Engine idle after turn off

GrndZero

TDI
2015 GSW-SE6spd
Engine fans running after turning off engine

I am new to TDI stuff and also new to turbos. There are some days that when I go to shut off the car and go into work or at home that the fan(i think) still runs for a short period of time. I contributed this to either engine cool down or turbo timing? Usually a smell is involved in this.
Does this mean I was running it too hard or was I running too low of a gear for the speed and engine was teetering on wanting to change gears and doing something to right itself?

Last edited:

roni024

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL DSG
What you are most likely hearing is called a Diesel Particulate Filter Regeneration. Search for 'DPF regen' on this forum and you'll find all the info you need.

GrndZero

TDI
2015 GSW-SE6spd
Thank you very much roni on DPF Regen. Looking into post for the regen thing. I had no idea about this and I think the VW dealership should tell people about this. The only thing they ever really mentioned is the Addblu.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Is there no mention of this DPF in the Owner's Manual? That would be the first place I would look.

gloaming

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf 6MT CR170 (Sold); 2004 R32 (not a TDI)
There is mention of it, but not enough to really inform the consumer. There isn't any mention of regens finishing after the car is shut off. In fact, I'm not even sure if they mention DPF regeneration at all in the manual.

GrndZero

TDI
2015 GSW-SE6spd
I will look again as I sometimes bring my manual into work and read while I am "monitoring" my work.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
There is mention of it, but not enough to really inform the consumer. There isn't any mention of regens finishing after the car is shut off. In fact, I'm not even sure if they mention DPF regeneration at all in the manual.
The regen isn't finishing after the car is off - a regen requires the engine to be running. What is happening is that the car is cooling the components that had previously been involved in the regen . . . a subtle, but important distinction . . . This is similar to how most cars with an electric cooling fan will also run the fan after shutdown if the engine is above a certain temp, and really deserves no more mention than the likely present note "The cooling fans may continue to run for some time after the car is shut off . . . " in the manual . . .

- Tim

Conrad -JSW

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW DSG
I am new to TDI stuff and also new to turbos. There are some days that when I go to shut off the car and go into work or at home that the fan(i think) still runs for a short period of time. I contributed this to either engine cool down or turbo timing? Usually a smell is involved in this.
Does this mean I was running it too hard or was I running too low of a gear for the speed and engine was teetering on wanting to change gears and doing something to right itself?
Why does your thread title say "engine idle after turn off"? To me this says that it's your engine running and not just the fan.

GrndZero

TDI
2015 GSW-SE6spd
Because at the time of writing it, I wasn't sure what it was. Now that you bring it up though, it does sound a bit silly as it clear it is fans running and not the engine.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
I did not know about the lack of info in the owner's manual; my bad.

GrndZero

TDI
2015 GSW-SE6spd
Didn't know I could change the title without a mods help. I found it in advanced.