Engine died and glow plug light

d2freeman

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
Heading to work this AM car was running fine, abut 30 miles into the drive I stop at a stoplight and thought I smelled diesel fuel, about a mile later the engine dies and I coast to the side of the road, get out and open the hood and diesel fuel is all over the engine, pull the engine cover and diesel is dripping from the bottom of the cover, I do not see anything leaking.
I checked the supply and return fuel connections as the supply connector popped off 2 weeks ago in a parking lot.
Only code was for low fuel pressure. Tried to crank but noting but a click until I cleared the code, then the engine started again and then glow plug light started flashing so I shut it off and called a tow truck.
As we are getting back on the highway on the way back home I see the stream what I assume is diesel down the road.
Get home and unload the car and try to crank again so i can put in the garage and no luck and the low oil light comes on?
I check the oil and nothing is showing on the dip stick, first thought is the tow truck cracked the oil pan with the chains, but nope, just a coating of oil and diesel on everything. Drained the oil and it has maybe 2 qts of oil. It was full the day before.
Where did the oil go? And how could that be related to the fuel everywhere.

jw4free

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
Ah, man. No...
I'm shedding a tear for the high mileage champ.

With any luck is will be something obvious, and not a HPFP or turbo.

d2freeman

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
Yep, just rolled over 330k last week, been too busy with work to even look at it other than draining the oil to see how much was left and re-filling.
Hopefully this week-end I will find something.

d2freeman

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
We'll on the drive home I was thinking about this and maybe the 2 are simply not related. I have had a small oil drip for going on 2 years now on the back passenger side of the engine, pretty much think it is the cam cradle seal as the cam seal was not leaking, I have a pigmat on the inside of the belly pan to catch the small amount of oil, well 2 weeks ago I noticed a small oil drip under the car and checked the oil and it was maybe a qt low, so I thought maybe the leak had gotten worse as it never leaked enough between oil changes to see a difference on the stick. So I topped it up. This past week-end I did my 330k oil change and did not check the level before hand but the pigmat had a lot more oil than normal so I figured maybe the cam seal was finally leaking (even ordered one). So what I think is that the oil filter housing is leaking again, this time it is the oil side.
I did a quick look when I got home and indeed it looks like the housing is leaking oil.

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat sedan - SOLD; 2013 Passat DSG; both purchased new
Did the O-ring on the housing get messed up when you changed the filter? Or is there something broken. If the O-ring is out of whack you will lose a lot of oil very quickly . . .

d2freeman

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
Car is back running, fuel supply hose to the HPFP was the culprit that cause the massive fuel leak, lost 1/2 tank of fuel and burnt up the in tank fuel pump. Lost fuel so fast the fuel gas was still showing fuel and not on drop in the tank. (Fuel light was also not on)
Replaced the pump and a new hose and good to go. Still unsure about the oil, driven around town this week-end without the belly pan and no
oil spots under the car. Just going to carry a jug oil oil in the car a motor on.