Engine dead, glow plug light stays on.

cbhansen

TDI
94 Passat 1.9TDI 1Z engine, 84 Golf II modified with 1Z engine
Hi there,

I found that I had a broken wire - a black one - in the bundle of wires comming from the ECU into the engine department. I decided to track it to find out which sensor it belonged to. I did that by measuring resistance from the broken wire to the black wires I could find in the different connectors.

I finally found where it went - to the connector supposed to go to a digital speed sensor. My car is a Golf II equiped with a 1995 1Z engine - 1.9L TDI. It doesn't have a digital speedometer so the wire that was broken went to a connector not connected to anything.

Anyway, having realised that I had to go for a drive. When I turned the key the glow plug light went on. But it didn't quit after the usual 4 seconds (It's winther here in Denmark). It stayed on for about 16 seconds.

The startermoter could crank the engine but the engine didm't start. I tried to mesh with the connectors I had previously disconnected but with no result. The glow plug light just stays on - it doesn't even flash - which I thought it would.

On the one end of the engine (gear box) there is a big round connector. I think this may be where the problem is, but I'm not sure.

Do any of you guys have an idea of where I should look when the glow plug light stays on without flashing and the startermoter cranks the engine but the engine doesn't start.

Can the ECU get "error congestion", so that it won't let the engine start even if everyting is back to normal?

Hope to hear some good news

Thanks

cbhansen

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
If the GPs stayed on that long, it was due to the coolant temperature sensor showing an open circuit.

My suspicion is that you have more than one broken wire. And perhaps the one you found was not vehicle speed, but engine speed. Without the engine speed sensor, the engine won't start because it is used by the ECU to synch up with TDC of the #1 cylinder.

cbhansen

TDI
94 Passat 1.9TDI 1Z engine, 84 Golf II modified with 1Z engine
It seems as the multiconnector located above the gearbox is not working. I had a helper press VERY hard on both the connector parts while I checked the GP lamp. I went out after 3-4 seconds - as it should.

The plastic of the connector seems 'old'. Many of the little tabs that is supposed to make the plastic parts lock to each other are broken. The connector doesn't seem able to hold the connection.

I checked with the local VW dealer for new connectors. The database showed no connectors on store in Denmark. If there was it would have been approx 100$ - rather expensive I think! Usually they sell only complete wirering with connectors - and I don't wonna know the cost of this!

Any one of you tried this situation before? Do you get the connectors and move all approx 15 wires on both halfs of the connector, or do you forget about the connector and simlpy solder the wires? - or put in a load of little connectors?

Thanks
cbhansen

Nutsnbolts

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2000 Jetta, Silver Arrow
Cb:

If it were me, I would go with the factory stuff. Yes, I'm good with solder and even crimping some connectors together, but I have never seen harnesses fit together better than with the factory equipment. If money is an issue, and you don't think you'll need to take the connectors apart again, then solder them up. Otherwise, the other inexpensive route is using individual connectors to link the harness back up. Definately possible, but be careful to support the wires properly after such an arraingment to that there is not too much stress on the connectors themselves.

I'd stick with the factory piece- It will be prettier!!!

-Rich