Engine Block Heater and MPG

Papachristou

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 VW Passat SE DSG
Good Luck! it took me about 6 hours to install mine... but then again i did not have the right tools as i am in temproary housing... so about 3 of those hours was spending looking for something that would 'work'.

I suggest using the reccomendation from FrostHeater on how to take off the engine hose connection. Once you get the paperwork you will see what i mean when you get there - PM me if you have any questions or Terry is a great resource too and has great customer service!
how is that helpful? you openly say you are in temp housing and didnt have the right tools but lament the 6 hours it took you to install it like it is a very difficult process.

No matter how complex or simple the job is, you need to review all the instructions/process and have the right tools ready to go.

kromicacid

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL - Fixed
how is that helpful? you openly say you are in temp housing and didnt have the right tools but lament the 6 hours it took you to install it like it is a very difficult process.
I am not lamenting that the job took 6 hours, I am simply stating that the job can be done quicker with the correct tools. And about 3 hours of those 6 we used searching for something or other.

No matter how complex or simple the job is, you need to review all the instructions/process and have the right tools ready to go.
Correct, but when the exact tools are not listed on what you will need prior to beginning it is difficult to make sure you have the right tools at hand. On the skid plate there are 2 types of Torx bolts. I had the smaller size, but needed to find something for the larger ones - and eventually used an allen wrench.

How is your post helpful?

kromicacid

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL - Fixed
Im pretty sure the FrostHeater does. i may have misread this but:
from http://www.frostheater.com/ 1/2 way down the page
• Thermostatically controlled prevents over-heating

From the ZeroStart manual: (4MB file - http://www.phillipsandtemro.com/userfiles/file/ZEROSTART_2012_CATALOG(1).pdf)
Temperature sensing thermostat provides overheat protection. Regulating thermostats included in three heat ranges.

And on Page 75 it states the On/Off cyle Regulating Thermostat Range.

Not sure about OEM - do not know what they use, or the information on anything OEM for a block/coolant heater.

Last edited:

ranjr13

TDI
2012 Passat SEL
Parts for Canadian Engine Heater

I'm a big proponent of the use of the Canadian engine heater that came from the dealer in my 2012 TDI SEL Passat. Unfortunately, the door and/or spring to keep the plug mounted on the grille as photographed on page 2 of this string has worn out. My Connecticut (USA) dealer says they can not get parts for the heater - no diagrams, no part numbers etc. Does anyone have access to parts to replace on this part that apparently only went to Canada, but came through on my car at my request when I ordered it? Thanks.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I'm a big proponent of the use of the Canadian engine heater that came from the dealer in my 2012 TDI SEL Passat. Unfortunately, the door and/or spring to keep the plug mounted on the grille as photographed on page 2 of this string has worn out. My Connecticut (USA) dealer says they can not get parts for the heater - no diagrams, no part numbers etc. Does anyone have access to parts to replace on this part that apparently only went to Canada, but came through on my car at my request when I ordered it? Thanks.
I'm sure one of our vendors - IDParts, World Impex, Bora Parts, etc. can order that part for you.