End of the Passat

TDIBone

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagon TDI
Another victim of the SUV craze.

I often thought the TDI was the only thing the Passat had over its competition, but I'm biased.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
I loved my '92 gasser sedan... and it was a POS.... and it was still super enjoyable to drive compared to that era of comparable vehicles

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
I had an '03 with the 1.8T gasser and a '14 TDI. Both cars served us well, and the only reason I sold the TDI back to VW was because the offer was too good to pass up. But I also have to say that at 67 years old, I prefer the higher seating position of the smaller CUVs. It's hell getting in and out of my daughter's GTI.

taleAwaggin

Veteran Member
TDI
rollin in my two point oh, panoramic back so my hair can blow
I've not driven the earlier ones, but I can two cent the last one. The late model was great driver with the fiver manual and the ea888. I think that combo ended 6 years ago. Sight lines are much better than some of the other late model sedans. I get in a lot of late model sedans and they feel like a cave. Changing lanes on the highway is relatively a pleasure in the Passat. Power to MPG is up there with the best too. It was rated at "170" but it drove like a car that had more than that. Some others makes drive like they have less than their rated power.

For a car that drove like it had 50 horse more than its rating it did very well on highway fuel use. Trunk space excellent. Rear legroom unbeatable. Curb weight for its chassis size was extremely low. The only downsides on my drives were the suspension tuning and over active traction control. Both of which prevent too much fun from being had. Minor gripes for a cruiser commuter. That uncannily flat torque curve is so nice for a road car, not something easily found elsewhere. Understated styling is probably a negative to most new car buyers, but I like that about it. The some would call it "blah" styling is probably what did it in.

Long live the Passat.

ts888

Veteran Member
TDI
03 ALH
I had an OG B1 2 door hatchback, I think a 1978, dubbed a Dasher in the US. Slushbox so dog slow, and with the AC on, incapable of climbing a hill. Still enjoyed it. Good car for hauling mountain bikes around back when bike suspension was soft tires.

BeauDaugherty

TDI
2012 Volkswagen Tiguan 2.0 TDI BlueMotion Tech Sport SUV 5dr Diesel
Your love for your '92 Passat, despite its problems, really hits home for me. Knowing the Passat won't be made anymore feels sad like we're losing a good old friend who's been through a lot with us. The way you remember your '92 Passat shows just how special that car was to many of us.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I have a '96 and '97, and my son has a '15, all TDIs of course. I still enjoy driving the B4s although they clearly are not new cars any longer. My son's '15 has been remarkably trouble free. It's a great car for a young family, because car seats fit well in the back.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
I have a '96 and '97, and my son has a '15, all TDIs of course. I still enjoy driving the B4s although they clearly are not new cars any longer. My son's '15 has been remarkably trouble free. It's a great car for a young family, because car seats fit well in the back.
We were looking at a "15 a few years ago, the rear seats are cavernous.

BeauDaugherty

TDI
2012 Volkswagen Tiguan 2.0 TDI BlueMotion Tech Sport SUV 5dr Diesel
I've been looking at '15 recently. Seems like a great car. I was thinking of buying it, but I thought of looking for more feedback before purchasing.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
The CVCA engine is far superior to the CKRA that was in the 12-14. The CKRA didn't adapt to the emissions fix well, causing a range of issues including heater core failures, oil coolers melting, turbo failures, and other issues. Flashed back to pre-fix parameters or deleted they seem much better. But the CVCA seems to work fine. The Passat has some other issues that can pop up including head unit failure (usually a firmware update will fix it) and headlights coming apart. There's a repair kit for that. But otherwise they seem good. And if you look hard you might find one with a manual transmission.