End of my B4S?

Ralphy

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat TDI sedan, 1997, silver, ABS
I bought that car new 25 years ago, but it has seen better days. I'm concerned about the front frame; would you also say it's the end?

Last edited:

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
The pics would need to be uploaded here or to another hosting platform. I use post image.

-Todd

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
I saw a heat shield that dropped, a torn boot on a parking brake cable, a plastic deflector that’s loose, some floor pan rust, brake line rust, and rust at the front subframe…. It is almost 25 years old.

All of that is fixable in my book, but I’d be the one doing the work. I suppose if you’re paying a shop, it’d probably be expensive to the point that you want to get rid of it. You need to weigh your options. Fix your old, probably reliable car or get into a newer car with likely a bunch more options and creature comfort. Both have their advantages…

-Todd

Ralphy

Veteran Member
TDI
There is rust on the rear strut towers too, and I'm also losing coolant at WOT because of compression in the cooling system. So, I'd need at least a new head gasket and possibly a new... body shell.

volksguy

Veteran Member
Get a cheep VR6 stick shift Body From Texas and move the Rest to it then you have 25 more years. Or Get a new one And Have all the Problems . No Turbo models if you want any kind of engine life. Toyota is about all i would Trust . Being in the car business for 30 years

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Are there still good VR body shells around? I don't see any B4s anymore, anywhere, it seems.

Ralphy

Veteran Member
TDI
Get a cheep VR6 stick shift Body From Texas and move the Rest to it then you have 25 more years. Or Get a new one And Have all the Problems . No Turbo models if you want any kind of engine life. Toyota is about all i would Trust . Being in the car business for 30 years

Anybody from south western USA? My mechanic's cousin got a 96 B4 in very good shape. In France...

Last edited:

Ralphy

Veteran Member
TDI
Are you going to drive 3,000 miles to get it?
Good question, especially after seing the Diesel fuel price jump to 2.35/L today. I'd consider taking a one way flight from Burlington to bring back an excellent condition B4 TDI. For a shell, shipping would be more appropriate. Is there any economical logic to it? Absolutely not.

Last edited: