End links going out on these common?

Nutty 5.0

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW SEL TDI 6MT
I’ve noticed on mine with 88k and even sis in laws (both 15 GSW’s) clicking on small bumps at low speeds. I’ve had both in the lift and have price all the ball joints and tie rod ends and feel they’re solid.

I see Whiteline makes some really nice ones but we’re stock ride height and wheels. I’m willing to spend the money if those say they’re going to hold up. But if new stock are best I’m ok with that too. Just trying to figure out the best action to fix the noise.

Thanks for any help.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
You sure it's end links? stock strut mounts and LCA are known junk on the MQB platform.

Easy test is disconnect end links and drive around.

I've sourced Moog rear end links (AWD Alltrack) for my RSB and would source them for fronts as well, cant beat the cheapness.

mishkaya

TDIClub Contributor
TDI
'06 Jetta 5MT, '10 JSW MT, '14 JSW 6MT
Not sure about the MKVII, but on the sportwagen, I go through front and rear end links rather quickly, especially the fronts. I would say don't bother with the Whiteline, as in my experience they did not last any longer than the lemforders I usually get. I came across a good deal on mevotech end links, we'll see if those hold up any better...

mishkaya

TDIClub Contributor
TDI
'06 Jetta 5MT, '10 JSW MT, '14 JSW 6MT
Loose, how? Do the bushes pull out of the eyes, disintegrate, what?
Yes, the bushes pull out of the eyes after time. Last set has already been thrown in the trash, otherwise I would have posted a pic.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Mines been doing it for about 2 years now, can hear it when I go through drive thru's that have bumps. I asked dealer to check them shortly after I started hearing noise and they said everything was fine....

AGOODHI

Veteran Member
TDI
MKVII GSW, MKVI Golf
i'm not sure if its the end links, but mine sometimes pops when parking and turning wheel.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
Yep my old 300k miles 2011 JSW had them going bad. One side was literally bent LOL. You should have seen my face when I saw it. Other side was getting loose, replaced and problem solved. No more noises.

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
i'm not sure if its the end links, but mine sometimes pops when parking and turning wheel.
This may not be your issue, but the LCA rear bushings get very hard and dry over time and when the edges of the voids contact the center during parking while turning, they make a very noticeable noise that ranges from a loud creak to a pop. It's amazing how hard to the touch the rubber becomes; just running your finger over the contact areas will cause a squeak, like rubbing glass. Pretty easy remedy: silicone grease.