emissions workshop- air sound, low power- need help

maktas

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI
Yesterday, I noticed air sound coming from the IP, almost like it was coming from the defog vents in the very front of the IP, only during acceleration. It went into limp mode and gave me "emissions workshop". Clearly I have a hose/vacuum leak somewhere. I tried looking for it myself, but I could not find it. Can anyone help with this in terms of where and what the problem.

Thanks

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
By "IP" I'm assuming that you mean intake piping? The most common place that leaks is the hose that goes from the turbo to the crossover pipe. There is a cable harness that rubs a hole in the hose. Easiest access to the hose is from the bottom. Remove the skid plate, and look under the passenger side; the hose snakes down from the turbo then toward the front of the car where it connects to the crossover pipe. I replaced one recently on our wagon. Mine was split, not worn through as the harness had been tied out of the way.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=387061

Also replaced all of the o-ring seals on the rest of the hoses.

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
But he is hearing it at the firewall - where the other most common place is. Check the 90 degree bend hose that goes from the intake manifold down the back of the engine. It splits on the bend next to the firewall. I had 2 of these go on mine.

dlai

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat, Stonehenge Gray, 2002 Black Golf 5M
But he is hearing it at the firewall - where the other most common place is. Check the 90 degree bend hose that goes from the intake manifold down the back of the engine. It splits on the bend next to the firewall. I had 2 of these go on mine.
Had this one go on me a few weeks ago as well. If you hear it at the firewall, it's probably this hose. Bottom of the hose was rubbing on the engine and created a hole.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Kind of hard to hear exactly where the sound is coming from from inside the car. When my hose failed, it sounded like the leak was coming from under the front passenger seat. OP will need to check the entire charge air circuit from the turbo to the intake manifold...4 hoses.