Emissions Testing and Traction Control

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
So I went to emissions (Tucson) and they said they couldn't put it on the treadmill because of the traction control and they don't have an idle test for a diesel so basically I waited in line 40 min and handed them $9.50 and got my "passed" certificate, they didn't even raise the hood or look underneath, no snap test, nada. I didn't even know the S trim had traction control, there isn't any way to shut it off?

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
It's in the menus of the infotainment. Don't recall exactly where, maybe in the Car section.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Shoot, I'd much rather pay the $9.50 and not have those clowns have to drive my car, LOL. Not sure why you are complaining! When they had that dumbass IM240 testing here it was a nightmare. Fortunately it didn't last too long before we went back to decentralized testing, and just an OBD test on OBD2 compliant cars at that. Easy, non-invasive, no driving required.

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
Not complaining at all, just remarking what a joke it is. I could have been fully deleted and they wouldn't have a clue.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The joke is that it really doesn't "do" anything. It is typically just to get Federal road money... which is... taxpayer money in the first place. So we jump through hoops to get 50 cents on the dollar back that were taken. THAT is the joke. This may not apply in every area, but it applies in the STL area. What they really should do, and it would be easier, and really for most folks cheaper and less of a headache, is to just up the price of the plate renewals based on the age of the vehicle, or the "tonnage" of CO2 output, or whatever you want to base it on.

Fortunately for us, they only require the OBD test if you drive more than 12k miles in two years (not many people know this). So my F150, that cannot ever pass the OBD test because it is a one-year-only setup (1996) and Ford doesn't make the parts necessary to fix it, never needs to be tested. Last interval I only put 8k miles on it. But I'd gladly pay $100 (instead of $50) for my two year plate if that is what they wanted to allow me to drive my "old gross polluter".

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
We have OBD testing on 1996 and newer gasoline vehicles under 8,000 LBS GVWR, everything else goes on the treadmill. You would think with VW extending the emissions warranties they would forgo testing on them just like they do for gasoline vehicles that are still under emissions warranty.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
Ca. plugs into the obd port to check for codes/markers, visual, thats it.

Ill be doing my 1st test in the next mo. but talking to a couple testers the non delete tune isnt an issue

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
The green 40amp fuse under the hood will kill the ABS from cutting in on a dyno. Turning off in the cabin doesn't work for this purpose, at least not for a dyno. I would think a treadmill wouldn't cause any issues at all though since all wheels would be spinning the same.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
I passed in CA with a non-delete tune, OBD and visual.

2011 mk6 6m with Karma non Deere.

Just had my 1st Ca. biannual smog...

PASS ZERO issues