Emissions Test??

01tdiJEtt

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I have straight pipes from the turbo back, (2.5in) no cat no resonator. Will i have any issue getting e-tested and passing?
If so how can i avoid the problems if any arise...

Please help.

ludikris

Veteran Member
TDI
Colorado diesel
provided you aren't "seeing smoke beyond 5 seconds of turning on the vehicle you are ok"

the test is merely a visual one... try and find someone you know or see Atilla at Vintest

VwPodRacer

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta PD150, 98 Jetta TDI
i get emission tests done for PPl.. since im in the business of Trucks and Buses and know ppl.. Pm me if you need help;) Not hard to do.. my Jetta passed with a 3" straight pipe, no cat or muffler:D

OmegaRenegade

Vendor
TDI
2004 Jetta
VwPodRacer said:
i get emission tests done for PPl.. since im in the business of Trucks and Buses and know ppl.. Pm me if you need help;) Not hard to do.. my Jetta passed with a 3" straight pipe, no cat or muffler:D
thats really good to know! i may end up using you when the time arrises to get my emissions done.

TyeRant

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2003, Silver
I just had mine done recently at one of the quick lube type places. I backed up to the shop front window and told told him it was a diesel. He asked me if it had been running for longer than 5 min. I said yes and he passed it without stepping outside the shop.:D

ludikris

Veteran Member
TDI
Colorado diesel
oh is it 5 mins.. woops.. lol...

yah Pod... I wanna get that setup you have... just not right now... need suspension, spacers and my lip kit painted and put on....:)

REDNECKDZL

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, 2015 Jetta, 1984 Wabbit TD, 1986 RX7 waiting on AHU swap
gotta love the diesel money grab

odinsjetta

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI Wagon
OH3Hoser said:
especially when it passes with the egr removed.
Most emissions test people probably wouldn't know what they egr looks like anyway. My dad's passed a few years ago with a Race Pipe. It looks like it was supposed to come that way.:cool:

craig01b

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
While I agree with all the above posts, dont blame the mechanic who does actually look, and fails your car for a missing cat....after all, he(she) is only doing his/her job.

If my signature was going on the paperwork, I would look, and fail your car in an instant....so, be aware, you may be spending money and *****ing afrerwards. A missing CAT is an instant failure....if they look, or care....

Craig

Last edited:

dataiv

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Wagon TDI 6MT
Just had mine done this morning. They now type it all into the system instead of writing it out on paper by hand, but they don't check anything electronically (like using an OBD-II interface). He looked at the tail pipe and looked under the hood, presumably for an EGR. Did not look under the car, even though I do have a CAT, so no problems there.

Still, one of the quickest $36.75 I've ever spent.

craig01b

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
Yup, its usually a no brainer, but, you never know....and if you get caught, please don't squeal about spending the extra money....sympathy will be the last thing offered on the list.

Craig