Emissions Test (Sensors not ready)

ctennyson

TDI
2010 Jetta
Hello Gents,

Just had my 2010 Jetta Tdi run through the emissions test at the local Cdn Tire, only to fail the damm thing. It failed due to 3 sensors in a not ready state.

No CEL on but recently had to change an oxygen sensor. I've driven about 1000 km since. I have a vag com, is there a way to set these sensors to a ready state ?

The following sensors are in a "Not Ready" state.

PM Filter
Exhaust Gas Sensor
NOx/SCR Aftertreatment
NMHC Catalyst

How can these be reset ?

Thanks

Last edited:

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
They can only reset by driving. When was the last time the battery was disconnected?

If that was also 1000km ago, what kind of driving have you been doing? Have you been able to take it for a run on the highway? Some of the readiness monitors need a higher (highway) temp for an extended period before they will set as complete.

ctennyson

TDI
2010 Jetta
The battery was not disconnected for a few months, probably 4 months.

For the 1000km, I drive on the QEW every day (30 mins each way to work)

Can I check the state of these monitors with a Vag Com ?

FXDL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI with DSG
You only have till June 2018 and it won't be allowed on the road in Ontario. You will not be able license it period.

FXDL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI with DSG
They can't or don't want to fit them with diesel exhaust fuild etc so they are, or rather we are **** out of luck the..........

FXDL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI with DSG
I bought a 2015 from a vw dealer which will meet ontario emissions as they have DEF and by 2018 September will have to have the exhaust upgrade to further meet emissions.

FXDL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI with DSG
I wish I were wrong as my 2010 is payed for and now $ again. Better get them to buy it back as you only have till September 2018

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
Let's see a link to VW Canada that states this. Sounds like a good sales pitch by the dealer to me.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Yes you can. If your car didn't get all the systems ready then there is a problem that the ECU needs to test longer to determine if that system will pass or fail. You have something that is borderline pass or fail.

FXDL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI with DSG
Well I may be wrong, but if so show me where vw shows an upgrade for our dirty diesels 2009 2014 so we will past the e test.

FXDL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI with DSG
My 2010 car is due in September for its first e test and no way will they have anything for it by then. Look how long it took to get to this point

FXDL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI with DSG
Hope I am wrong but if not then you all going to be **** out of luck when it comes to e testing and renewing your license plates

FXDL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI with DSG
I stand corrected and apologize as called emissions ontario and vw line and I am incorrect. I bought a 2015 and will stick with it as 5 years newer and 400000 less kms on it. They do have a dead line to correct the cars.

igiveup

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat, 2009 Jetta
I had an A4 that would not go into the ready state either. I followed the "drive cycle" for resetting readiness. I drove it to Florida and back and it still didn't have the readiness state set. I ended up paying for 3 e-test. test 1, test 2, and a tail pipe test (it was a gasser)

Ah, the good old days with just the visual test for Diesels. yep, no smoke at idle, good to go.

FXDL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI with DSG
We must keep ourselves informed by checking fact and not Verbal like I did. Vw should inform there dealers and sales men to shut their mouths and direct people to the Web with the facts and in fact they should read it too.

Last edited:

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
VW keeps the dealers well informed but a salesmen will say whatever it takes to sell a car. Looks like you got suckered into buying one. Bahaha!! :)

Jlaasf

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI
If I hit enter on my keyboard, I wonder what happens?

Oh, I can type a 2nd line!

mjhandy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Touareg TDI

The VCDS will tell you what codes are stored. You can clear the ready states too.

Do a full scan, post the codes, then go from there.

Jlaasf

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI
LOL. I almost fell out of my chair when I read that!
:D

I love forums. Always entertaining!

I actually still check in from time to time on the very first car forum I joined in the early 2000's.