Emissions test in Vancouver....

RichCA

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GL, 2002, Red
I was wondering if anyone in Vancouver runs a vnt17, big nozzles, etc, and how these setups do in emmisions tests there? I'm interested because I'm moving from Ontario where it's just a visual check and want to know if my car has a chance to pass since I notice they hook up a scan tool and check the ecu there.

Any info would be great.

Thanks,

Rich

icecap

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta TDI 5Spd Black Anthracite Pkg 1
AirCare Test

RichCA said:
I was wondering if anyone in Vancouver runs a vnt17, big nozzles, etc, and how these setups do in emmisions tests there? I'm interested because I'm moving from Ontario where it's just a visual check and want to know if my car has a chance to pass since I notice they hook up a scan tool and check the ecu there.

Any info would be great.

Thanks,

Rich
Hi Rich,
Tired of winter? Unless your car smokes badly you should do fine. I haven't had to AirCare a diesel for nearly 6 years since I gave my old Diesel rabbit to my daughter and now my 2006.5 Jetta TDI is exempt for 7 years. The AirCare test for diesels only check opacity while running loaded on a dyno at 40km/h. They do not scan the ECU or even look under the hood. If your car burns relatively clean you won't have a problem and a bit of smoke on acceleration should be OK. My old Naturally aspirated Rabbit used to smoke badly so I used to buy "pass insurance" before the test. I went through the when I was down to 1/4 tank to which I added 1L of kerosene. When I left the test facility I headed for the nearest service station to fill up the tank. My test results using the "Pass Insurance" were always well within permissible limits. If my information is no longer correct please update and add what you know.
Frank
PS Welcome to BC

N_J

Veteran Member
TDI
VW 2002 Golf 5 speed TDI Indigo Blue Pearl
Hey and welcome.
I did the western migration from Ontario as well. Where about in Ontario?

THere is a good TDI group out here.

I had to do the safety test and emission when i brought my TDI from Ontario.
Only opacity and CEL, so I wouldn't worry about it. Make sure you are ok for safety (lights, tire tread, etc)
Oh and BTW, no front window tint allowed here. Ask me how I know :)

Come out to a GTG in Langley and meet the native westerner's and the imports from the east like me and Bosley.

Feel free to PM me if you need any assistance auto or otherwise in doing the move.

PS.
Get a reference letter from your insurance company in Ontario. They can xfer up to 8 years of good driving I think. Hold on to the Ontario plates as long as you can though. Public ain't cheaper.

bluesmoker

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 pd 5 speed tip
icecap said:
Hi Rich,
Tired of winter? Unless your car smokes badly you should do fine. I haven't had to AirCare a diesel for nearly 6 years since I gave my old Diesel rabbit to my daughter and now my 2006.5 Jetta TDI is exempt for 7 years. The AirCare test for diesels only check opacity while running loaded on a dyno at 40km/h. They do not scan the ECU or even look under the hood. If your car burns relatively clean you won't have a problem and a bit of smoke on acceleration should be OK. My old Naturally aspirated Rabbit used to smoke badly so I used to buy "pass insurance" before the test. I went through the when I was down to 1/4 tank to which I added 1L of kerosene. When I left the test facility I headed for the nearest service station to fill up the tank. My test results using the "Pass Insurance" were always well within permissible limits. If my information is no longer correct please update and add what you know.
Frank
PS Welcome to BC
Actually the test is now a lot different. It is a true "driving test" but a relatively clean running car should pass. If you are really worried try some B50 in the tank before you go; it really cleans up the opacity and smoke. (from the air car site)

D147 Test Procedure for Diesel Vehicles

1. All diesel-powered vehicles are driven on a transient drive cycle using the second phase of the IM240 driving trace. This gives a test duration of 147 seconds. The cycle appears essentially the same as is used for gasoline vehicles. Diesel vehicle emissions testing will be conducted only in Lane 1 at all AirCare Inspection Centres.
  2. The dynamometer inertia and horsepower is taken from the EPA look-up table for an equivalent gasoline vehicle, whenever such exists. In other cases, as for gasoline vehicles, which do not appear in the look-up table, the inertia and horsepower is taken from the look-up table default values.
  3. The opacity is measured using Wager opacity meter carts, modified to accommodate the increased exhaust mass-flow by increasing the pipe diameter (equal to actual optical path length) to 4 inches.
  4. When it exits the opacity cart, the exhaust is removed via the 700-CFV IM240 blower, using ducting which bypasses the IM240 CVS and sampling systems.
  5. Opacity is measured continuously throughout the 147 second test. The analogue voltage output from the opacity meter is passed to the measurement system, which performs the following functions:
    • Signal filtering to remove high frequency transients
    • Analogue to digital conversion with 0.5 second averaging period
    • Identification of peak 0.5 second averaged value
    • Ambient conditions correction
    • Beer-Lambert horsepower correction
  6. The ambient conditions correction and the Beer-Lambert correction is performed in accordance with the equations which appear in appendices to SAE J1667.
  7. The standard optical path length, on which the Beer-Lambert correction is taken from the table, is based on the age and engine size of the vehicle. This avoids the need for an additional database of light-duty diesel vehicle horsepower ratings, and is analogous to using a mass emissions standard for spark-ignition engine vehicles.
  8. The value obtained after applying these calculations to peak 0.5s averaged value is taken as the vehicle opacity reading.
  9. Pass/Fail decision is made by comparing the vehicle opacity reading with the maximum allowable emissions standards, which currently are set at 30%.
  10. Diesel vehicles which can not be run on the dynamometer receive a high-idle test, with three high-idles being performed within the normal 147 second measuring period. The measurement protocol is the same as if an actual driving cycle was performed.
  11. The Vehicle Inspection Report (VIR) includes a section specifically for diesel tests.
  12. The Diagnostic Trace Report (DTR) provides a second-by-second plot of corrected opacity readings for all vehicles which fail inspection.
http://www.cascadiabiofuels.com/locations.htm

LA@JSPerformance.ca

Vendor , w/Business number
RichCA said:

Any info would be great.

Thanks,

Rich
Hi Rich,

Out of province vehicles require a Provincial inspection in order to be licensed in BC, as a result of this you are given a 1 year Air Care exemption.

There has been some major changes to the Air Care regulations as of this year. The biggest being that vehicles newer than 1998 require a complete download prior to any emission testing. If there are any faut codes (DTC's) or Readiness code not set, you are automatically given a failure sheet. You are required to correct this and then have the vehicle retested.

For more info go to the Air Care website:

http://www.aircare.ca/
Eligible 1998 and newer model year vehicles are subjected to a scan of their On-Board Diagnostic (OBD) system. The OBD system continuously monitors the condition and operation of key emission control systems and emissions-related components in the vehicle.

drkblujetta

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Audi A4 ALH TDI
We do run that set-up, except we use an adjustable tuning box for our

tuning. We have NOT gone through aircare yet with the set-up, but

in all theory, we can simply crank down the fueling for no smoke. :cool:

DieselRus

TDI
Jetta 2000 TDI
I passed aircare. Big Deal.

Being from Quebec, I never had to do any aircares or clean air thing.
I guess they rather argue about separation and stuff. To the point now.
Today I passed my first air care. What a joke.
I have a 1999.5 Jetta with almost 300k on the odometer.
So over the week end I cleared the code that was on the computer (nothing that would affect any emmisions).
Since I was a bit worried about the whole procedure I looked it up and it looked like there will be doing a full load test.
Here is what happened. 3 min in line.
Asked for my insurance and credit card.
Asked me to move forward, get out of the car, they looked under, they connected the OBD looked at the pipe.
Done.
Not even 5 minutes.
Because I was a bit worried, I went and put about $17 worth of B50, but thinking back, I don't think I had to do it.
Just my 2 cents.

P.S I also posted it in emmisions thread

Cheers

SuperChicken

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Touareg TDI
When it comes to aircare my Jetta next year (pp764's, tuning box, no cat, etc) I won't be changing any settings to see just how "bad" a car can get.

That said, apparently now my smoky diesel is a mortal sin according to the Catholic Church. :)