Emissions Service Action 24P9/P5

goTDIcandy

Veteran Member
TDI
white 05 Golf
Hi! Wondering whether any of you has gotten this TSB - "Emissions Service Action 24P9/P5 -- 2005-2006 Model Year VW ... Golf with Diesel Engine and Manual Transmission Check/Update ECM Software",
date July 2009.
What is this for, what will they do, is it necessary?
What did you do?
My TDI is a 2005 Golf with 45,000miles.
Thanks!
Looking forward to the TDI Fest!
Kristina

greenjetta

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS TDI//2005 Passat GLS TDI
I have recieved Emissions Service Action 28E6/R8. And I own a 2001 TDI Jetta GLS with 135,000 miles, and a 2005 TDI Passat wagon with 89,800 miles. I have know mods to either car. But I am concerned where there information is going. It could go to the state or EPA for additional taxes. What is the consenses?

jtriangle

TDI
2006 PD Beetle
I called one dealer and the mechanic said they will replace the glow plugs (ceramic can crack and fall into the cylinder causing engine failure...but he's never seen it happen) and change the ECM software. He wasn't able to tell me what numbers were changed.

Letter:
Emissions Service Action 24P9/P5
affects some 2005-2006 MY VW Diesel manuals
"Problem: electronic control module (ECM) software for the emissions monitoring system can cause affected vehicles to exceed Federal and/or California emissions standards....
"If the ECM in your vehicle has been 'chipped,' 'tuned,' or otherwise modified from original factory specifications with aftermarket components and/or software, work needed to repair, replace, or return the ECM to original factory specifications is NOT covered under this action."
Takes about an hour to fix.

diesel4ever

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2000, black
I have had this recall done on my 2004 Jetta. The mileage is not worse, but I haven't driven to use the full tank yet. According to my fuel gauge it appears to be even better. Also, the car feels peppier, but I can't quantify it.
My brother-in-law has the same vehicle. I did replace his glow plugs a while ago and #3 was missing the tip. However the car is running excellent (now with 414,000km on it).

spyderhead

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 TDI Golf
No more smoke/warning light

I had this recall service done to my 2004 Beetle. Over the past few months, I had noticed more black smoke than ever and the idiotic "check engine" light came on and off every week or so. Since the repair, no idiot light and no - NO - smoke on acceleration.

KenD

Glow plugs

My car is at the dealer right now they tell me the glow plug harness is broken and that to replace it will cost 210.00. Has anyone else had this problem? I am the first person I have heard of who's harness is no good the car is a 05 with 55000.

Thank's Ken

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
Someone else posted about this. Appears the dealer may have musceled it off and broke it. He got the dealer to cover the harness, but had to put up a fight, I think.

--Nate