Emissions fix not complete - warranty questions

glester

TDI
2013 Passat 6M
Emissions fix not complete - warranty question

I ran into a VW (and an Audi) 3.0L TDI from the 2012-2014 timeframe that are for sale but haven’t had their emission modification completed. Since the extended warranty of 48k miles or 4 years starts on the date the fix is completed, does that mean that if I buy and then fix, the car would have the full extended warranty period? Anybody know if there is a deadline on when the extended warranty is no longer offered? Otherwise what would keep someone from avoiding it until there was something that needed to be fixed before going in for the emissions modification?
I did find something on the Audi USA page that says that says the following:

The 3.0L Settlement Program for Generation 2 vehicles ended on May 30, 2020.

December 31, 2019 – Claims Deadline: Deadline to complete a claim, including submitting required documents.

May 30, 2020 – Extended Deadline to Complete Emissions Compliant Repair.

June 21, 2020 – Claims Review Committee Appeal Deadline.

I’ve looked up vehicles that have had their emission modification after that May 2020 date. Anybody know if VAG would still consider those under warranty? It would seem disingenuous for them to state that it is covered when doing the lookup but then decline coverage because the fix was completed after their deadline of May 30, 2020. Anybody have any knowledge or experience with either of these things:

• ⁠if emissions modification completed after May 30, 2020 (on 3.0L TDI) and shows on the lookup tool as completed, will warranty be honored?
• ⁠if emissions modification not completed yet, if can I still get it done and extend the warranty for the 48k or 4 years?

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
Short answer is, contact HO and have them tell you.
Long answer is, all published info can be found here.

From what I know, if they haven't been "fixed" and the timeline has expired, they are more or less "illegal" to transfer\register..... but this may not be the case in all states, etc.

The "claim" stuff you've posted above only applies to damage payments and warranty covered reimbursements that the owners during the dieselgate scandal would've been entitled to.

glester

TDI
2013 Passat 6M
Short answer is, contact HO and have them tell you.
Long answer is, all published info can be found here.

From what I know, if they haven't been "fixed" and the timeline has expired, they are more or less "illegal" to transfer\register..... but this may not be the case in all states, etc.

The "claim" stuff you've posted above only applies to damage payments and warranty covered reimbursements that the owners during the dieselgate scandal would've been entitled to.
Yeah, I'm going to call Audi and/or VW customer service to see if I can get an answer there. As for the transfer/registration of vehicles that aren't fixed, I know that isn't the case (at least in most states in the US). I bought a car in California (one of the most strict) in 2019 that didn't have the "fix". Granted, it is a 2013 Passat manual...so there isn't a fix approved by the EPA. But I've seen enough for sale without the fix that I don't think that'll be the issue. I'm mostly concerned about if VWAG would honor the warranty if applied after a certain date. I'll report back after I chat with somebody in customer service.

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0
There was never a fix for manual Passats. You can buy/sell do whatever you want with them. However, there is no extended warranty because there was no fix.

glester

TDI
2013 Passat 6M
There was never a fix for manual Passats. You can buy/sell do whatever you want with them. However, there is no extended warranty because there was no fix.
There was one for the 2015 model I believe. The engine was a bit different for that year and had an approved fix.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
What year Passat had the 3L?
Isn't the OP asking about the 3L CR?

Edit:. Disregard... I read the post again and I see he's jumped ship now onto a Passat my bad.

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
2015 manual passats were “fixed” 2012-14 manual passats were not. I have a friend with a fixed manual 2015 passat.

TDItis

TDI
2016 Audi A6 TDI
This is a good question, I recently saw one that showed as emission fixed in late 2021.

I've seen a couple for sale that were eligible for the fix but the Audi emission lookup website said the fix had never been carried out. I was under the belief I could buy that vehicle, have the fix completed, and start the 4/48K coverage.

x1800MODMY360x

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
This is a good question, I recently saw one that showed as emission fixed in late 2021.

I've seen a couple for sale that were eligible for the fix but the Audi emission lookup website said the fix had never been carried out. I was under the belief I could buy that vehicle, have the fix completed, and start the 4/48K coverage.
There is no time limit for the fix to happen. The original deadline was for the payout/buy back.

Hell if you find a non fixed car, wait 10 years, then get the fix done. VW still have to honor the warranty.

TDItis

TDI
2016 Audi A6 TDI
There is no time limit for the fix to happen. The original deadline was for the payout/buy back.

Hell if you find a non fixed car, wait 10 years, then get the fix done. VW still have to honor the warranty.
That's what I thought, but when looking at the Audi documentation for the first time in a long time I do find this conflicting:

• May 30, 2020 – Extended Deadline to Complete Emissions Compliant Repair.

That's definitely worded as if there is a deadline in which to complete the repair, but I've seen vehicles with repair dates after that.