Emissiongate poll

Are you (when VW starts selling TDIs again):

• Total voters

euromade

Veteran Member
TDI
Back to the gasser world
Are you (when VW starts selling TDIs again):
1. Looking to trade in your TDI and get a gas VW?
2. Looking to trade in your TDI and buy a non-VW?
3. Looking to buy a new TDI, and trade in your gas car?
4. Looking to buy a used TDI?

Last edited:

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
3 would be closest, but I don't own any gasoline vehicles at this point, and have no desire to change that. I might consider another TDI for work due to the great mileage (my second diesel is my pickup . . . 20 MPG isn't bad for 8500lbs, but . . . . )

"Looking to add a new TDI" should also be a choice . . .

- Tim

Last edited:

TDI2000Zim

Veteran Member
TDI
VW hat meinen '14 Passat TDiSE getötet.
I would trade my 2014 TDI Passat for a newer VW TDI, but that wasn't in the poll.

WHY you may ask?

Because by the time VW is allowed to sell new TDIs, our 2009-2015 TDIs will be mechanically emasculated (as in, taking a bull and turning it into an ox).

Any solution will include reducing available horsepower and decreased mpg.

At that point, sure that the old Passat will be useful, but only to give away to our kids who are moving to college.

ChemMan

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen TDI
You should have another option saying "waiting to see how VW handles the issue". That is my plan. I might keep it, trade it for another VW, or never buy a VW again. It all depends on how well they fix this. Everyone falls down, what matters is how you get back up.

PaulDDB

TDI
2014 JSW Tdi DSG
ChemMan is right - no-one knows what will be needed to achieve compliance, especially in California. Maybe a urea tank in the footwell? It is even possible that VW will conclude that there is no feasible means of making this engine compliant.

We have to wait and see.

In CA, the Dept of motor Vehicles will refuse to register any vehicle not fixed 6 months after VW sends recall notices.
Meantime it's a fun car to drive.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
I did not respond to this poll. IMHO, it is entirely premature to choose any of the poll selections presented. First, I intend to see what VW proposes to do about this, then I will make a decision. I know.....too simple, right?

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
I've been thinking about trading mine in on something with more space (was leaning towards an Accord sedan). That and I've got a manual transmission...I'd like an automatic for my commute (50+ miles in stop and go traffic). We'll see though...I'm not in a rush to do anything at this point.

Dieselchen

Banned
TDI
2011 Golf 6M
I like to keep it and NOT do ANY RECALL (grandfather the car in, pay the FINE to the EPA), I rather rip out the ENTIRE CHEAT SYSTEM! Its worthless anyway.
OR VW gives me ALL money back as what I paid when it was new and in return I buy a NEW GTI for that AKA swap Title for Title and put me in a 2016 GTI at no cost to me. Hence I have to pay more later at the pump and insurance (VW be glad if I don't make you pay for that)

goodysgotacuda

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Goft TDI/6spd & Jetta TDI/DSG
I plan on doing exactly what I was a week ago. Ideally they have an ECU recall, Texas doesn't care and I keep on living my life. Hopefully the resale value of these don't plummet, but even if they do...then I guess I'll just drive it 'till it dies

However, if I am forced to refresh and lose my tune...I'll be very apt to pull the DPF the next week and go stage 3 in pure spite.

croppz

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 DSG Jetta TDI
I like to keep it and NOT do ANY RECALL (grandfather the car in, pay the FINE to the EPA), I rather rip out the ENTIRE CHEAT SYSTEM! Its worthless anyway.
OR VW gives me ALL money back as what I paid when it was new and in return I buy a NEW GTI for that AKA swap Title for Title and put me in a 2016 GTI at no cost to me. Hence I have to pay more later at the pump and insurance (VW be glad if I don't make you pay for that)

This makes me laugh. You wont be able to "make" VW do anything for you. Your statement is almost as ridiculous as the guy who said he was going to lease a prius and send VW the bill for it.

What is wrong with you people? Lol

peterinvan

TDI
2011 Sportswagen TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI - DSG
. ......
+1 For the GTI swap! Compensation for being jerked around!

The recall has been announced this morning, but no details of the fix yet.

I believe that a software only fix will reduce power, resulting in a safety situation during highway overtaking. :mad:

At a minimum I would expect the throttle kickdown to give me the power I am used to.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
We have been tossing around the idea of trading in my car before this even happened, and what VW was offering didn't meet out requirements (if VW did have an Outback killer that didn't have nose rings and 10K of bloat, we'd probably be all over it).

Right now I'm only in it to see how it affects resale/trade in.

newWorldTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW 6SPD
You should have another option saying "waiting to see how VW handles the issue". That is my plan. I might keep it, trade it for another VW, or never buy a VW again. It all depends on how well they fix this. Everyone falls down, what matters is how you get back up.
This ^^^. Intrigued by another poster's trade in to a 2016 Golf SW TSI. Interesting plan to go to a gasser.

If I have to abandon diesel (jury is still WAY out on that) then I don't know what I'll do - field is wide open.

Right now, the 2010 JSW is paid for, and doing me right. May never see a dealership again if I can get away with it.

Wife's car is a Mercedes GL Diesel, we love that thing, it is a tank. Urea injection.

andydg

Veteran Member
TDI
Used to have SW & Passat
I really enjoy driving my wagon. Too many unknowns right now to formulate an answer whether to keep it or go a different route.

Rodmiser

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta s\DSG 2015 & 1&2 FIX
Hope

I would like to keep my EA288 CVCA Engine Love 43 MPG AVG

Last edited:

czeetah

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat 6MT / Opera Red
Given we all (most) have diesels, it seems one obvious choice isn't part of the poll.

Trade in your TDI, get a new VW diesel

Vlady

TDI
2014 Golf TDI
Very disappointed with this my TDI from the get go. I am not saying that every one has my experience with this car but my car seemed to always fall short of the EPA estimates. I bought this car with fuel economy AND more importantly environmentally friendly. Treehugger? sure! Call it what you want. But this scandal has really ruined my impression with VW and will not recommend the the company to anyone. Planning on getting rid of the car asap.. if I will get anything :/. Thanks for all the support from all the members on here. You all were awesome.

austintg

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi A6 Technik
This makes me laugh. You wont be able to "make" VW do anything for you. Your statement is almost as ridiculous as the guy who said he was going to lease a prius and send VW the bill for it.

What is wrong with you people? Lol

Nothing is wrong with him! I agree 100%, but also realize it is unrealistic. Honestly if they want me to be as loyal as I have been, they will have to pay me back full price for my car and let me buy a GLI like this never happened. Other than that, I will never buy another VW, nor any other automaker who admits to a cheat system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wklink

TDI
2014 TDI Sportswagen
It all depends on what the updates and fixes are.

I'm willing to put up with some minor loss of power/gas mileage but if the car is going to perform like a gas model with no advantages then I probably will eventually look to get rid of the car. I love the car now but if it accelerates like a Yugo the love will go away quickly.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Nothing is wrong with him! I agree 100%, but also realize it is unrealistic. Honestly if they want me to be as loyal as I have been, they will have to pay me back full price for my car and let me buy a GLI like this never happened. Other than that, I will never buy another VW, nor any other automaker who admits to a cheat system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FULL price for a 5 - 6 year old car? What next, demand they repay you for all the fuel you bought, the maintenance you paid for? :rolleyes:

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Quite honestly, I think a lot of car makers have been gaming the emissions tests. When it's a standardized test and everyone knows exactly how it works and what's demanded for the outcome, guess what happens. I wouldn't call it cheating per say I'd call it playing the game per the rules laid out by the EPA.

To answer the first post... For now, it's a keeper. The outcome of the recall will determine whether or not I keep it. If I had to vote I'd say "keep my tdi". If the recall fix kills performance and mpg I'd trade it in for a gti.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
For me, 4 of those would be non-starters immediately: the Fords, Chevy and Dodge. Unfortunately, though, not of the remaining are wagons so they are all out too. Fortunately I have a PD not a CR TDI so I'm good.
Of the ones listed I must day the mazda 3 hatchback was pretty nice. Main issue I have with them and the reason I didn't get one was the lack of headroom & legroom.

That was the main selling point of my 2011 golf. Legroom is actually too much if I put the seat all the way back (very rare for me to find a car that can do this). Headroom feels like I'm in a minivan. Handling is tough to beat. Mpg is also tough to beat!

Overall I just can't find another car like it.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
One reason we got our Prius in '04 was because TDI's weren't allowed to be sold in the CPR. Both were on my short list with the only TDI drawback being the dealer was up in Chico while we have a Toyota dealer in town. I wanted a Jetta TDI wagon since it was to replace our '89 Jetta Carat. So she had the Prius while I still had my '90 Miata.

In 2011, I needed some thing to transport my then 91 year old mother around when I would go down to see her in Sacramento. I decided to see if I could get a used TDI and was lucky enough to get "Cranberry". I've ended up driving it way more than my Miata, but I can't bear to give up the Miata after owning it for over 25 years.

Eventually we'll have to replace the Prius, but we are considering moving to another town that only has a Toyota dealer (other than Ford & GM) so the replacement will most likely be a Toyota.