**EMISSION SERVICE ACTION 23O6-EMC Software***

digdug

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 jetta tdi
I had the software update/recall done on July 3rd. Since then my MPG has dropped somewhat. I used to average ~41mpg. Lately its been betweeen 36.5 and 38mpg. My commute is 81miles per day (round trip) and mostly highway.

I'm thinking of getting a tune like Malone, APR just to get the MPGs back :(

vtbigdog

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI DSG
My mileage has not changed after the reflash. I do notice I get better overall mileage from a cold start when i briskly accelerate when the engine is cold.

j1mbo

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Reflex Silver JSW TDI - 17" Anthracite Goals and 2014 Reflex Silver Golf TDI
Had my Golf Done today, and on the short drive home did not notice any difference. Took the Golf in as its not due for its first service until January. I will get the JSW done in September with the 30k.

WilliamDonald

TDI
2012 VW Golf tdi
Emission service update was performed on my 2012 Glolf tdi.

Update service was performed from the dealership in Frederick Md. However, I noticed a couple of things and not sure if it does any good. After driving the vehicle for 2 hours 145 miles, and turning the Glof tdi off. The cooling fan used to stay on for a few minutes, I was told that this was caused by eliminating soot or burning off,build up from exhaust.
After the updates I do notice the 2012 Golf tdi, 155,000 plus miles, fan does not come on as often. It seems that since the cooling fan does not turn on, the engine is warmer Hot after sitting for an hour.

I received this recall along with the trailing arm rear axle campaign.
Has anyone else received such letter? Does anyone knows exactly what the software addresses?
Thanks!
****(I can't upload a picture from work now...I will when I get home)

Last edited:

BajaRon

TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen
DPF Update & Malone Tune Do Not Mix

Took my 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI in for an oil change. Dealer didn't say a word about any update and I stupidly did not say anything about my Stage 1.5 Malone Tune.

Service tech said they did a DPF update and they could not get the 'Check Engine' light to go off. And they noticed that I had modified the exhaust. They were afraid to do anything else because they did not know how it would affect the tune. They advised to contact Malone Tune to see what they recommended. It seems that there is no way to return the system to its original state.

I drove about 100 miles and then I started to puke blue smoke. I am sure the 'Update' re-initiated the Regeneration Cycle and with the mods I am sucking oil from the crank case.

Fortunately, I was only 3 miles from home when that started. So now I'm parked waiting for word from Malone Tune. I am hoping it won't require another $500.00 + redo of the ECM. And I am not sure if this also affected the DFG tune.

PalmtreeDon

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI DSG
23O6 Performed on my 2012 Jetta DSG

I had my 23O6 update on Monday 8/3 but haven't had a chance to do some mileage. I am doing a round trip from Florida to Maine this week which will give me some numbers. I will post my results when I get back at the end of august.:confused: Did a R/T to NJ last month and got around 42 mpg calculated.

vtbigdog

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI DSG
My mileage has not changed after the reflash. I do notice I get better overall mileage from a cold start when i briskly accelerate when the engine is cold.
I just completed a trip from Vermont to Indiana...all highway speed driving except for a few traffic jam delays. Drove at exactly the speed limit with cruise control engaged. Westerly leg was 765 miles. Drove 715 miles and filled up with 50 miles left on the DTE indicator...I didn't want to chance trying to find a fuel stop near the small town I was visiting. Mileage using a calculator was 50.18. Fuel costs was $33.22

The next tank saw me reaching my destination and then returning to Vermont. That trip was 815 miles. Headed east I had the prevailing winds behind me. Mileage using a calculator was 52.91..with 20 miles left on the DTE indicator.

This is the best mileage I have ever had. My car has 65K on the odometer.

I'm headed to Georgia in October and will double-check my mileage this year against the identical route I have taken for the previous 4 years.

FVWVWF

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold - 2012 TDI Highline Manual
Update 2.5 months later.....
No significant changes in fuel mileage, not enough to punch anyone in the throat.
No dash lights, no sensor warnings...nothing......yet.
Acceleration is much better in 1st & 2nd gear.
The only complaint I have, regen comes on much more frequently.

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
vtbigdog;4863451[B said:
..........Mileage using a calculator was 50.18. Fuel costs was $33.22...........

The next tank saw me reaching my destination and then returning to Vermont. That trip was 815 miles. Headed east I had the prevailing winds behind me. Mileage using a calculator was 52.91..with 20 miles left on the DTE indicator.

This is the best mileage I have ever had. My car has 65K on the odometer.
I'm headed to Georgia in October and will double-check my mileage this year against the identical route I have taken for the previous 4 years
[/B].

Well Done.............look forward to October for further MPG after reflash info

giuseppe_b

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SportWagen SE 6MT
I thought I’d share my recent experiences with everyone since I’ve kept a log over the last month or so ( since February I’ve been using Torque Pro to monitor regens but this last month I’ve actually recorded the numbers). Some of these “regens” are possibly just partial or NOx or something, please explain if you have any thoughts.

Here is my log:
80141 on 7/25: Regen lasted 18 miles, 21 min. Max temp 1442 F.
80392 on 7/30: 6 miles, 8 min. 1279 F
80600 on 8/5: 19 miles, 21 min. 1433 F
80849 on 8/10: 2 miles, 5 min, 1354 F (obviously not a full cycle but it was not interrupted).

The ECU update occurred at 80960 miles, 8/12. Dealer service manager says this update recalibrates many of the sensors, but VW does not disclose all details of software updates.

81088 on 8/17: 5 miles, 9 min, I did not record the max temp.
81313 on 8/20: 6 miles, 10 min, no temp recorded
81527 on 8/26: 10 miles, 16 min, 1424 F, avg temp range 1050-1250

Looking back to the regens prior to my ECU update, this pattern was not very different. From memory that’s how it’s been since I started monitoring these temps at around 73000 miles. Since I’ve owned the car and learned about these cycles I never park it while they are occurring, but my wife may have on the rare occasion she drives it.
My drive is a hybrid road/highway but I leave early enough that the traffic is mild and the lights are green. In the afternoon there may be more stop/go between the highway and my home but I try to avoid coming to a total stop. On weekends there are the occasional short trips but usually the car stays in the garage and doesn’t get used at all.

The car feels better during acceleration, and I've noticed better pull in 6th on the highway even at 65 mph. My observation of the EGTs during normal non-regen situations is that the temps are a bit higher on average, getting up to the 800s or 900s more frequently.
As for fuel economy, this last fill up was a bit lower, only 40.17 mpg but I feel like one tank is not enough to totally tell, as looking though my fuel history there were a few tanks in that range when many short trips occurred. I don't always aim for the best MPG though.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Interesting that you're seeing regens roughly every 200 miles. Before and after the software update. That's about 3x the amount I would have anticipated based on previous discussions and owners manual. I would have expected them every 5-600 miles, or once per tank.

I wonder if the smaller time frame is not a true or full regen but some other type of "burn off".

giuseppe_b

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SportWagen SE 6MT
I wonder that too. I see the occasional temp spike to about 1000-1100 for like 30seconds sometimes, which maybe the NOx? And the 5min spikes are what exactly? When I borrowed a VCDS cable 8 months ago and remember that those that actually brought the soot load down from 17 down to 2 g lasted quite a while, but I did not time it.

PalmtreeDon

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI DSG
23O6 Performed on my 2012 Jetta DSG

I had my 23O6 update on Monday 8/3 but haven't had a chance to do some mileage. I am doing a round trip from Florida to Maine this week which will give me some numbers. I will post my results when I get back at the end of august.:confused: Did a R/T to NJ last month and got around 42 mpg calculated.
Here are my trip (Aug 12th to Aug 27th) results: 3,795 miles mostly highway at speeds between 55 and 72 MPH (R/T Florida to Maine + side trips, took inland more hilly route up and back). 9 fill ups. Overall average = 43.6 Mpg, Max = 48.0 Mpg (364 Mi), Min = 37.3 Mpg (193 Mi). For me, Mpg was a little better than I previously recorded. Computer average was 48.1 Mpg.

Performance notes: The bucking, which I used to encounter at low speed (15 to 25 Mph), is gone and shifting appears to have changed to a higher RPM for at least gears 1 thru 5. Have not noticed any increase in the frequency of regen cycles. If anything, they may have decreased.

mhouck

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta, 2010 Jetta
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/19/b...-500000-vehicles-over-emissions-software.html

The Obama administration on Friday ordered Volkswagen to recall nearly a half million cars from the road, saying the German automaker used software intentionally designed to circumvent environmental standards for reducing smog.
Forgive me for not reading the entire thread, but I wonder if the software update was to get ahead of things knowing they were about to get popped. I'm considering trading my TDI for a GTI as a result of this, but I've noticed no change in performance or feel since the software update.

minis2003

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 beetle w/DSG, 2015 Jetta TDI w/DSG
was there letter sent out or was the update done when service was done to the car?
does this ecu update apply to EA288?

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I had the update done to the 11 golf on Friday. Since it's my wife's car, I may never know if it changed anything or not.

The software recall was out for quite a while, so don't think it's related to the current pile of crap VW just buried themselves with.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
Two points to offer.

1. The 2306 software update was a direct result of on-road testing which revealed emissions in excess of the qualification test results. Se the thread in the emissions area for more details. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=448053

2. It is great that a few members have done some recordkeeping before and after. I am a big fan of using VCDS logging to see what exactly happens.

jwbtdi

TDI
2012 Golf
Yes, this Bloomberg report also confirms that the emissions service discussed here was part of VW's scam unraveling.

"The California watchdog and the U.S. Environment Protection Agency opened an investigation into Volkswagen in May 2014, according to letters published Friday. Talks between the parties went on for several months, with VW trying to replicate the West Virginia University results. The company said it had identified the reasons for the higher emissions and proposed a fix. That resulted in a recall of nearly 500,000 U.S. vehicles in December to implement a software patch.

The California agency continued to test VW cars after the recall began. It was concerned that real-world road tests couldn’t confirm that the software patch was working. Sure enough, nitrogen oxide emissions were still in violation of California and U.S. laws. The agency shared those findings with Volkswagen and the EPA on July 8."

j-bone

TDI
No more TDlIes
Wounder if it sees the scangauge or vcds as " emissions testing "

PressEnter[]

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta 6M
I'd have thought that would make the fuel economy worse of that were the case, and I've gotten great fuel economy with it. On the other hand, I already had the DPF replaced. Maybe I was running "too clean."

j-bone

TDI
No more TDlIes
I think it needs to see the rear wheels NOT spinning.
Ahhhh thoes sneaky Germans .
This fix is going to suck for thoes who have modified tdi's , it's going to be a mandatory reflash most likely.