Emergency Trunk Release

Jimmy

Veteran Member
I e-mailed Fred pictures and a blurb on how to add an emergency release to the trunk on the A4 Jetta. I used a piece of nylon cord, attached it to the lock mechanism and threaded it around to the right side of the lid, then through a hole on the right side of the right hand closing grip. To release the latch, pull the cord to the left. The nylon retainers for the fuzzy headed screws are used as pulleys for the nylon cord. Hopefully Fred can upload the pictures.

jaydhall

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE, 1999 NB, 1999.5 Jetta GLS, 2004 Jetta
Great minds think alike! After just putting clamps on the plastic nuts, and not ever having a problem with the deck lid not opening, I was thinking how easy your mod would be. I look forward to the pictures! Seems like the labor would be worth the peace of mind.

Turbo Steve

Top Post Dawg
Thanks Jimmy! This might be the one and only mod that Ol' Silver doesn't have.
I look forward to the pics.

jaydhall

Veteran Member
TDI
Turbo Steve,

Have you put clamps on the plastic nuts? Seems like a prudent thing to do. Just wanted to know what method you used. The nuts are quite an odd shape and I did not think a normal hose clamp was the way to go. I used a tie wrap tool and a tie wrap. (Two, one for each nut.) I THINK this will put enough pressure on the nut to keep it tight. I shall see.

Turbo Steve

Top Post Dawg
Jay:

I'm still waiting for the pic's and haven't done this mod yet, but I did cut out a 1" X 8" section on each side of the upper grill, to allow more air into the OEM Air Horn on the right side and more air to flow directly over the injection pump on the left side. Does that count?

jaydhall

Veteran Member
TDI
Sounds like a good idea. Keep the injection pump cooler in the summer. Do you think it would be too cold in the winter? (At least in Denver?)

Turbo Steve

Top Post Dawg
Jay:

I'm not worried about the temps in Maryland, but if I lived in the mid-west, I could always fill the slotted hole with something, replace the weatherstripping, or install the top engine cover.

There's a lot of flexibility that can be achieved with regulating underhood temperatures with any combination of things mentioned above.

Peter Cheuk

Gasser :P
TDI
'06 Jetta GLI
I guess Fred's busy so Jimmy sent the pictures and instructions to me. Here it is in all its glory:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>=======================
Trunk Release for A4 Jetta
=======================
Having read of the fate of a few owners having to take apart the trunk lid with it stuck in a closed positon I thought it would be a good idea to add a simple release pull-cord for the latch. It is actually quite easy:

Tools and parts required: Drill, 3mm drill bit (Peter - 1/8" for you metric deprived), and about 60cm (Peter - 24" for you metric deprived) of small nylon cord (I used some excess from a mini-blind).

Raise the trunk/boot lid and remove the thirteen fuzz-covered retaining screws, and set aside. Attach cord to lock mechanism as shown here. This is the same lever that is pulled by the release motor. Pull the cord to the right to ensure it actuates the mechanism.

Now you need a hole to the inside of the trunk. By threading the cord as shown in the picture it is possible to route the cord around the nylon retainers for the trim panel and have it accessable in the right hand grip handle used to help close the trunk. Drill a hole roughly in the center of the right side grip handle of the trim panel and thread through the cord as shown here.

Obviously you cannot turn the car upside down to have the cord stay in place while you refit the panel. Use some masking tape next to each nylon retainer to hold it as shown here. Carefully mate the trim panel back in place, gently pulling the slack through the hole and install the three screws the cord passes around first. These nylon retainers will act as pulleys for the cord.

You can now replace the other ten screws and attach a suitable handle to the end of the cord. I made a simple loop and tucked it into the trunk handel. Unless you are still carrying Jimmy Hoffa around I suppose a luminous knob would be the right thing to attach in case someone else gets trapped. Enjoy.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

TDI Believer

Responsible For Global Warming
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
Well, I'll be doing this mod as soon as I get my trunk lid open. Mine stuck last Friday when Dollie and I arrived at the Hilton. The car goes to VW tomorrow to get that fixed. I crawled in the trunk through the back seat last night with a flashlight and the only way to get it open is to take it apart from the inside. I'll let Miller VW have that honor.

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
2010 Blue Graphite Pearl Golf Variant
Just notice Jimmy hasn't updated the picture locations I sent him, so I'll post them below:

Cord Path

Closeup

Back Trim

Front Trim

Jimmy

Veteran Member
Sorry I did not get back to this in time. Have been busy at home working on a new internet router for the house network. Thanks Fred.