Emergency flashers during ABS activation(VCDS)

Herkguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 passat SE sun/nav
So I had activated in VCDS the brake light flash during emergency braking. I wasn't sure what it did, but I found out today.

During another lovely snowstorm for the Minneapolis commute, I had a car pull out I front of me from a side road while going about 50 mph. I applied the brakes and the ABS did engage for a few seconds and then the emergency flashers activated. First time I had seen it, but it appears that's what the function does.

I don't know if all four went on or just the rears, I just know the dash lights started flashing. I think the ABS has two be on for a few seconds for it to work, I have occasionally had the ABS activate for a second in the neighborhood and not had the flashers.

Anyways thought that was a nice feature to have go off when you end up in the ABS during braking.:)

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
It's in the BCM and it's a nice feature, but it's not DOT compliant that's why it's not on from the factory.

Mercedes got some kind of special dispensation to test it on a small run of cars a while back.. Maybe 500 or so. I never heard anything after that about it.

I had it turned on in my MKV and I saw it come on maybe once or twice the whole time I owned it. It had to meet a pretty certain set of circumstances that obviously you (hopefully) don't see in everyday driving.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
Cool feature I appreciated in Germany on the Autobahn several times.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
IMHO it's better to just have brake light flashing on our cars since the rear brake lights are the flashers :)

-J

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I'd like to see what the brake light flashing actually looks like. Is it more rapid than the 4-way flashers?

TDI2000Zim

Veteran Member
TDI
VW hat meinen '14 Passat TDiSE getötet.
By the way, when did German cars give up their amber flashers?

I remember my 2000 Beetle TDi had them, but not on my Passat, or new Beetles after 2008.

Herkguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 passat SE sun/nav
My daughter has my laptop, IIRC though- central electronics, long coding, somewhere around byte 16. This is from the my turbo diesel site.

It will look like this or very similar. I believe I had selected via turn lights
Eric

mattfrayage

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat NMS TDI SEL Premium
My daughter has my laptop, IIRC though- central electronics, long coding, somewhere around byte 16. This is from the my turbo diesel site.

It will look like this or very similar. I believe I had selected via turn lights
Eric
i once had both brakes AND flashers activated, and it was accepted but later turned off the brake feature because i was unsure if one would override, or cancel the other out... has anyone ever tried triggering it to see what happens?

vw_norm

Gone, but not forgotten.
TDI
2012 NMS TDI SEL Platinum Gray w/moonrock
I got both activated since I have rear amber turns and LED brake lights as separate functions. I bet it would be an impressive light show should I ever reach the trigger threshhold. But not to date. I'm assuming both will blinky blink like the vid shows. I tried to trigger it once or twice, but was unsuccessful. Didn't think it was necessary to inflict such hard braking unnecessarily.

vw_norm

Gone, but not forgotten.
TDI
2012 NMS TDI SEL Platinum Gray w/moonrock
I'll ship you some snow and ice.....:D
We seem to have plenty to spare.....
Appreciate the offer, but we have some too, albeit above 12,000 feet on Mauna Kea after some recent storms. Been chilly, down into the 50's! Some frost at 5000 feet too.