Elusive Chilton/Haynes manual...

mastercabs

TDI
Jetta
So, I've got a check engine light issue with my 2015 Jetta TDI. I checked it with one of the scanners at AutoZone, and it's saying that I need to replace the Power Control Module. I really don't want to pay someone else to do this, but I can't seem to find any Chilton or Haynes manual for this year/model. Google said I could order one from Target and expect it by April... It's not even the Ides of January. What gives???
Also, if any of you know where a PCM is located on a 2015 Jetta TDI, that would be a big help because the videos I've seen... So many of them don't specify what year they're working on, so you don't know until they pop the hood, and you're like, oh, yeah, that's not it...
Any help?

Last edited:

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
Symptoms, other than the CEL?

I would always suspect wiring/bad grounds before something robust like the BCM/ECU. I guess your PCM is for your auto trans.

mastercabs

TDI
Jetta
No other symptoms. Car seems to run fine. Shifts a bit funny on the downhill, as it is auto. I could check the contacts, but I don't even know where the blasted thing is in this car. All of the videos I seem to be able to find are for different models.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
Someone else needs to chime in here, I only have manual trans, never a VW with auto. Perhaps the PCM is on top of the trans, or very close?

Did you clear the code, and it came back? Sometime there is funky codes (even CEL) generated.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Take it to a guru. I can adjust guarantee that it doesn't need a pcm.

mastercabs

TDI
Jetta
...by guru, you just mean someone in the area who is good with Jettas?
I was thinking of doing the "turn it off/turn it on again" fix, of just pulling the negative connection - think that might work?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
First, you got a scan with a generic scanner, and the text may or may not be accurate for your TDI. I'm not sure what a Power Control Module would be, but I'm guessing it's not correct. What was the code in the scanner? Probably started with the letter P.

If your zip code in your signature is correct you're in Greensboro, is that right? You can look at the TDI trusted mechanics by state list here for a guru (expert in working on TDIs) but the only shop name I recognize there is Apex Tuning in Raleigh. What you need to find is someone who has VCDS (formerly called VAG-COM) which is a VW specific diagnostic tool. That will give you more accurate data.

You mention the "on again, off again" fix, which isn't the worst idea. You could find a repair shop that will reset the code, and then you could see if it comes back. Might, might not.

mastercabs

TDI
Jetta
I've been on a bunch of different forums over the years for my old Camaro, my little ZR-7, and whatnot, but you guys are the best! I'll let you know what happens. Thanks so much!!!

mastercabs

TDI
Jetta
Tried the hard reset; didn't do anything. I'll try to find a more accurate scan. I imagine a dealership would have one, but I'd also bet that they're going to give me the run around.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm not a fan of dealers VW or otherwise. Buy/rent/borrow a VCDS/VCP/OBDEleven, these are pro grade scanners for VAG group cars.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
VCDS from Ross Tech. Almost everyone else will tell you the same thing. We even have a list somewhere here of people who with a cable that will help you out if you can't afford to buy one.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
+1 on the VCDS, if you cant stomach the $ of a ross tech cable, OBDeleven is good.
unless this car was a water damage salvage title that was swapped from state to state to clear the salvage, i highly doubt that part is bad.
chances are that your scan was misleading. I would not go with anything until you have a more accurate scan done that you can diagnose this issue. like stated above, you can find someone willing to give you a scan local to you with a proper scanner for VAG.
my bet is on some bad wiring issue. its not uncommon to find issues with simply a wire worked loose or something.

in any case, you probably want to go digital on the manual, i forget where it is, but this stuff is all online subscription stuff now. Sorry i can't help much

mastercabs

TDI
Jetta
I got my OBII device and am getting some codes:

ECM
P06C500 - glow plug
U140A00 - terminal 30 open circuit
P033100 - camshaft pos. Sensor circ., Range/performance
P208B00 - reductant pump A control range performance

Transmission control
U023500 - lost communication with cruise control front distance range sensor

Brakes
01325 - tire pressure monitoring control module

Doing what little searching I know to do, this looks to me like a couple of separate problems, but I'm wondering if there is simply an overarching wiring issue or something of the sort.
Changing a glow plug seems like the kind of thing that I could do pretty easily. I don't know so much about the other things. Any thoughts?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Your post shows how a generic scanner makes life challenging. It didn't tell you which glow plug is throwing a code. Since glow plugs for your car aren't cheap, I suspect you'd only want to replace the faulty one. Your car doesn't have TPMS sensors so the Brakes fault doesn't make sense. Tire pressure monitoring on your car is through the ABS module monitoring wheel rotations.

And I'm betting the other faults are intermitttent. Maybe it's only the glow plug that's causing the CEL.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Record those codes, then clear them. Address what comes back on. Start with simple, check wires to those devices, pull and replug connects. Reset codes, see what comes back. Then troubleshhoot. I've always had a manual for my car in the 50 years I've been driving. But many, like my son, get by with no manual, interweb is a great resource, though you must be carefull, lots of bad data out there.

mastercabs

TDI
Jetta
It just seems really strange to me how hard it is to just BUY a manual for my car... I appreciate everyone's help on here - absolutely. It's just a bit frustrating.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Newer cars are just too complex to cover in a paper manual. And not many people have the ability to service them properly anyway. Which is why the link in post #16 is the only place you'll be able to get all the information for your car.

And as stated, a scan tool that actually speaks Volkswagen (such as VCDS) is a must, otherwise you're just wasting time and you'll be guessing and chasing ghosts.

2015s are unique (for us) because that is both the first of the generation of TDI engine and the last TDIs we got. The basic box NCS Jetta isn't much different than when it debuted in 2011, but the engine is.

Your car may also be under warranty for this sort of thing, just an FYI.