Elsbett Single tank system

Exmerctech

TDI
Golf
Im certainly not saying this system doesn’t work, i’m just trying to understand how it works.

so the svo is heated up in the filter and heat exchanger but does all the svo in the pump congeal/gum up/solidify when left over night?

Are they saying the glow plugs are so good that it’s not an issue?

also is fitting a diesel powered pre coolant heater (like the webasto heater found on land rovers) to heat up the engine and fuel heat exchanger a better idea.

has anyone ever fitter a Emersion heater in the tank or one of the silicon heating matts around the tank.

I’ve have a twin tank system but can see the be if it’s of a single tank just not sure if it really works?

philngrayce

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta, '06 Jetta, Both Gone '13 Leaf, Gone Liberty CRD, Subaru Forrester and MB300SD
Disclaimer: I’ve never seen an Elsbett system in person. I have spoken with a few folks who have them, but that is pretty much the only way I know about them. Someone had one in central Connecticut a few years back.

I believe they use a modified injector that is friendlier to the thicker oil. The filter is also heated, glow plugs are different and they may modify the electronics too. They are particular about what kind of oil you use. The oil does thicken up when it cools off. The guy in Connecticut said it did not run very well, if at all, when it was cold. I think he did get it started in cool weather, but it smoked and stumbled until it warmed up.

If one lived in Florida or southern Italy, Africa or Central America, it might make sense. Anywhere else, two tank systems seem a lot better to me.