Elsbett ECM chip

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
As far as I am aware, at least for the A3/MkIII TDI, the Elsbett kits came with an add-on system to increase the glow plug duration for post start operation, as well as a earlier / warmer ambient temperature onset for pre-start glow plug operation.
Additionally all the Elsbett systems of which I have knowledge are single tank systems.
The link indicates this re-program is for two tank systems, thus not for Elsbett systems.

A simple VCDS adjustment can be used to raise the ambient temp at which the pre-start glow operation becomes active, although there will be no change in the post-start operation.
Some aftermarket performance chip tuners have specific tunes for grease/bio operation, but I think that they (fuel specific tunes) are not needed.

My suggestion: Get a glow plug adaptation to start the glow plugs at a warmer ambient temp, and try that nearly free (might cost you a beer for your buddy and his VCDS) adjustment to see if that alone is enough.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
What are you trying to accomplish with this?

Are running bio or WVO?

Do you currently have an Elsbett fuel system?

NauticalGent

TDI
2002 Jetta/2013 Jetta
Thanks for the reply, good advice! To answer VDub's question, I have a WVO2 tank system I got from Plant Drive. I have put over 30k miles on it and have had no problems that I am aware of, other than my own stupidity and ignorance of how it works. The chip is for a TTS and I thought it might me a good add on which is why I asked.

I think, if anything, I may try Lug Nuts suggestion. But the temperature here in southern Italy is pretty mild so I just may leave well enough alone. The is an awesome forum, thanks for making it such!

philngrayce

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta, '06 Jetta, Both Gone '13 Leaf, Gone Liberty CRD, Subaru Forrester and MB300SD
If you have a 2 tank system, you are starting on diesel and should have no need to change the glow plug programing. Why do you want this?

NauticalGent

TDI
2002 Jetta/2013 Jetta
As you can tell, I am no mechanic and my knowledge of the Diesel engine is not that extensive. I DO know that Elsbett is the respected industry leader when it comes to SVO/WVO systems. If they put out a chip for a TTS, then my first inclination is to think there must be something to this.

That being said, I am also aware that not everything out there is necessary and suckers like me are willing to shell out bucks for items whose benefits can be measured with a micrometer, if they even exist (the benefits, no the micrometer).

Again, thanks for the feedback...

philngrayce

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta, '06 Jetta, Both Gone '13 Leaf, Gone Liberty CRD, Subaru Forrester and MB300SD
Elsbett is very well respected. They are best known for their "one tank" systems, where you burn vegetable oil all the time, no stopping and starting on diesel. I suspect this modification is for those systems, and not needed in your two tank system. You could check with them to be sure, but I think that's what you'll find.

BioDiesel'

TDI
1998 Jetta Elsbett single-tank, 230K WVO miles
Clarification

Hi,
BioDiesel here, current Ellsbett single tank owner and former Ellsbett dealer.

1. GreaseEnergy is kinda related to Ellsbett, Its Alexander Noack former employee.

The ECM mod is for a dual tank system. Add doesn't make clear but it seems to be generic. Ellsbett also made two tank conversions. You'd certainly have to have either a single or dual tank conversion before you got this ECM mod.
There are ECM mods listed for single, dual, biodiesel and DPF deletes.
So you'd pair the ECM mod with whatever conversion you have.

As for the ECM mod itself, hard to evaluate. They don't state whats modified. I'd expect the benefits to be marginal.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
I was hoping you'd see the thread and post.
But "Newbie" status?!?! Did you lose your password and have to re-register?

NauticalGent

TDI
2002 Jetta/2013 Jetta
Thanks Biodiesel,

How long have you had your single tank conversion, anything you would do differently?

I have been playing with the idea of converting my 2013 but the Spousal Unit is constantly reminding me about how I haven't broke even on the '02 TTS yet. Also, I have read a lot about the DPF issues and there isn't too much positive info out there on the newer TDI's.

Appreciate you weighing in on this.

BioDiesel'

TDI
1998 Jetta Elsbett single-tank, 230K WVO miles
Hi Lug_Nut, long time. ... :) I got banned years ago... too much off topic.

Gent,

The single tank kit has been good, 11 years , 208,000 miles. Only problem has been the wiring I did.The fuel filter heater draws 20 amps and once the connections got dirty the relay overheated and melted. So I'd do a better job sealing the wiring connections. The plastic coolant "T's" I used cracked after about 8-9 years. So next time all metal fittings.

On the WVO side I only filtered to 1 micron once and went through filters 3- 6,000 miles. I now double filter with 1 micron and usually go 8-10,000 now.
Stanadyne bio-cide has kept algae growth in check.
I have a simple filter system, just big 3' commercial filter socks over buckets. Very messy. I'd create a 3' x 3' spill catch tray on the floor next time.

Things I did right would be 1. Ellsbett, 2. Never run 100% VO, always at least 5% gasoline or 10% diesel even in summer. I have had no fuel polymerization problems. The single tank isn't heated.

If you want the complete blow-by-blow ...:
http://ctbiodzl.freeshell.org/votdi.html

As for DPF, I don't know anyone who has converted one to 100% SVO.
A few are running them at 40% SVO in Germany.

GreaseEnergy has an ECM for DPF delete or defeated diesels.

Last edited: