Eligible Owner But No Eligible Seller

sierra3

TDI
'12 Passat TDI SE / '13 Passat TDI SE
OK one last time.
Buyback is NADA clean-trade in value plus/minus mileage addition/subtraction...in other words value.
Restitution is 20% of that 'value' + $2983 with a minimum of $5100.

If you have an eligible seller that can claim on your car...and does so with 45 days of the judge signing off, he/she gets 50% of the 'restitution' amount, and you the other 50%.
You own the car..so you get 100% of the buyback 'value' (NADA)...and at least 50% of the restitution.

Michael A

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 VW Touareg TDI Executive
The really odd thing about my 2015 A3 TDI that was purchased on June 30th is TWO things ....
I just filled up for the first time, I have an AD Blue fillup, I had no idea I had this AND the trip display showed 372.4 miles for the tank, I pumped 11.589 gallons so that works out to 32.1 mpg. The tank was full when it was reset last and the display also reset when the odo was reset said exactly 39.4 mpg.

If I was truly getting close to 40 mpg I would think the tank range would easily be 500 miles. When I reset the trip #2 display it say my range is 525 miles.

Something is definitely not right, any thoughts?

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
The really odd thing about my 2015 A3 TDI that was purchased on June 30th is TWO things ....
I just filled up for the first time, I have an AD Blue fillup, I had no idea I had this AND the trip display showed 372.4 miles for the tank, I pumped 11.589 gallons so that works out to 32.1 mpg. The tank was full when it was reset last and the display also reset when the odo was reset said exactly 39.4 mpg.
If I was truly getting close to 40 mpg I would think the tank range would easily be 500 miles. When I reset the trip #2 display it say my range is 525 miles.
Something is definitely not right, any thoughts?
I try to never fill up before the 500 mile mark. But I'm only getting 35-36mpg.
Use the Fuelly app to track mpg, it's great!

Michael A

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 VW Touareg TDI Executive
I try to never fill up before the 500 mile mark. But I'm only getting 35-36mpg.
Use the Fuelly app to track mpg, it's great!
So when your calculating 35-36 mpg what is the cars dash calculation saying?
Mine is off by 7 mpg ....

dmanb2b

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta, 2011 335D
OK one last time.
Buyback is NADA clean-trade in value plus/minus mileage addition/subtraction...in other words value.
Restitution is 20% of that 'value' + $2983 with a minimum of $5100.

If you have an eligible seller that can claim on your car...and does so with 45 days of the judge signing off, he/she gets 50% of the 'restitution' amount, and you the other 50%.
You own the car..so you get 100% of the buyback 'value' (NADA)...and at least 50% of the restitution.
Question...does it matter if I puchase from a VW dealer? Current car I am looking at has been on dealer lot for 53 days. Thanks

tanner

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 BRM 5-Speed, 2013 Golf TDI 6-Speed, 2011 Golf TDI 6-Speed
okay dilemma. I'm looking at a 2015 A3 Premium TDi with under 40k, but close enough I'll use that as a baseline.

I looked up the carfax history and the vehicle was sold at auction 5/27/16 and has been sitting on used car lots ever since.

asking price 22k, I may could offer 20k.
buyback amount $34,045 - miles $1,320 = net $32,725
Modification is $7,945

NADA Clean Retail was right around 22k
KBB low end buy back from dealer 20k

I get all, if prior owner doesn't know of the buyback and registering.
Or 50% if they do register, and if 50% what is that number exactly?

Also I seen where a person previously commented that if the previous owner he would negotiate because he's not required to do anything, I don't think you'll ever know if the person registered till your other 50% just doesn't come in, and I'm sure that VW would never release the previous owners personal info the the current owner.

Last edited:

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
It's not quite clear how post-6/28 buyers will be compensated. I don't see any basis in the settlement documents for paying them anything less than the full buyback/fix amount, depending on which they do, whether the eligible seller claims or not. However, I can't imagine that VW paying half again what they otherwise would have is the right answer, either. Logic would suggest that reducing the compensation of post-6/28 buyers by the amount paid to the eligible sellers of those cars would be the thing to do, but again, I don't see any basis in the settlement documents for doing that.

The eligible seller, if he claims, will get half the "fix" compensation. If post-6/28 buyers are treated the same as post-9/17 buyers, your payment (whether you fix or sell back) will be reduced by this amount. In addition, you'll get a share of whatever is left in the eligible seller pool once all the eligible sellers have claimed.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
Question...does it matter if I puchase from a VW dealer? Current car I am looking at has been on dealer lot for 53 days. Thanks
It isn't clear. The definition of "eligible vehicle" in the settlement documents doesn't appear to include any car owned by a VW dealer on 6/28, which the car you're looking at would have been. If a VW dealer got the car after 6/28, it's eligible. If they sold (and registered) it before 6/28, it's eligible. If it was owned by a non-VW dealer on 6/28, it's eligible. But the way that section reads right now, it doesn't look like a car owned by a VW dealer on 6/28 is eligible.

ncsuhunter

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
I have a question about this. I traded my 2013 Jetta tdi in January (knowingly and accepting all losses). I was having some problems with the car (DPF light, other small things, etc) and just wanted to get rid of it. I owned the car about a year. To my knowledge it is still sitting on the VW lot here in town. Will I get any compensation from VW? I took the loss when I traded it knowing that it was just that, a loss. Would be a nice surprise to recoup some of that loss.

Freeze Plug

Veteran Member
TDI
Turd Sandwich
you are entitled to 50% of the restitution money if you submit your claim within the specified eligible seller identification period

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
you are entitled to 50% of the restitution money if you submit your claim within the specified eligible seller identification period
Are you sure? Since it was owned by a VW dealer on 6/28, it seems to fall into a gray area. I don't think it's really intended that cars like this would not be eligible, but there's certainly an argument to be made that this is what the FTC order says.

Freeze Plug

Veteran Member
TDI
Turd Sandwich
Are you sure? Since it was owned by a VW dealer on 6/28, it seems to fall into a gray area. I don't think it's really intended that cars like this would not be eligible, but there's certainly an argument to be made that this is what the FTC order says.
I think that it would be hard to deny it, because I'm assuming it was registered to the owner post september 2015 (having owned it prior to the news breaking) but pre june 2016. It technically meets the clause below:

"(2) registered with
state Department of Motor Vehicles or equivalent agency or held by bill of sale by a non-Volkswagen Dealer in the United States or its territories as of June 28, 2016"

Last edited:

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
That depends on how you read "as of" (which is almost as bad as arguing the definition of "is"). Its ordinary, strict meaning would be "on"--that is, registered with the DMV, or held by a non-VW dealer, on 6/28. @ncsuhunter's car would be neither--its registration would have been canceled when he traded it in, and it isn't neld by a non-VW dealer. I can't see any logical reason for excluding from the set of Eligible Vehicles those that were held by a VW dealer on 6/28, which is why I suspect that isn't what's intended by that clause, but I think that is the most natural reading of it.

If you read "as of" to mean "on or before", the clause makes much more sense--the eligible vehicles are then anything that had been sold by 6/28, whether or not they'd made their way back to a VW dealer on 6/28.

sierra3

TDI
'12 Passat TDI SE / '13 Passat TDI SE
I get all, if prior owner doesn't know of the buyback and registering.

Also I seen where a person previously commented that if the previous owner he would negotiate because he's not required to do anything, I don't think you'll ever know if the person registered till your other 50% just doesn't come in, and I'm sure that VW would never release the previous owners personal info the the current owner.
Somewhere in here I did some math regarding the 50% thing. It would be next to impossible for the 'eligible buyer' (you) to get the full other 50% of the amount. Why? Because there is a 'sellers pool' which equals 50% of the total for all cars that transferred ownership after 9/18. (How VW knows this number I have no clue). Since that pool is dimished by each 'eligible seller' that claims their share, the only way you would get 100% of your eligible seller's 50% would be if NO ONE registered as a registered seller...and then ALL 'eligible buyers' would receive the same amount (because the pool would contain 100% of the cash)..which would be about the same as you getting the full amount.

Another example, would be if there are 100 cars that transferred ownership after 9/28, 100 buyers would get their 50% based on the value of their specific car. However, if 99 of the 100 eligible sellers registered, they would each also get their share of their car. Sum up all of the amounts that those 99 sellers received, subtract it from the total pool amount, and distribute equally across all 100 buyers.

I believe there is some VW trickery here which saves them cash, but that is what the settlement says.

Freeze Plug

Veteran Member
TDI
Turd Sandwich
That depends on how you read "as of" (which is almost as bad as arguing the definition of "is"). Its ordinary, strict meaning would be "on"--that is, registered with the DMV, or held by a non-VW dealer, on 6/28. @ncsuhunter's car would be neither--its registration would have been canceled when he traded it in, and it isn't neld by a non-VW dealer. I can't see any logical reason for excluding from the set of Eligible Vehicles those that were held by a VW dealer on 6/28, which is why I suspect that isn't what's intended by that clause, but I think that is the most natural reading of it.

If you read "as of" to mean "on or before", the clause makes much more sense--the eligible vehicles are then anything that had been sold by 6/28, whether or not they'd made their way back to a VW dealer on 6/28.
I agree completely, the "As of" needs to clarified. I interpreted it as "on or before" however that may not be the case, though it is the reasonable direction to lean for sure

Freeze Plug

Veteran Member
TDI
Turd Sandwich
the way I see it, things will likely iron out to accept ALL vehicles that fall into the 2.0L tdi categories regardless of current eligibility or not with the exception of title status and purchase date technicalities....by excluding any specific groups, VW is just shooting themselves in the foot...errr....wallet

ncsuhunter

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
this is quoted from the FTC document

T. “Eligible Seller” means a person who purchased or otherwise acquired an
Eligible Vehicle on or before September 18, 2015 and sold or otherwise transferred ownership of such vehicle after September 18, 2015 but before June 28, 2016. For avoidance of doubt, Eligible Seller includes any owner whose Eligible Vehicle was totaled and who consequently transferred title of their vehicle to an insurance company on or after September 18, 2015, but before June 28, 2016.

U. “Eligible Seller Restitution” means the monetary compensation that Defendant
will pay to Eligible Sellers who timely file a claim application under and participate in the Settlement Program, equal to 50% of the amount specified in the second column of Attachment 1A for the Eligible Seller’s Eligible Vehicle. Eligible Seller Restitution shall be paid from funds set aside in accordance with the Settlement Program.

This would be me. I purchased the car before September 18, 2015 and traded the car (transferred ownership) in January 2016 (before June 28 2016). From this it sounds like I'd be entitled to 50% of the Attachment 1A column. Again, this was unexpected and I'm still a little skeptical, but it sounds promising. Thanks for the discussion!

I800C0LLECT

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta & Passat
Maybe I'm dumb but in exhibit 3 - long form... It says the following...

Page 10. FAQ 9:

9. Am I included in the class action settlement?

All persons (including individuals and entities) who, on September 18, 2015, were registered owners or lessees of a Volkswagen or Audi 2.0-liter TDI vehicle in the United States our it's territories (an "Eligible Vehicle" listed on page 1 of this notice), or who, between September 18, 2015, and the end of the claim period*, become a registered owner of an Eligible Vehicle
I added the asterisk because the end of the claim period is September 1, 2018.

I think this clears up confusion and removes the grey area concerning purchases after June 28, 2016.

Anybody disagree? Opinions?

fredthe

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagon SEL DSG

I think this clears up confusion and removes the grey area concerning purchases after June 28, 2016.

Actually, that makes a lot of sense.
That means that every impacted TDI has the option to be bought back or fixed, even if it changes hands multiple times. At some point an owner can opt for either, and get cash. With either option the car is either scrapped or modified, hence no longer eligible. In the post June 18, 2016 context, all that matters is convincing an owner to get the fix or buyback, which being part of the class allows. Opting out of the class really doesn't apply to a new (Post June 28) owner, because they had the opportunity to know exactly what was happening and then have no basis for bringing individual action against VW.

SuperDaveAPK

TDI
2009 Jetta
Flipping?

Page 10. FAQ 9:

With such a long claim period, flipping looks like a get rich quick scenario?

Freeze Plug

Veteran Member
TDI
Turd Sandwich
Yes, assuming there is enough meat on the bone after taxes, registration, and factoring in only 50% restitution - though after 7/26 we will likely know more in regard to the actual restitution for cars bought after 6/28 since it is still a gray area

Freeze Plug

Veteran Member
TDI
Turd Sandwich
I am not sure that it explicitly states anywhere that those who purchase post 6/28 get 100% restitution. I recall that two documents were conflicting in that respect, I don't have them up to look at right now

SuperDaveAPK

TDI
2009 Jetta
Unless I missed it, VW only has to notify current owners.

Wondering how many previous owners would even know to file. Much less meet the 45 day window.

Granted pre-June 28 was a bunch of speculation but why sell/trade a car at the current low value if you knew there would be some type of compensation later?

I'm seeing $4-8k potential profits on local listings using current settlement numbers. I have never been a gambler, but the opportunity to buy low and sell high is appealing.

motoblue

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf DSG
I agree with 1-800's interpretation.

Reading through the long form provides some clarity. As I sift through the long form myself, it seems to me:

June 28 2016 was the last date someone could sell their eligible car and still be a class member as an eligible owner.

If you bought your eligible car after September 18 2015, your restitution is 50% plus a proportionate amount, etc. etc. June 28, 2016 demarks nothing, except it was the last day to remain an eligible seller, and the last day a VAG dealer could have sold the vehicle and still have its buyer eligible for the 50%+ restitution - IOTW, June 28 2016 is only relevant to defining eligible sellers and eligible vehicles.

There doesn't seem to be any scenario in which a post-9/18/15 buyer will receive 100% of restitution, even in the extremely unlikely event that all eligible sellers fail to register for their compensation. I say this because even a small (?) number of these used cars were owned by VAG dealers on 9/18/15, and are thus excluded as eligible sellers.

Think like a corporate entity that is trying to limit their losses. There is no eligible seller for those cars, but there is an eligible buyer, just as the OP originally surmised. All that means is that VW is not on the hook for the seller portion of the restitution on that population of affected cars. I can't believe they would chuck those funds back into the seller pool, nor would I blame them, really. I would surmise (pure speculation), that VW will settle up with their dealers through an internal program, just like the dealer buy-back program they put into place early in the scandal.

Common sense also tells me that eligible sellers who register by the deadline won't have to wait for the buyers of their vehicles to get their vehicles bought back/fixed to get their share of the $$$. To simplify things, I'd expect they'll get their payments timely after the registration period ends, just straight up 50% of column 2 on the 1A attachment, no mileage adjustment. So the idea of leveraging the eligible seller (and yeah, privacy laws would probably prevent VAG from disclosing who that would be, anyway) in any way to the eligible owner's payment seems unlikely. Again, tho, that's my common sense guess, and you should read through the docs yourselves. TBH, I already have a good idea of what the settlement means to me as the original owner and am mostly okay with it, so I'm just reading through the docs out of a perverse curiousity.

Last edited:

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
Ah, so gray area as to whether post-6/28 buyers get 50% or 100%? Agreed, that's not quite clear. I think (based on what I found in the Eligible Seller Restitution part of the FTC Consent order and posted in one of these threads) the answer is that post-6/28 buyers get 100% unless there's an Eligible Seller for their car who submits a timely claim. But that could stand to be clarified.