Electrical !?!

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
I believe he wants you to do voltage drop tests, so negative battery post to the clamp on the neg cable (at the battery; they are touching), then from the battery neg post to the other ground points mentioned (trans ground and alt case).

If all 4 points are at the same voltage (ideal), you'd get a reading of 0 volts since there's no differential. But in real life, there's always some loss at connections and along wires. It should be minimal, the "few tenths of a volt" mentioned.

On the positive side same thing--battery pos post to the clamp around it, then batt post to the positive stud on the alt.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Not following. Measure from Pos post to neg clamp, trans ground, then alt case? Nick
I wasn't clear.
From the Positive post to the alternator stud.
I would not want to see much voltage.
Have the AC on, fan on high, and headlights on.
These tests are to check the wires.
If there's a problem you would see higher voltage.
Only takes a few minutes.

nick02

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta silver
I ended up following the codes, replaced ignition switch, removed fuses 6,14, 37,38, & 42. Disconnected my stereo. Started at idle, 14.4 volts, turned lights on hi, fan on hi, volts 13.5. When attempting to connect my amps back, sparks.. I think one of them my be shorted out. Putting that on the back burner. I am going to put the fuses back in and hopefully it was the ignition switch and amp. Nick

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Can you run power to one of the amps at a time through an amp gauge?
See if one uses more power.

nick02

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta silver
I have them removed from the equation right now. I am going to run it and put 1 fuse back in at a time. The one thing I can't figure is when I disconnected the battery, I had 3 volts between the pos/neg cables.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Try putting a test light on the two cables then measure the voltage.
Some cars do have a small 12 volt battery to retain setting.

nick02

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta silver
I put all fuses back in Saturday. Ran fine Saturday, Sunday, & Monday morning. Monday afternoon, fired up ,two blocks, blinking ABS & brake light. Shut it off, fired it up, no problems rest of drive (20miles). Tuesday morning, backed out of driveway, blinking brake & ABS.. headlights OFF. Stalls and parking lights ON! Key off parking lights on key on parking lights on. Would turn over -no start. Key off cycle headlight switch, parking lights went off, and it started. After work, several stops, 100 miles or so, not a problem. I am going to pull the headlight switch and see if it might be shorted.

Deckard

TDI
03 Jetta auto TDI / 03 Golf manual TDI
I put all fuses back in Saturday. Ran fine Saturday, Sunday, & Monday morning. Monday afternoon, fired up ,two blocks, blinking ABS & brake light. Shut it off, fired it up, no problems rest of drive (20miles). Tuesday morning, backed out of driveway, blinking brake & ABS.. headlights OFF. Stalls and parking lights ON! Key off parking lights on key on parking lights on. Would turn over -no start. Key off cycle headlight switch, parking lights went off, and it started. After work, several stops, 100 miles or so, not a problem. I am going to pull the headlight switch and see if it might be shorted.
Please update your progress

irvingj

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon TDI (PD/BEW)
No, I'm not nick02, but in my situation: I bought a battery load tester, and over the numerous times I tested my battery, it always came out in the "GOOD" section, at something over 700CCA according to the tester. This was a tester that had a big-a$@ heating element in it ("DO NOT PUSH BUTTON FOR MORE THAN 10 SECONDS"), and it did, indeed, get quite red as it heated up.

I kept going, but still found I couldn't play the radio for an hour with the car off without having to put a charger on it to get started again. If you look at my previous posts, I'd cleaned all the grounds and replaced both + and - battery cables, to no avail (though some improvement). Still experienced the same 5-8-second cranks before starting and couldn't play the radio for more than a few minutes with the car off.

Finally, I bit the bullet and replaced the battery with a new NAPA "Legend," the same as I had in it. Wow. Car now starts like it used to! Cranking, even when stone cold, is no more than 1-2 seconds before she fires up. Occasionally it'll crank almost 5 seconds before firing, if it's warm and I've shut it off for only a minute or two, but that's rare; 95% of the time, only 1-2 seconds of cranking is necessary.

Still can't figure why the battery tested good but didn't seem to hold up (?), but I'm a happy camper now.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
No, I'm not nick02, but in my situation: I bought a battery load tester, and over the numerous times I tested my battery, it always came out in the "GOOD" section, at something over 700CCA according to the tester. This was a tester that had a big-a$@ heating element in it ("DO NOT PUSH BUTTON FOR MORE THAN 10 SECONDS"), and it did, indeed, get quite red as it heated up.

I kept going, but still found I couldn't play the radio for an hour with the car off without having to put a charger on it to get started again. If you look at my previous posts, I'd cleaned all the grounds and replaced both + and - battery cables, to no avail (though some improvement). Still experienced the same 5-8-second cranks before starting and couldn't play the radio for more than a few minutes with the car off.

Finally, I bit the bullet and replaced the battery with a new NAPA "Legend," the same as I had in it. Wow. Car now starts like it used to! Cranking, even when stone cold, is no more than 1-2 seconds before she fires up. Occasionally it'll crank almost 5 seconds before firing, if it's warm and I've shut it off for only a minute or two, but that's rare; 95% of the time, only 1-2 seconds of cranking is necessary.

Still can't figure why the battery tested good but didn't seem to hold up (?), but I'm a happy camper now.
I had a battery do that recently too. It tested good, but wouldn't start the car without a Jumpstart. I put a new battery in and viola, it was fixed.