Electrical steering rack schematic

NoelMcC

TDI
2005 Tdi Wagon; 81 Vanagon Subaru conversion.
Hi Guys
Hopefully one of you can help me,I have a steering rack from a 2009 Tdi Jetta and am trying to get it working on the bench.
Do any of you have a schematic for it please and very much thanks if you do.
Regards
Frustrated
Noel

tdim5

TDI
2010 TDI CUP EDITION
Hi I have taken apart one of these racks before what problem are you experiencing? if there is no power steering then the unit that connects to the steering linkage more than likely is at fault. you can test the motor on bench. depending on code you have if any or steering wheel light on dash module is common fault which is pretty much the whole unit as you cant buy the module which is the part that connects the steering. I swapped one of them before I had a good module my problem with the rack was the loose play in shaft if you have a vag com you can move the wheel and see if you have input when you move the wheel that will let you know if wiring integrate is there I have a 2010 jetta the wiring harness is separate harness all by itself

NoelMcC

TDI
2005 Tdi Wagon; 81 Vanagon Subaru conversion.
Hi I have taken apart one of these racks before what problem are you experiencing? if there is no power steering then the unit that connects to the steering linkage more than likely is at fault. you can test the motor on bench. depending on code you have if any or steering wheel light on dash module is common fault which is pretty much the whole unit as you cant buy the module which is the part that connects the steering. I swapped one of them before I had a good module my problem with the rack was the loose play in shaft if you have a vag com you can move the wheel and see if you have input when you move the wheel that will let you know if wiring integrate is there I have a 2010 jetta the wiring harness is separate harness all by itself
Thanks

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
If you are referring to the 2005 in your tag line, I'm fairly certain a 2009 rack will work in ii unless you change some other component in the steering system as well. There is a thread about that somewhere on this site.

relumalutan

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI Special Edition
The 2005 steering racks are probably the second generation, I know my 06 Jetta has a second generation one (held by 4 bolts to the sub-frame, the steering angle module (G85?) is located behind the steering wheel). Sometimes in 2007 if I'm not mistaken, VW switched to the third generation steering racks (held by 3 bolts to the sub-frame, the steering angle sensor is part of the steering rack, and an updated harness must be used). VCDS programming is needed on a car that previously had a second generation steering rack and it was upgraded to a third generation steering rack (to disable the G85 sensor behind the steering wheel).