electrical+battery issues, code p068a, 2014 jetta sportwagon

mattcoyote1042

TDI
2014 jetta sportwagon tdi
showing code P068A: "power relay de-energized performance too early"
has anyone dealt with a similar issue? is it resolved by replacing this power relay?
is this the correct power relay: https://parts.vw.com/p/Volkswagen_2014_Jetta/Accessory-Power-Relay/52919700/5C0951253A.html
where is this located in the vehicle to replace it?

more details below, any help or advice received gratefully. thank you!

i got this car (now with 100k miles) few months ago. there had been a leak from the sunroof coming into the car, it hasn't done this since i've had it. one day i had a dead battery, i got a jump, had the battery tested and all seemed well. then it died again, so i got a new battery (optima yellow top). ever since it has had electrical issues with the sunroof and windows, as well as not starting reliably. it will take many tries to start. once, after sitting for 6 days, it wouldn't start at all. it ended up starting with a jump. i've noticed that if i try to start it and it doesn't start, if i let it sit for a few minutes it's more likely to start. i tested the voltage and it was below 11, still, eventually it started. when it's running the voltage was at around 13.8. even when i disconnect the battery while it sits it the problem persists. it didn't seem to take a charge—only showing 1 ohm and still had trouble starting.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
You stated the battery was good, then later was below 11v? Where was the voltage drop? Further down the electrical line or at the battery itself? Are you dropping voltage I.E. corrosion, loose connection, bad ground etc...?

The pano roof can need to be re calibrated after a battery change (mine needed that done). Where was the pano leaking, front (L or R), rear...? The front L for example can (and will) corrode a ground on the A-pillar area and cause weird issues. Low voltage is :(

mattcoyote1042

TDI
2014 jetta sportwagon tdi
hi, thanks for your reply. i am a complete newb when it comes to even attempting to work on/trouble shoot issues like this with a car. so thanks for your patience.

i have no idea where the voltage drop is. that's what i'm hoping to figure out. as soon as the engine is turned off, it starts dropping rapidly. when we observed it, it dropped below 12v within 20-30 minutes. and, even when i disconnected the battery, it still had issues.

i'm not sure where exactly the leak was because it was before i got the car. how can the pano be re-calibrated? (couldn't find anything on a quick search) could i do this or need to take to shop/dealer?

do you think changing that relay could help?

one shop i talked to said that if the computer is damaged/corroded then even if they looked at it, i'd likely have to take it to a dealer for the computer. is this true? or would shops that specialize in VWs be able to handle that?

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
Voltage under 10.5ish does all sorts of weird things as a modern car is very sensitive to exacting voltages. Correct voltage diagnostic input can make all the difference. Where, when, how much. need to be as acute as possible. Not trying to lecture but bad input often willl = bad output. That said there are a few other sections here that may be better suited to deal with your particular drivability problem.

Spacifically, I would first be clear on
1 battery full charge voltage, then battery voltage reading AFTER a heavy load of cranking, etc..
2 do you lose voltage as you go further down the electrical circuit (voltage drop)?
Simple Example: 13.5v @ battery then 10v @ starter = 3.5v voltage drop (loss)
V loss = resistance... loose conections, corroded cable etc...

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
Two more things came to mind after rereading your original post

* There are alot of post in the mkVI sportwagon section (probably other sections too) regarding battery replacement needing recoded.
* relays can be sneaky ill buggers and hard to pinpoint failures sometimes, you may have something but I would first remedie battery situation

MrCypherr

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
Id suggest maybe looking at the lower A-Pillar for water on the grounds or wiring connectors there. Also check the fuses to see if any water leaked into the fuse panel and started corroding some of the fuses. While youre down there, Check your Central Electrics (J519), I have seen water getting there and leaking either inside the module or inside the connectors that connect to it. Usually 2 or 3 connectors depending on the model.