Electric vehicles (EVs), their emissions, and future viability

Status
Not open for further replies.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Here's a really cool timelapse video of gigafactory Berlin under construction. Pretty sizable dustdevil at ~33 seconds in. The two excavator operators in the background also do some pretty good synchronized digging:

https://youtu.be/3pKYBqdXtSg

Tin Man

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Daughter's: 2004 NB TDI PD GLS DSG (gone to pasture)
https://fee.org/articles/electric-cars-aren-t-nearly-as-green-as-people-think/
is an example of current EV emissions not anywhere close to "zero emissions"

What I would like to know is, what about the heat (warming) that occurs from capturing energy from sun/hydro/wind and releasing it into the atmosphere through high-powered EV tech? No-one seems to mention this as a source of climate change itself - the heat generated by EV use! Maybe not any different or at least better than ICE, but shouldn't we at least measure this???

Tin Man

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Is Moxie still around? My late uncle loved that stuff. Since he passed I honestly haven't given it a thought.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Is Moxie still around? My late uncle loved that stuff. Since he passed I honestly haven't given it a thought.
Yup, it still exists somehow. Though Pepsi, or Coke, or whoever bought them out just stopped producing it in 12 oz cans this month. I think it's days are numbered.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Heh, I thought everyone in New England had to enjoy Moxie, just like everyone in Missouri has to have a pickup truck! :p

Daemon64

Veteran Member
TDI
2022 Polestar 2 BEV - Current, 2021 Q5 55e PHEV - Retired, 2015 Q5 3.0 TDI - Retired, 2013 Golf TDI - Retired
No way oilhammer --- Massachusetts here as well, and that stuff is straight trash... I had an older friend who loved the stuff... and I looked at him after trying it and said.... Why?!

heh...

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
Mmmm.....Moxie. Every time one of my friends mention that they're going up that way, I make sure they bring me back a case.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Isn't it like bitter coffee and RC cola kind of mixed? Or at least tastes that way?

Hey, I tried Vegamite once... no idea how the entirety of Australia could be so ga-ga over that stuff. Tasted like ear wax and kerosene to me... and I am not a picky eater. :eek:

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
Isn't it like bitter coffee and RC cola kind of mixed? Or at least tastes that way?
Hey, I tried Vegamite once... no idea how the entirety of Australia could be so ga-ga over that stuff. Tasted like ear wax and kerosene to me... and I am not a picky eater. :eek:
Yuk! Any self respecting Kiwi uses Marmite. Finally found Publix down in Florida carries it in their international section. Extra crispy toast, a little butter, a little Marmite - that's good!

Jason

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Coffee and RC Cola isn't too far off. I'd describe the Moxie flavor as Tab and cough syrup. I like the sort of regional/cultural aspect much more than the taste.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
I've figured out how Moxie can bring their brand back from the dead: they should commission a new Horse-mobile from a Tesla model S sedan and get it to trend on Instagram and Twitter.

Bam! Back on topic.

Note to the head of Moxie marketing: you're welcome. Send check to Nick in Phoenix. Thanks.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
My average electrical bill is around $50 to $60/month in SE Texas so my ROI with solar panels installed on the roof of my house would be probably around 20 years at current installations costs.
Just FYI, i received my July electric bill on Friday. Power generation charges are about $0.12/kWh, but various charges (distribution, other charges) bring the total per kWh to almost $0.24. As best I can calculate we used 1140 kWh, generated about 750 of that. It's a bit hard to calculate because my bill is generated on the 15th of the month and my solar reporting is on a calendar month, but June and July production here is pretty equal.I think that's a lot of electricity, but I'm in a 25 year-old house that has received some Mass Save energy saving measures but otherwise is pretty typical. 2,800 square feet, central air and a pool. And the second part of June was pretty hot, a bunch of 90 degree days.

Net metering from the Spring covered the bill and I still have enough credit to pay August, most likely. Without solar my bill would have been about $275.

Tin Man

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Just FYI, i received my July electric bill on Friday. Power generation charges are about $0.12/kWh, but various charges (distribution, other charges) bring the total per kWh to almost $0.24. As best I can calculate we used 1140 kWh, generated about 750 of that. It's a bit hard to calculate because my bill is generated on the 15th of the month and my solar reporting is on a calendar month, but June and July production here is pretty equal.I think that's a lot of electricity, but I'm in a 25 year-old house that has received some Mass Save energy saving measures but otherwise is pretty typical. 2,800 square feet, central air and a pool. And the second part of June was pretty hot, a bunch of 90 degree days.

Net metering from the Spring covered the bill and I still have enough credit to pay August, most likely. Without solar my bill would have been about $275.
So, with the costs of having to finance solar, maintenance (low at first) having solar costs how much?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Paid cash for the solar, my recollection was the system cost about $16,000, less a $2000 MA rebate and an $8,000 federal tax credit, so net cost was about $12,000. Seven years in maintenance has been zero. I also receive about $2,000 a year from carbon credit sales. My installer is a broker for the carbon credits so I report production monthly to the MA site and he just sends me a check twice a year.

Tin Man

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Paid cash for the solar, my recollection was the system cost about $16,000, less a $2000 MA rebate and an $8,000 federal tax credit, so net cost was about $12,000. Seven years in maintenance has been zero. I also receive about $2,000 a year from carbon credit sales. My installer is a broker for the carbon credits so I report production monthly to the MA site and he just sends me a check twice a year.
So a system costing a net $12,000 that say, lasts about 20 years, that's about roughly $50 a month.

The $2,000 a year from carbon credit sales is calculated into the $12,000 or subtracted? Would be a great deal if it was!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Carbon credit sales are not calculated into the $12,000. So in addition to getting pretty much free power for the past seven years from that $12,000 cost, I've also received about $14,000 in carbon credit payments. I expect at some point the carbon credit payments may go away, but so far, so good.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Carbon credit sales are not calculated into the $12,000. So in addition to getting pretty much free power for the past seven years from that $12,000 cost, I've also received about $14,000 in carbon credit payments. I expect at some point the carbon credit payments may go away, but so far, so good.

Clearly that was a great investment for you. Shows that is entirely possible to do good and do well simultaneously.

The first walls of Giga Berlin are up! I think this must be the most expedited major construction project in Germany in the last 75+ years. https://youtu.be/RbWb2UESuwQ

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.