Electric door locks

NickBeek

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI 2006 Dodge Ram
I have been wondering. How would one get into their 2011 Jetta if the battery died? When I use the key in the door it seems it actuates the electric door locks. It doesn't seem that there is a mechanical connection to the lock at all.

Thankfully this problem hasn't occurred to me, but I wonder what VW was thinking when they designed this set up.

TDI_Timmy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW, DSG, Pano
I have never ran into this issue, but I am sure there is a mechanical locking mechanism.

It is just that if you use your key with a working battery, as soon as you turn it far enough it hits the solenoid (or whatever you want to call it) and then that throws the lock, giving the illusion of no mechanical connection. If the battery is dead, it would not power the locks and you would unlock it mechanically with the key. At least this is how I would over-engineer it! :D

Hoping others will jump in - seriously taking a stab it.

I just think there would be so many lawsuits if they didn't have a mechanical connection.

Last edited:

NickBeek

Veteran Member
TDI
I sure hope there is some backup plan in place. It doesn't feel at all like there is a mechanical connection. Maybe there is a capacitor that holds enough energy to throw the solenoid one time as a back up. I'd like to know.....

TDI_Timmy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW, DSG, Pano
Try at your own risk -

Take the positive cable off the battery and see how the door lock operates.

Might have to reset clock and radio - but might answer your question unless someone on here has a question.

I don't think it is a capacitator at all - but rather as you rotate the key in the lock to lock/unlock it hits a switch that then hits then does it for you. It makes it feel seamless. When there is no power, switch won't work but rotating of the tumbler will lock/unlock a door.

Thinking about this from a liability stand point I can't imagine a manufacturer not allowing doors to lock/unlock without the aid of a battery. Imagine this - dog left in hot car - windows up, battery dead and no one around to jump it - also can't wait 2+ hours for VW roadside assistance because doors won't unlock. Two options - 1) person waits, dog dies - person sues VW because doors wouldn't unlock, and had there been a manual lock it would hve been a problem (of course, person shouldn't have left car in hot sun with windows up. 2) person finds something to smash out a window - person files a claim for damage to car with VW because again if the door could have been unlocked manually window wouldn't have to be smashed out.

Maybe I am way off base here, and like I said I don't know how the door locks work with key - but I just can't see it as something that wouldn't be worked manually or as a one time deal.

(also, said person would have more than just two options, just trying to shorten it.)

wwwabbit

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta
Consider that a KESSY equipped car has the emergency cover you pop off to get to the door lock so you can unlock the doors should you have a dead battery, I would only guess that it is connected through some manual linkage to unlock the door. My thought is electronic assist.

NickBeek

Veteran Member
TDI
Snake I don't have KESSY or a cover over the lock on my door handle. Re read what I wrote....

TDI_Timmy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW, DSG, Pano
Hey NickBeek - sorry about the red frown face as the title of my previous post - didn't see that it was there until just now.

I found a diagram of sorts and the mechanical connection looks to be a lock cable. I'll try to post the pic tomorrow - can't do it from my iPhone.

NickBeek

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks Timmy! It's good to know there is a backup to the electric.

Btw, I didn't notice the red face. :)

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Talk about convenience...

I just posted this in the Golf 6 "My car caught fire" thread. Same info applies here.

The door lock cylinder is electromechanical. By definition, that means it is electronic and mechanical.

When you rotate the key 45* off center, it does contact a switch which wakes up the CECM and unlocks the door.

If the battery is dead or disconnected, you can continue to rotate the key to 90* off center and it would mechanically push the lock to the unlocked position.

So technically, the OP could have opened the door if he had just twisted the key a little more.

I have had to do this several times on my 2000 when the battery died.