EGT thermocouple placement

2004PassatTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Sedan, 2016 E250 Sport
I was wondering if anyone has installed an EGT gauge for the Passat 2.0L TDI. If so, where exactly did you place the thermocouple?

Thanks in advance.

Ernst

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
The car already has thermocouple (known as turbocharger intake temperature sensor G507). It is located in the exhaust manifold between where the exhaust ports come together and where the turbo bolts on. VAG-COM displays the reading in ECM measuring blocks group 067 zone 1, though the latest (as of this writing) labels file do not label it.

vw4life

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg TDI
MOGolf, is the presence of the aforementioned TC in the passat true of mk4 cars?

I had inquired at scan gauge if they intended to incorporate EGT but they said there was no none vehicle that reported EGT via ODBII.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
For North America it is not on the 1Z, AHU, ALH, BEW nor BRM. Only the BHW in the 04-05 Passat. I'll have to check with my OBD-II software and see if it reports anything.

vw4life

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg TDI
It would be really great if you had any info to add as scan-gauge might be able to support that if possible.

Then it'd be great for towing as it also supports the trans temp now. MAP and EGT with no probes to add would be fabulous.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I do not find EGT in the OBD-2 readings.

vw4life

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg TDI
So is it correct that VAG-COM is an extended set of communicaiton protocol for ODBII for VW and thus something like the scan gauge wouldn't be able to access the built in EGT on the passat?

Besides road tripping with a laptop and vagcom hooked up would there be any other way to access the passats EGT values?

vw4life

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg TDI
Is there any way to get a signal from this sensor besides VAGCOM? (or vagcom like analogs)

If no, then what is the recommended way to get an EGT probe in there before the turbo?

vw4life

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg TDI
So, has anyone added an EGT to the passat?

Is VAGCOM the only way to access the BHW's stock probe? Is there a way to piggy back the stock probe with an aftermarket gauge or digital meter?

Last edited:

Radman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Audi A6 TDI, 2014 Touareg TDI
MOGolf said:
The car already has thermocouple (known as turbocharger intake temperature sensor G507). It is located in the exhaust manifold between where the exhaust ports come together and where the turbo bolts on. VAG-COM displays the reading in ECM measuring blocks group 067 zone 1, though the latest (as of this writing) labels file do not label it.
This would imply that it is an INTAKE temperature sensor not Exhaust. Known as the IAT sensor (Intake Air Temp) nothing to do with the exhaust temp. You need a Pyrometer for that preferably instlled pre-turbo. I had one in my 2000 Golf TDI and my 2004 Jetta PD TDI. Found it to be quite useless even with mods you have to be at full throttle for well over a minute to get anywhere near the danger zone. Was only good for shutting down engine I would wait until below 500*. Decided not to put one on the Passat TDI. Not worth the trouble IMO. Depends on how you drive and how hot it is in your area (and your mods, or if towing?)

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Radman, it is not an intake temperature sensor. Go look at your car. You'll see the sensor just above where the turbocharger bolts to the exhaust manifold.

Radman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I see the O2 sensor on top of the manifold right after the turbo, but nothing else resembling a EGT probe :confused: Are you sure? Forgive my ignorance this is my first Passat TDI but third TDI and never knew or heard of this:rolleyes: You have me intrigued;) My Bentley does not cover the TDI to check:(

Last edited:

vw4life

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg TDI
So, if I want to read my EGT using the existing probe, is it correct that the only easy way to do that is with VAG COM and that the EGT signal is NOT accessible by ODB2 and therefore not accessable to any stand alone gauge or scangauge type instrument?

Is there anyway to tap the signal of the thermocouple (not possible if RTD though) for display on a gauge in the cabin?

Reason I was this is I want to chip my car, but I tow a boat too. On the way to the cabin are a couple decent grades- I don't have to run flat out, but I'm probably boarderline on requiring an EGT.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The image from Bentley

Radman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I wonder if you were to remove that probe and put an aftermarket one in what would happen? CEL? Im sure it is a safety cut-off featureif temps get too high car will go into limp mode.

vw4life

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg TDI
I guess a good question is then, if the car is equipped with EGT what does the computer do with the signal if EGTs are high? Does the computer reduce fueling or boost to protect itself?

If I chip my car, would it still do that?

If yes to both, then I probably don't even need an aftermarket EGT.

Does anyone know?

JungleDeath

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Golf_11 JSW
vw4life said:
.... Does the computer reduce fueling or boost to protect itself?
I would not doubt it does
If I chip my car......Please do. Second gear is a friggen hoot w/ RC 2...
Why is EGT so important? Curious...

FollowTheBlackRabbit

Veteran Member
TDI
05 TDI Passat variant, 03 Dodge 2500 Cummins
Bump it up!

I have an 05 BHW and have a McNally EGT /Boost combo. I already installed the boost sensor, but i am stumped as to where else is acceptable to mount the EGT probe.

Space is so tight in there i am not sure of the routing of exhaust. I wonder if i can drill and tap from the under the engine... has anyone done this?

ALso if anyone has removed the stock EGT and replaced it with an aftermarket EGT probe, has this negatively impacted any other funstions of the car? In other words, if i remove the stock EGT, what happens???

FollowTheBlackRabbit

Veteran Member
TDI
05 TDI Passat variant, 03 Dodge 2500 Cummins
My aftermarket EGT sensor is zip tied to my firewall... I guess i need to pull my intake to even SEE my exhaust manifold!