EGT Temps

SMPMASTERMIND

TDI
2005 Jetta TDI BEW
Wondering what would be considered too hot for EGT. I have my probe Pre Turbo in Manifold. For the most part it registers below 600F but obviously spikes with load. Running up to 24 PSI. Usually Flat Ground pulls stay at 800 to 1000F. Uphill though it sits as high as 1300F on a steep climb at 70 Mph and 15 PSI. Other Climbs around 1100F..
Signature states Car mods. Still running stock SMIC.

What is considered to hot and doing damage?

What can I do to lower this temp?

Last edited:

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Sounds decent if it’s accurate

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Water meth injection is a good way to lower egt's, larger exhaust (2.5in at least turbo back) better flowing intake (Pd150 or BRM intake) upgraded SMIC, no need for fmic, is a start for supporting mods.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Keep it under 1600F between the engine and turbo and you'll be fine.

Not sure what a stock ALH TDI will generate for max EGT's, but it'll be under 1600F

Normal driving around should see 400-800F with 1000F or so on hills or accelerating.
Found here:

Odd that Temps can be so hot, being as aluminum starts melting at 1221°f

SMPMASTERMIND

TDI
2005 Jetta TDI BEW
Water meth injection is a good way to lower egt's, larger exhaust (2.5in at least turbo back) better flowing intake (Pd150 or BRM intake) upgraded SMIC, no need for fmic, is a start for supporting mods.
Have you tried Water Meth Injection? Does it work well with VW's? Does anyone sell a kit? I would think maybe a little over kill for my set up.
I do have 2.5 inch Straight back from Turbo but haven't upgraded SMIC. Does the 1.8T Pancake Pipe upgrade help at all?

SMPMASTERMIND

TDI
2005 Jetta TDI BEW
Found here:

Odd that Temps can be so hot, being as aluminum starts melting at 1221°f
Thanks for the thread... I tried searching... didn't find.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
All good, searching the forums can be tricky at times. I find using Google is the best to search here.

I personally have never used water meth, but I have seen some guys on the forums here run some crazy numbers with it. It probably is over cool, but it's a sure fire way to cool down your EGT's. I don't know if anyone sells a kit. Could try ECS.

I've read mixed reviews about the 1.8t pancake pipe, the general consensus is that it's a worthy upgrade, but upgrading the upper charge air pipe is not worth it. You definitely can't go wrong with an upgraded smic.
https://www.idparts.com/upgraded-side-mount-intercooler-smic-alh-p-2442.html

You could try eBay, I had originally purchased mine from tunemyeuro.com, but I guess it's been discontinued since then. Shame, lots of MKIV parts are becoming harder to get.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
1300F seems rather high for stock BEW injectors with a vnt17 and straight exhaust.. maybe injection durations a bit long and/or timing not advanced enough with the tune... IMO there should be no need for water/meth complexity with the essentially stock hardware you have.. pd150 injectors with a retune would be better to get the same (and more) power with less EGT and better efficiency

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
Just chiming in since I was quoted above...

I wouldn't change a thing due to EGT's based on the info in the original post. Not that any of the suggestions that have been made are bad, however if you lower the EGT's by any amount (100F, 200F?), it isn't going to change anything. You won't make any more power, your engine/turbo won't live any longer, etc

Aluminum melts at 1200F, however the pistons and cylinder head are only exposed to those temperature for ~15% of the time, the rest of the time in the combustion process they're cooled by the engine cooling system. Just like running your hand over a 3600F flame doesn't burn you instantly - same idea here.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Just chiming in since I was quoted above...

I wouldn't change a thing due to EGT's based on the info in the original post. Not that any of the suggestions that have been made are bad, however if you lower the EGT's by any amount (100F, 200F?), it isn't going to change anything. You won't make any more power, your engine/turbo won't live any longer, etc

Aluminum melts at 1200F, however the pistons and cylinder head are only exposed to those temperature for ~15% of the time, the rest of the time in the combustion process they're cooled by the engine cooling system. Just like running your hand over a 3600F flame doesn't burn you instantly - same idea here.
Just chiming on also. EGTs are Not the temps that the piston sees. It's the temp that the valves and more so the turbo sees (kinda). There is still some combustion happening as the exhaust leaves and when its wot there is still a little bit happening in the turbo as well. This is why ots all about the temp handling ability of the exhaust turbine materials.
Our pistons are covered in soot ash. A very very good insulator, Oil coold from underneath.... and seeing plenty of "cool" air after.
There is nothing to cool the turbo other than backing off.
Usually sustained is right at or slightly under 1500. With short bursts in the 1600 range if your brave!
Anytjing under 1400 might as well be 900 as it makes no difference at all to the engine.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Also keep in mind, these numbers are unique to these engines. I would never dream of going above 1100°f on my old school idi, I'd start melting them pistons out!