EGT probe location?

Super T

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
My current EGT probe is a short unit that came with my Mcnally gauge. I don't want to cut it up to swap in the longer probe. But I know I'm getting poor readings with the short probe in the EGR outlet.

Would I get good readings if I tapped my O2 plug for the EGT probe? I have an ALH so obviously I have no O2 sensor. What size tap would I need? I'll try to look it up but if anyone knows off hand that would be nice.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
To be of any use diagnostically the EGT probe needs to be pre-turbo... dunno where the O2 sensor bung you're referring to is, but I betcha it's post-turbo. :D

Pre-turbo means you'll need to either:

(a) pull the turbo/manifold and drill/tap a hole

or

(b) get a longer K-type ungrounded thermocouple for your existing EGR delete plate

mycruiseagent

Vendor
TDI
Jetta GL, 2002, Galactic Blue - R.I.P.
Chris, if he has a newer McNally gauge it won't work with my probe. Their newer design requires an ungrounded junction probe.

Mark

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

ksmitty244

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
I installed mine pre turbo in the exhaust manifold. Its tricky but if you have a angle drill you can get it from underneath the car. I had mine in the block off plate for awhile but didn't get a good reading. Prb was too short. In the exhaust manifold is your best reading