EGT probe and blocking plate

Status
Not open for further replies.

shizzler

Veteran Member
TDI
05 BEW Wagon
Without going out to look at my engine, I might not have any idea what I'm talking about, but what about this idea: Instead of a block off plate, a through-bored flange with enough thickness to bring a probe in at an angle from the side, in order to capture the EGT temperature at the same location without blocking off / removing the EGR?
I'm guessing theres not enough flex in the EGR pipe to pull it out from the exhaust manifold far enough to get a flange of sufficient thickness to get the proper probe angle. What kind of bend can these probes tolerate? I know here at work (dyno lab) we bend ours a full 90 degrees sometimes, but then they are much more prone to failure...

Basically I like your product but want to keep my EGR intact.

mycruiseagent

Vendor
TDI
Jetta GL, 2002, Galactic Blue - R.I.P.
shizzler said:
Without going out to look at my engine, I might not have any idea what I'm talking about, but what about this idea: Instead of a block off plate, a through-bored flange with enough thickness to bring a probe in at an angle from the side, in order to capture the EGT temperature at the same location without blocking off / removing the EGR?
I'm guessing theres not enough flex in the EGR pipe to pull it out from the exhaust manifold far enough to get a flange of sufficient thickness to get the proper probe angle. What kind of bend can these probes tolerate? I know here at work (dyno lab) we bend ours a full 90 degrees sometimes, but then they are much more prone to failure...

Basically I like your product but want to keep my EGR intact.
The probe can handle a bend radius of 3x the diameter (they are 3/16" diam.) with no problems (2.5x is possible but is pushing it). So 90° is no problem - but you have to keep the bend radius up to where you are not shorting the TC wires in the sheath out. The sheath is packed full of MgO powder as an insulator which can displace if you are too aggressive in bending. Depending on how thick you make your flange and the angle that you use for your TC probe side entry it could work well.

Mark

mycruiseagent

Vendor
TDI
Not unless New South changed their gauge to work with the sensors that just about everyone else on the planet uses (type K thermocouples).

Mark

DieselDrink

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI 1.9L
I'll post a comment... ;) I"m going to buy one. :)

I'm going to hook up to an Autometer gauge (Phantom series - to go with my boost gauge).

Can you tell me which Autometer model # I'd buy as from their website??:
#5743 (Air-Core meter movement. Requires purchase of probe. Use model 5244 or other Type K probes in the Accessories Section)
or
#5744 (Notes: Air-Core meter movement. Includes Type K Thermocouple)

Also: I'm in Canada, and curious, would I want EGTs in metric degrees C? I assume maybe not.... as its easier to talk about your EGTs in F right? Like on my VNT15 what's the EGT I want to see? Not see? Should I stay in degrees F here? (Plus F has more units accuracy right)

mycruiseagent

Vendor
TDI
Still selling them - probably half of them to Canada!

Just an anecdotal update on durability (in other words YMMV) - the probe that is shown on the first page of this thread as the prototype just died on me after 3 years and about 40k miles. Not all of them have been quite that durable - but others that were sold just after I started selling them are still going strong as well.

FJ40Jim

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Golf GLS 5MT, '12 JSW DSG
My EGT probe died. 8^(

But I really want the EGT gage to work, so I just ordered another one.

Last edited:

REDNECKDZL

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, 2015 Jetta, 1984 Wabbit TD, 1986 RX7 waiting on AHU swap
Mark, what are the symptoms of them dieing?

Mine has been acting weird the last couple tanks, not sure if it's a short or soemthing with the gauge

it seems to be reading lower then normal idling, and then acts as if it's shorted out, reads full egt sometimes

Nash_TDI

Veteran Member -TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI
Mine quite working a while ago. When I turn the car to accessory position the gauge jumps up then goes back to rest again.

Any ideas?

mycruiseagent

Vendor
TDI
REDNECKDZL said:
Mark, what are the symptoms of them dieing?

Mine has been acting weird the last couple tanks, not sure if it's a short or soemthing with the gauge

it seems to be reading lower then normal idling, and then acts as if it's shorted out, reads full egt sometimes
That sounds like a failure. It is how mine finally failed. Shows a reasonable temperature then jumps to full scale. What is happening is that the weld between the two dissimilar metal wires is fractured but still touching. When the wires are touching it gives an apparently good reading. When heat is applied the wires separate and you get an open circuit.

Mark

mycruiseagent

Vendor
TDI
Nash_TDI said:
Mine quite working a while ago. When I turn the car to accessory position the gauge jumps up then goes back to rest again.

Any ideas?
Not sure - that would depend on the function of the gauge.

Have you checked to see if you have continuity in the probe? If the wire or weld is broken it won't work and you will get some form of an open circuit reading on your gauge. Some digital ones will read "Open", "analog" ones will either pin the gauge high or low.

Mark

mycruiseagent

Vendor
TDI
FJ40Jim said:
My EGT probe died. 8^(

But I really want the EGT gage to work, so I just ordered another one.
Shipped out on the way to church tonight (Christmas Eve).

Thanks,
Mark

mycruiseagent

Vendor
TDI
borachris said:
Hi,

Could you give me a price shipped to the UK?

My Post code is TS23 1HN.

Thanks!
Hey Chris -

It's been a while since I shipped one to the UK - I've done Spain recently and that was a $15 additional charge.

Please PM me your full address and I can plug it into the postal service website to be sure about the UK add on.

Thanks,
Mark

borachris

Veteran Member
TDI
Bora ASZ 130PD, Corrado 150PD in production
mycruiseagent said:
Hey Chris -

It's been a while since I shipped one to the UK - I've done Spain recently and that was a $15 additional charge.

Please PM me your full address and I can plug it into the postal service website to be sure about the UK add on.

Thanks,
Mark
Cheers, PM on the way:D

REDNECKDZL

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, 2015 Jetta, 1984 Wabbit TD, 1986 RX7 waiting on AHU swap
Mark,

Are you still selling these, i'd like to get a new probe if i could

i see your website is still up and running, just would like confirmation, that they are still available

Last edited:

mycruiseagent

Vendor
TDI
Still selling probes - I ran out a couple weeks ago and the shop that builds them for me is a bit backed up (they make probes for several of the aerospace firms in CT) so I expect to see them in about 3 or 4 weeks.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.