EGT installed :) glowsport max tow egt review

1986.5supra_kid

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
EGT installed :) glowshift max tow egt review

Well since I have pp764 and a 1.5 stage tune the smoke has been heavy and 16lbs of boost. mpg has been in the 20's i dont see any fuel leaking so its got to be all that black smoke.

I couldnt afford a isspro and the auber instrument isnt a analog type of guage so i opted for a glowshift EGT
http://www.glowshiftdirect.com/MaxTow-1500-F-Pyrometer-Gauge.aspx

uses a 1/8th npt k probe and i drilled the manifold in the center as best i could between the turbo fasteners

installed the compression fitting

inserted the probe. i put it in far enough that i felt it would be in the stream on exhuast

Thoughts on the EGT kit.

It came with detailed instructions. 9ft of probe wire is plenty. i bet you could wire it to the trunk if you wanted haha. the fittings where pretty nice. the probe was nicely made. the wiring was 22 or 24 gauge for running and illuminating it. the motion of the gauge seems kinda slow when in operation. ex. i can be at 380* and mat the skinny pedal with a great black cloud and it will climb to 1250* then i drop to neutral and it will slowly come back down. it will come down faster if left in gear but i figured it would act more like the Tach or the Boost gauge

A/c on at idle 350*-440* depends on day or night
my normal granny mode driving is 500*-650*
my accelerating with traffic is 700*-900*
hammering down is 1200*-1450*
fuel economy sucks my fill up was 200 miles at half a tank. used 9 gallons

Hammer mod may need done.
i may see if the VDO egt works with the k probe. and compare.
overall i paid $55 for it and it does tell me that its making heat the response will need compared though

Last edited:

Layerz

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A4 2.5 TDI AKE
Looks good, I need to fit an EGT soon. Did you have the option of fitting on the EGR?

Also about to apply the exact same mods, what HP have you seen from them?

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Looks good, I need to fit an EGT soon. Did you have the option of fitting on the EGR?
No, the EGR is a separate chamber and won't be accurate due to reduced flow.

If you're in the 20-30 mpg range, just an IQ change won't help and you have a major problem somewhere. PP764's and a 1.5 tune were not a goo match, I am running PP520's and a stage 2/3 tune and while I can put out a lot of smoke if I whack it heavy, most of the time there is no smoke and I'm around 50 mpg on both cars.

Layerz

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A4 2.5 TDI AKE
No, the EGR is a separate chamber and won't be accurate due to reduced flow.

If you're in the 20-30 mpg range, just an IQ change won't help and you have a major problem somewhere. PP764's and a 1.5 tune were not a goo match, I am running PP520's and a stage 2/3 tune and while I can put out a lot of smoke if I whack it heavy, most of the time there is no smoke and I'm around 50 mpg on both cars.
Yea I feared that, I have a blanking plate and it would of been very easy to of put the gauge in here...but semi useless I guess.

Also HP question may be irrelevant as I have a VNT 15.

1986.5supra_kid

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
its the gt15 turbo. im sure i have the probe in the collector part of the manifold.

hp is unknown but it does move faster with the nozzles and chip.

major problems i guess mean holes in pistons? i sure dont smell diesel or see a fuel leak on the fuel system. i do drive with a heavy foot. but 20 mpg lol. ill drive the supra at that cost haha.
ill give the pump a good wack. see if it smokes less.

Caddy 16v

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 2000 Golf
Not a big deal as discussed many times over, the blades will slice though the shavings like a hot knive through butter!

1986.5supra_kid

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
lol i tried to do it while it was running but the dang motor just shakes to much. i just put a strong neo. magnet beside it and hoped for the best. plus its the gt15 so no big loss if im going to the 2052. today mpg seemed better. i guess the skinny pedal can really dump fuel in the city. i tried to be gentle today and got 150miles to a 1/4 tank. its about time for oil change so well see if i have more oil in it than normal lol.

CNGVW

Vendor , w/Business number
Bob Mann Auto, 111 High St, Pembroke MA 02359
TDI
Many TDI Jettas and a Beetle Race car run 2010 jetta tdi cup car build roadrace
The best way to dill some thing like this is how I do CNG injectors on intakes with out removing it. I stuff rags in the intake mouth and tail pipe. Then I use a blow gun tip I can turn to adjust air flow I stick it in the the intake or tail pipe. I drill the intake or ex system ( wear safety glasses ) all the chips will blow back at you. I have been doing it for over 10 years.
Bob Mann

1986.5supra_kid

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
pulled the probe out. its got a inch of black soot on the probe then gets shiny like there is no flow around it. i tried pulling the probe back an inch just to see if it changed. maybe the probe head soaks?

No change on the response but its a sold 3 second delay. nail the skinny pedal.cooooal then let off and the guage continues to climb. Ill look into a VDO guage or some sort of 52mm guage. i assume all k probes are equal.

Kevinski4

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
pulled the probe out. its got a inch of black soot on the probe then gets shiny like there is no flow around it. i tried pulling the probe back an inch just to see if it changed. maybe the probe head soaks?

No change on the response but its a sold 3 second delay. nail the skinny pedal.cooooal then let off and the guage continues to climb. Ill look into a VDO guage or some sort of 52mm guage. i assume all k probes are equal.
Nope. I had a very expensive inconel thermocouple in my Jetta and the gauge responded as fast as the tach. I accidentally broke it off at the fitting removing the turbo one time and I replaced it with a cheapo that I had laying around. The gauge sort of went up with the pedal but the response was very delayed and peak EGT was about 200F lower, whenever I held it to the floor long enough for that gauge to actually start moving.

Regardless, you are way overfueled for that itty bitty turbo. Needs more air and your smoke will go away and fuel economy will come back.

1986.5supra_kid

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
well that was money wasted. im back to the drawning board. mcnally egt is the next on the list. i think thats the name of it.

the isspro cannot be dissassembled. like to change back light if i was to put it in a mk4 in the future. or the supra.

i like to be able to reuse parts. the auber tech is nice but i have a pod id like to use.

Ganoid

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta 5sp
For future reference I pulled the egt pipe off the exhaust manifold and stuck a shop vac into the hole so when I drilled all the shavings would be pulled into the vac. The new south egt gauge works well and is a perfect match for the stock gauges. Hows your intake manifold look? if its clogged up it'll have an affect on airflow into the motor which will affect smoke and egt. make sure your intercooler is clean as well since that can get clogged up with bugs and dirt reducing cooling efficiency.

You may also want to go over the injection timing thread as well. When I was pp764 and vnt15 I was up around 5-6 on my IQ. Even a change via adaptation will show a significant change. Once you figure out where you like it adapt it back to stock then hammer mod to the same level.

Last edited:

1986.5supra_kid

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
For future reference I pulled the egt pipe off the exhaust manifold and stuck a shop vac into the hole so when I drilled all the shavings would be pulled into the vac. The new south egt gauge works well and is a perfect match for the stock gauges. Hows your intake manifold look? if its clogged up it'll have an affect on airflow into the motor which will affect smoke and egt. make sure your intercooler is clean as well since that can get clogged up with bugs and dirt reducing cooling efficiency.

You may also want to go over the injection timing thread as well. When I was pp764 and vnt15 I was up around 5-6 on my IQ. Even a change via adaptation will show a significant change. Once you figure out where you like it adapt it back to stock then hammer mod to the same level.

intake manifold has never came off before. egr delete was 20k miles ago so i beleive there is some dirty mysteries hiding inside. i now have room to access it within a day so maybe ill tackle this soon. the fire method sounds like a plan, ill cut off the egr all together and add a 2'' dia alum pipe to it for replacing what is cut off.

oven cleaner another good method of cleaning the intake or maybe have a shop hot tank it?