EGR Valve Problem

sydneycb

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline
I have a 2011 TDI with just under 155,000Km on it. A couple of codes showed up on the weekend. Brought it to the dealer to scan and they tell me the EGR valve is bad and it will cost $1600 to replace.
Is this a common problem with these cars and is that the going price?
Is it possible to just clean the valve? If so, do you have to remove the valve to clean?
Thanks

beam_panhard_tdi_2013

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI 6MT Premium
There are 2 EGRs (high pressure & low pressure) for 2011+ tdi jetta. Knowing (e.g. ask dealer) which EGR(s) are having problem would help.

Below is a link showing the EGR locations:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=383774

I had EGR insufficient flow issues before --- especially short trips in winter. I tried driving highway for about 20mi and the problem went away. But I don't know if your EGR issue is the same. Do you have the detailed codes? If it's just clogged, cleaning it up should help and driving it hard for some long trip would be one option without taking EGR out...

Last edited:

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Post the actual codes. Without the codes, you are just saying there is something wrong with my car, but I have no clue what it is. If you get it scanned, don't use a generic scanner like AutoZone has, get the codes from a dealer or someone that has VCDS.

Don't trust the dealer. Quit often, what they will do is just take what ever parts that are named in a code and change out those parts instead of actually diagnosing why the ECU set the code.

A guy that posted here went to the dealer for problems with his electro-mecanical steering. They scanned his car and concluded he needed to replace his steering rack at a cost of $2500. Turns out his problem was a ground that worked loose.

Almost forgot, if you are outside of warranty don't go to the dealer. They are always the most expensive option and may not fix your car right.

sydneycb

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm not sure of the exact codes but the service rep did mention that it was the one on the block. I presume this is the high pressure EGR. I will contact the dealer today to find out the exact codes.
As for warranty, I still am covered by my extended warranty but they will not cover it as it is an emission component and all emission components are excluded. Funny thing is, when I purchased the warranty, at a cost of $3000, I was told it covered all mechanical break downs.
The service rep told me he called VW Canada and they are willing to pay $300 towards the repair. I figure that is approx. the cost of the part.
Is this something that one could replace themselves? How difficult a job would this be? Is there any "How to" videos posted anywhere?
Thanks again.

Update; The codes that are showing; PO486, PO45E and PO45F.
They are also replacing the intake manifold and the exhaust flap. The exhaust flap is being covered by VW and the intake manifold is under my extended warranty.

Last edited:

sydneycb

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline
Nobody else is having any problems with the EGR valve? A quick search on-line reveals that it is a common problem that has plagued VW since the redesign of this engine.