EGR flex pipe (metal) to EGR cooler CRACKED OPEN

Joeviocoe

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 VW Jetta TDI (Mk4) 1.9L ALH 5spd [VNT-17/22 Turbo, RC4, PP520 Nozzles]
Does any body have a good used pipe they can send me, or a link to an affordable new part? I need gaskets too.

I have fabricated plates blocking it off right now, but I am getting very weak, to no boost. I don't really want to permanently block off the EGR right now.

Thanks

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
If your block off plates worked, you would still get good boost. This assumes there is nothing else amiss, such as a compromised vacuum line to the actuator, or vacuum leaks elsewhere that makes it difficult for the ECU to command more boost. Another culprit might be a MAF that is dying.

Used pipes can be found sometimes in our own for sale parts list, or on vwvortex's classifieds. New parts can be had from some vendors on the site, or <*gasp!*> from a VW dealer parts department.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
If you have Euro 110 RC2 as your signature says, then your EGR is already shut off. No duty cycle on Euro tunes, I believe. I know mine doesn't have one. EGR pipes all come from the dealer AFAIK, and if you want to spend less an EGR delete would be more economical.

Joeviocoe

Veteran Member
TDI
The fabricated plates worked great as soon as I put them on, then, after 100 or so miles on the highway I got low boost, so maybe the plates aren't holding well.
Most vacuum line were just replaced yesterday too.

Probably because the plates are just 1/4 steel bolted on without any gaskets. Good enough to get me home, but I only get good turbo intermittently. Half the time, I get either very little boost, or none at all. No MIL, although I haven't put a VAGCOM on yet.

Last edited:

Joeviocoe

Veteran Member
TDI
Also, what must I check to ensure that vibration won't help destroy the next pipe? Is there a specific mount or set of bolts to look for? Might I be missing something?

Last edited:

Joeviocoe

Veteran Member
TDI
If you have Euro 110 RC2 as your signature says, then your EGR is already shut off. No duty cycle on Euro tunes, I believe. I know mine doesn't have one. EGR pipes all come from the dealer AFAIK, and if you want to spend less an EGR delete would be more economical.
The parts may be cheaper for a full EGR delete, but the labor is not worth my time right now. So getting it back to where it was before the pipe busted will be fine... And the part is easy to install.
What would the benefit of doing a full EGR delete if right now, my tune has 0% EGR duty cycle??

GTDI4

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2002, Black
I remove and block off ends with plates I got from dieselgeek about 10 yrs ago after my first intake cleaning. I just installed a new turbo ,the intake was just as clean :) as it was back than at 42,000 miles the car is at 164,000 now.
It should be as cheap if not cheaper to just buy the two block off plates, And not have to worry about intake cleanings.
Also it did not throw a code.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Big benefit is cost. The lower EGR cooler pipe is $170 on our site. We're usually less than dealer retail, but not a huge amount less. You may be able to do better. The EGR delete kit is $39.95, plus two block-off plates (you could get away with one) for $18.95. Lots less money. Or you could leave the cooler in place, let coolant run through it (harmless) and just put on a block off plate. Done.

Joeviocoe

Veteran Member
TDI
Okay thanks, I think I want to buy one block off plate from idparts. Also, since I am getting a used flex pipe sent too, I want to get gaskets too. That way I'm back to stock (except for the software EGR delete) and I will have the plate too to block it off if I get stuck away from home again.

Do you have the idparts part numbers for the block plate, and both gaskets for the flex pipe? Thanks.

Do I need to check anything regarding the cooler mounting to make sure the pipe doesn't break again?

Wayne64SS

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Just make sure the bolts holding the cooler to the intake are tight. They are small allen heads, i think 5mm. other than that this just sometimes happens.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
unless your egr cooler has one of its 3 mounting tabs broken off. then you will need a replacement egr cooler as well because it will continue to crack th epiping if the cooler is allowed to move any.

you also wont want to tighten down the egr cooler mounting bolts all the way until after you get the flex pipes all hooked up and tightened down. this allows the best chance of having little to no extra force permanently inside the piping if the cooler is at rest when tightened down.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
The EGR gaskets (metal) and blockoff plates (no part number) are on the site. If you have trouble finding them give us a call. I prefer not to post product links in threads. Thanks.

Joeviocoe

Veteran Member
TDI
It turned out that the 3 bolts were never put back after I had the head rebuilt (timing belt detonated). This cracked the pipe again after less than a month.

I installed block off plates, a factory block off plate from idparts bolted directly onto the exhuast manifold... deleted the EGR cooler... and the other (fabricated and grinded in an rush with cheap steel) block off plate on the underside of the EGR valve.
I have a Rocketchip 3... so I beleive my ECU does not ever run the EGR system. I have no Check Engine Lights.

I still have intermittent loss of turbo boost.
Vac lines are new, VNT actuator feels like it moves under mityvac a good 1/2 - 3/4 inches. N75 cycles under the VAGCOM tests. I've replaced the VNT actuator and MAF sensors a few years back. I have gone into limp mode a couple of times before installing the block off plates, but I have low power about 70% of the time. And had Fault code of 00575 Manifolt pressure difference, intermittent.

Could it be that the EGR is not ECU deleted, and when the EGR valve opens, my cheap fabricated block off plate is causing problems with low power/boost??

Joeviocoe

Veteran Member
TDI
[solved]

https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0By4b2-v971MwNHpEY2VSd29mOVk/edit

UUUUGGGGGHHHH!!!

The Bolts strike again.

The reason for my intermittent loss of boost... was because a bolt fell into my Turbo!
It got caught behind the actuator linkage. It moves around plenty as you can see from the pictures... which is why I got boost, sometimes.

Removed the bolt, now the actuator goes ALL the way down to the stopper screw. I get full boost now baby... wow, this Rocketchip is fast!

Does anybody recognize this bolt in the last phono??