Egr delete

Leegt5

TDI
Transporter t4
Can you just block the outlet. And what problems can occur.

Last edited:

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
Welcome to TDIClub!

The simplest way to "delete" the EGR is to pull off the vacuum line, plug it, and tuck it away amongst the other mess of tubes at the firewall. Boom. No EGR function, but the CEL will likely come on in short order. Took mine a couple days.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
What he ^^^^^^^ said as well as reduce the cycling using VCDS. I get a CEL about two or three times per year!

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
Interesting, Andy! I was under the impression one had to "tune out" the EGR code or just put up with the CEL.
I've also read that a lucky few cars don't ever send a CEL when simply unplugged.
Both my cars have the "Dynamic EGR" tweak, but I continue to run unplugged in my '03. Just hate the whole idea of EGR.
It just doesn't get that cold here, either. I wonder if turning down the duty cycle would have any weird effect on my dynamic tweak.
Would be nice not seeing that CEL!

Last edited:

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
STDOUBT, I have both the hose "unplugged" and the tweaked Dynamic EGR mod. That's what I should have said to be more clear.
My engine has been showing a CEL that seems to turn itself off for a few days then it will come back on. I'll scan tomorrow to see
and if it is related to the EGR, I'll post results.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
What car is it? Different cars have different ways of deleting the egr.