EGR delete

rocky raccoon

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
New here with a freshly acquired 2014 Jetta TDI (Mk 6?). I installed an EGR delete kit on my old Mercedes OM617 Diesel and would like to do the same on my VW. Are they available and if so, what is a good source?

Thanks. Looking forward to lively interaction with you guys.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Totally different animal, not nearly as simple. Your old 5 cyl's EGR port was clogged shut typically after ~25k miles anyway.

What are you after here? There are a LOT more things going on with the CJAA engine in your TDI. It has TWO completely independent EGR systems, and they are more than just the two EGR valves. There is also a DPF, three different catalysts, two differential pressure sensors, several temp and lambda sensors, two throttle flaps, a twin path intake, etc.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
New here with a freshly acquired 2014 Jetta TDI (Mk 6?). I installed an EGR delete kit on my old Mercedes OM617 Diesel and would like to do the same on my VW. Are they available and if so, what is a good source?
Simple advice here: Don't do it. Leave well enough alone.

rocky raccoon

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
O.K. I did it to Old Smoky mainly to keep my intake unclogged after cleaning it. If you are telling me I will have no such problems with the TDI, I appreciate your advice and will leave it unmolested.

The main reason I bought this car in the first place was to simplify my maintenance.

Thank You.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Not saying you won't have any problems, but you won't have that problem.

Did it have the VW dieselgate emission fix done, and is it under the extended warranty from that fix?

rocky raccoon

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
Yes it had the recall completed. I didn't know about a warranty. Is there a source where I can enter my VIN and check?

edit: Never mind. The car has over 80k miles.

Last edited:

oilhammer

TDI
Mileage for the Dieselgat fix warranty starts when the fix was performed, no matter the mileage at the time.

So if your car had 300k miles on it, and the fix was done, it has the warranty starting at 300k.

rocky raccoon

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
Thanks a bunch Red.

Hammer it seems the warranty starts from original in-service date, not when the fix was installed. Very generous nonetheless; ten years/120000 miles. So, I have 4 years/40000 miles to go. Happy Dance.

oilhammer

TDI
Thanks a bunch Red.
Hammer it seems the warranty starts from original in-service date, not when the fix was installed. Very generous nonetheless; ten years/120000 miles. So, I have 4 years/40000 miles to go. Happy Dance.
Um, no, you are incorrect. The extended emissions warranty most certainly starts when the fix was completed.

Copied and pasted from their website:

In addition, and concurrently, the Extended Emissions Warranty runs for 4 years and 3 months or 51,000 miles (whichever occurs first) from the date of modification or first dealer resale post-modification. Your vehicle was modified on Aug 15, 2019 and 47,834 miles. Please see your VW dealership for additional information on the vehicle's post-modification dealer re-sale date.

I just randomly put one of VINs from a customer's car. Notice the mileage. Now watch this one:

In addition, and concurrently, the Extended Emissions Warranty runs for 4 years 6 months or 54,000 miles (whichever occurs first) from the date of modification or first dealer resale post-modification. Your vehicle was modified on Dec 11, 2018 and 376,701 miles. Please see your VW dealership for additional information on the vehicle's post-modification dealer re-sale date.

Both of the above samples are still under this warranty, and the one with 376k on it at the time of the fix recently got a brand new intake manifold under this warranty, and at the time had over 400k miles on the clock.

:)

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
There are two parts to the warranty. One goes from the first in service date (sale) of the vehicle. The other runs from the time the modification was done. You get the warranty of the longer of the two.

oilhammer

TDI
There are two parts to the warranty. One goes from the first in service date (sale) of the vehicle. The other runs from the time the modification was done. You get the warranty of the longer of the two.
Correct, and since the "newest" TDI is now five years old, not many will fall under the original in service date, so it is a moot point.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Not for those who fall under it. The full warranty conditions should be told just in case they are covered. You may be causing people to not get covered when they could be by doing that. Let them decide what bracket they fall under.

oilhammer

TDI
Heh, I'm not the one deciding anything, I don't represent VoA nor do I work at any dealer. I have no use of any warranties (never did, I void all mine typically within a day or so of buying my car). And if I DID have one of these cars with the extra warranty, I STILL wouldn't be taking it in there for them to touch.

But I realize that for some folks, that is simply not a feasible option. And in some cases, for reasons I will never understand, some people weigh the warranty as an often great or even singular reason to buy one of these cars in the first place. :eek:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
But you are the one telling someone else only half of what is the whole picture. Most people should read and know the warranty "before" buying the car. It has two parts. One from the date of sale and one from the last fix done. Some value the warranty and others don't. Some dealers do good jobs and some don't. Most of us aren't professional mechanics or have other limitations that stop us from doing everything we want.

I sold my 2003 Beetle for this 2015 due to my trusted mechanic moving away. No other knowledgeable mechanic around that I know of that is good with these cars. Buying the 2015 Beetle gave me freedom from that. The original in service date works for me right now for some time. 2015 and 40k miles so far. I also carry GEICO's MBI (mechanical Breakdown Insurance) on it. I am waiting for Part 2B of the service for another extension of the emissions warranty later in the life of the car.

rocky raccoon

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
Troopers;

Using this link: https://www.vwdieselinfo.com/ provided by redbarron55, I looked up the warranty for my specific car by VIN. It showed precisely what I said in Post 11. The 10 year, 12k mile warranty is timed from the in-service date, at least on my car.

Maybe you are both right. Not important anyway. My question was answered to my satisfaction.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
You didn't check it all that well then as you missed the part about extending the warranty after the fixes are completed. Don't short yourself if you value the warranty. You could be missing out on a large chunk of it. Here is the particulars for the 2015 cars. The earlier ones were similar with different time and mileage specs. From the document itself:

"Warranty Period
The warranty period for the “Extended Emissions Warranty” limited warranty extension shall be the greater of:
 11 years or 162,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle’s original in-service date; OR
 5 years or 60,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the date and mileage of Phase 1 of the emissions modification. At the time of the subsequent Phase 2 modification, the extended warranty will be honored for 5 years or 60,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the date and mileage of the completion of Phase 2.

The vehicle’s original in-service date is defined as the date the vehicle was delivered to either the original purchaser or the original lessee; or if the vehicle was first placed in service as a “demonstrator” or “company” car, on the date such vehicle was first placed in service."

Last edited:

oilhammer

TDI
And since the OP does not have a 2015, some of those things do not apply. The 2015s have a slightly different emissions control system, and have a slightly different fix.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
And since the OP does not have a 2015, some of those things do not apply. The 2015s have a slightly different emissions control system, and have a slightly different fix.
Right. but like I said very very similar. Here it is for the 2009-2014 cars.

"Warranty Period
The warranty period for the “Extended Emissions Warranty” limited
warranty extension shall be the greater of:
 10 years or 120,000 miles, whichever occurs first from
the vehicle’s original in-service date; OR
 4 years or 48,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the
date and mileage of the emissions modification.

The vehicle’s original in-service date is defined as the date the vehicle
was delivered to either the original purchaser or the original lessee; or
if the vehicle was first placed in service as a “demonstrator” or
“company” car, on the date such vehicle was first placed in service."

There are still two parts of the warranty and the terms are just slightly different. But basically the same thing applies to all the cars. An in service warranty of some duration and an after fix warranty of some duration, whichever is longer of the two.

johnsTDI

Veteran Member
Canada,ont North America were Neighbours to usa
TDI
2012 Highline
Simple advice here: Don't do it. Leave well enough alone.
I agree VW has an extended warranty on DPF, EGR, & many more emmisions related on the tdi as long as you still have an extended warranty on it i would let VW handle it for the time being. also often times its people's own fault that damage DPF's like using the wrong Spec Oil or using additives in the oil not made to use on DPF equiped vehicles that do damage. on these cars You Only use correct spec oil, in my tdi its any Euro synthetic spec oil meeting 507.00 spec. and being German they liked to be spanked on the Highway every so often. lol

Alitak

TDI
2015 Golf SEL TDI x2; 2014 VW Jetta Wagon TDI

EGR delete on a diesel is the smartest thing you can do WITH a good tune. Better yet lose the DPF as well. I don't have any beef with a good performing Cat but the non serviceable DPF and EGR's in general are terrible ideas. Malone tuning does a FANTASTIC tune on TDI's if you want to delete these. I personally own 2 2015 Golf TDI SEL's and 1 Jetta Wagon TDI and all 3 have the full delete with Malone tuning's stage 2 tune. Zero issues with it other than some clutch slip when I hammer on it at high rpm. Best of all the spongy "gas" pedal is instant response now. You probably don't even notice that now but man, when you delete the EGR, DPF, etc, and all that bad tuning off the vehicle it spins up like a high performance outboard on a ski boat. Stock these vehicles have pathetic tuning for what that engine can do, it's painful for me to drive a stock tdi now, there is a profound delay between hitting the "gas" and for the vehicle to respond. Pepped up with a simple tune and EGR/DPF delete these engines can out race a LOT of vehicles.

The EGR is bad because it soots up everything in the intake. It should be called the heart disease valve because that is exactly what it does to your intake until the engine won't run properly at all. It's bad for the turbo too with all that soot flying through the engine.

The DPF is bad because now you have to run this crappy oil that has a lot less zinc and other goodies that are found in high quality oils. Basically you have to sacrifice engine longevity running a crappy oil to protect the DPF from zinc and other additive accumulation that would clog it since that will not burn off in a regen. Furthermore, the DPF also makes the car squirt raw diesel in the exhaust cycle. This wastes diesel, it deglazes the cylinder walls of oil, and it ends up in the oil pan diluting the inferior 507/504 oil you have to run with an intact DPF. Semi's can be found with serviceable DPF's that can easily be removed for periodic cleaning like any other serviceable filter. This is what VW should have done but instead they put a non serviceable one in the most horrific, tight, and pain in the rear spot you could possibly sandwich this thing into.

Does this void your warranty taking this stuff off? Hell yes. However, from my experience VW is the absolute worst company on the planet for honoring their warranty. I bought a 99.5 TDI Jetta that had the glow plug relay go out with 4k miles on the engine, under 2 years old. I bought that car brand new with a 10/100k drivetrain warranty and they would not pay for nor discount the $900 repair to replace the defective glow plug relay because it was a "consumable item, like spark plugs." That is verbatim what 3 dealerships in 3 different cities and the corporate office told me. I swore I wouldn't own another vw again after that, sold the car, and spoke ill of vw's for 15 years after that .. only rejoining tdi ownership after I learned a lot of skills fixing just about anything on my own cars. I'd rather have a car that has not been "abused" by inferior motor oil, diesel accumulation in the inferior motor oil, a heavily clogged intake system that creates a LOT of unnecessary back pressure on the piston rings, and possibly damage to the turbo from loose soot from the EGR breaking off and hitting the blades at high rpms. When I did the delete my cars all rolled coal the first couple times I hit the pedal for about 20 seconds until it blew out. After that initial blow out of whatever it was though none of these cars emit visible smoke at all at idle or while driving during warm temps. I haven't had these through a winter yet so not sure about cold starts.

Per the rules we have to say this so adding this below:

• These modifications are a violation of federal emissions regulations
  • Neither TDIClub nor any person taking action or inaction on its behalf, other than the content poster, will be held accountable for the content in said messages
  • It is up to each individual vehicle owner or operator to take responsibility for his/her actions

FifeDog

TDI
MK6 Golf TDI 2DR
EGR delete on a diesel is the smartest thing you can do WITH a good tune. Better yet lose the DPF as well. I don't have any beef with a good performing Cat but the non serviceable DPF and EGR's in general are terrible ideas. Malone tuning does a FANTASTIC tune on TDI's if you want to delete these. I personally own 2 2015 Golf TDI SEL's and 1 Jetta Wagon TDI and all 3 have the full delete with Malone tuning's stage 2 tune. Zero issues with it other than some clutch slip when I hammer on it at high rpm. Best of all the spongy "gas" pedal is instant response now. You probably don't even notice that now but man, when you delete the EGR, DPF, etc, and all that bad tuning off the vehicle it spins up like a high performance outboard on a ski boat. Stock these vehicles have pathetic tuning for what that engine can do, it's painful for me to drive a stock tdi now, there is a profound delay between hitting the "gas" and for the vehicle to respond. Pepped up with a simple tune and EGR/DPF delete these engines can out race a LOT of vehicles.

The EGR is bad because it soots up everything in the intake. It should be called the heart disease valve because that is exactly what it does to your intake until the engine won't run properly at all. It's bad for the turbo too with all that soot flying through the engine.

The DPF is bad because now you have to run this crappy oil that has a lot less zinc and other goodies that are found in high quality oils. Basically you have to sacrifice engine longevity running a crappy oil to protect the DPF from zinc and other additive accumulation that would clog it since that will not burn off in a regen. Furthermore, the DPF also makes the car squirt raw diesel in the exhaust cycle. This wastes diesel, it deglazes the cylinder walls of oil, and it ends up in the oil pan diluting the inferior 507/504 oil you have to run with an intact DPF. Semi's can be found with serviceable DPF's that can easily be removed for periodic cleaning like any other serviceable filter. This is what VW should have done but instead they put a non serviceable one in the most horrific, tight, and pain in the rear spot you could possibly sandwich this thing into.

Does this void your warranty taking this stuff off? Hell yes. However, from my experience VW is the absolute worst company on the planet for honoring their warranty. I bought a 99.5 TDI Jetta that had the glow plug relay go out with 4k miles on the engine, under 2 years old. I bought that car brand new with a 10/100k drivetrain warranty and they would not pay for nor discount the $900 repair to replace the defective glow plug relay because it was a "consumable item, like spark plugs." That is verbatim what 3 dealerships in 3 different cities and the corporate office told me. I swore I wouldn't own another vw again after that, sold the car, and spoke ill of vw's for 15 years after that .. only rejoining tdi ownership after I learned a lot of skills fixing just about anything on my own cars. I'd rather have a car that has not been "abused" by inferior motor oil, diesel accumulation in the inferior motor oil, a heavily clogged intake system that creates a LOT of unnecessary back pressure on the piston rings, and possibly damage to the turbo from loose soot from the EGR breaking off and hitting the blades at high rpms. When I did the delete my cars all rolled coal the first couple times I hit the pedal for about 20 seconds until it blew out. After that initial blow out of whatever it was though none of these cars emit visible smoke at all at idle or while driving during warm temps. I haven't had these through a winter yet so not sure about cold starts.

Per the rules we have to say this so adding this below:

• These modifications are a violation of federal emissions regulations
  • Neither TDIClub nor any person taking action or inaction on its behalf, other than the content poster, will be held accountable for the content in said messages
  • It is up to each individual vehicle owner or operator to take responsibility for his/her actions
Alitak,

I'm just about convinced to move forward with the EGR/DPF delete on my MK6 Golf TDI (105k). I like the Rawtek/Malone combo for Stage 1. Not sure if you're familiar. I have a CEL for both EGR and DPF right now, but am still under VW emissions warranty till 120k.

Your comment about good vs. bad oil has me wondering if the oil that added by the Ford dealer I bought it from was not even close to the spec for this car. I checked it the other day and noticed how dark it was for being 2k miles old. Maybe that's normal for diesel? Either way, I had the dealer VW change it last week. However, all my EGR/DPF codes for my CEL are from that oil.

Thoughts?