EGR Delete

Rosstdi2001

TDI
2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI
Looking to get an egr delete for a 2001 jetta alh engine and was wondering the difference between an automatic transmission delete kit and a manual transmission delete kit. Want to delete both the cooler and valve. Any help is much appreciated as they claim the two kits are different. Thanks in advance!

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
I'm pretty sure it's just a different EGR cooler bypass hose.
I was able to bypass the cooler without the special hose in my '02 auto.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Have you considered leaving it in place? Dynamic tunes make good use of the extra heat to get the engine up to temp, improving fuel economy, longevity, and of course helping with cabin heat.

Rosstdi2001

TDI
Thanks flee. That's the only difference I can see and I just couldn't grasp spending $40 extra for just the hose when I could easily make one for $4 lol! Oil hammer, Just bought the car for $1000 running and driving and all it needed was a vacuum pump. The egr solenoid has a broken nipple and the nipple is also broken off the intake flap actuator and just figured I'd rather delete it mainly for performance upgrades in the future. Just kinda a project car for me to play with and spare vehicle.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
The thing is, though... without spending some money on a tune you are going to have a permanent Check Engine Light when you physically delete the EGR.

So, if you're gonna buy a tune you could spend the same money on a tune that deletes it electronically (the Dynamic EGR), yet maintains the advantages of leaving it in place in terms of faster winter warmups. Best of both worlds.

Your car, your rules, of course. :)

Rosstdi2001

TDI
Thanks Vince. Definitely some things to take into consideration here. I do appreciate all of y'alls quick responses! I'm new to the tdi world and just thought I would also get some opinions as well as facts here! I have been a diesel mechanic in my earlier ages for about 11 years, Mostly Cummins, Powerstroke, Duramax and medium duty. These engines are a slightly different animal and could use the knowledge! Thank you all again!

Last edited:

mrfiat

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (Reflex Silver) , 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon (Black)
Do you always get a check engine light when you delete the EGR? I deleted the EGR on my wagon and have yet to throw a CEL.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Your engine already has a tune then. Or the MIL is dead. The EGR flow is VERY MUCH monitored by the ECU and will absolutely set a DTC.

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
Do you always get a check engine light when you delete the EGR? I deleted the EGR on my wagon and have yet to throw a CEL.
Or, particularly on the 99.5, they sometimes didn't throw a CEL after an EGR delete.
Maybe the 2003 wagon in your case, too. My 2002 definitely did, though.

Last edited:

mrfiat

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (Reflex Silver) , 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon (Black)
Is there any way to tell if the ECU has a tune? Not sure what a MIL is?

My other 2003 sedan threw CEL after just a few minutes of driving everytime after I deleted the EGR. I drove the 2003 wagon for a week and no CEL with the EGR deleted. (until the turbo blew itself in half!) Waiting for the new VNT17 in the mail.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Is there any way to tell if the ECU has a tune? Not sure what a MIL is?

My other 2003 sedan threw CEL after just a few minutes of driving everytime after I deleted the EGR. I drove the 2003 wagon for a week and no CEL with the EGR deleted. (until the turbo blew itself in half!) Waiting for the new VNT17 in the mail.
The 03 would definitely throw a code if it didn't have some sort of tune, unless someone found another way around it which is unlikely.
Haven't really thought about looking at the software and seeing if you were able to tell it was tuned. I would look it up a bit and likely see a difference in the egr coding from stock somehow.

Sent from my Armor_2 using Tapatalk

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Another reason to leave it on is in case there's ever a run away. Turning off the ignition switch closes the ASV, shutting off the air. I had replaced the leaking EGR valve on our '01 Golf with a race pipe and when I took it up to Jeff to get him to tune it out, he suggested replacing the EGR valve instead for that reason. Our car is an automatic that can't be stalled in the event of a run away. I now have a Whitbread race pipe on a shelf in the garage and if anyone is interested, make me an offer...