Egr cooling insufficient

Royal1

TDI
2014 Passat
I'm a first time poster, so hope I do it right. I'm stuck in St. Louis with my 2014 Passat tdi. Just before Kansas City I got a check engine light. I read it with van com. I believe their were two codes 9405 and 8215. Both relate to egr insufficient cooling. I also have no heat out of heater. Took it into the VW dealer in St Peters Mo. They diagnosed it needing heater core, oil cooler and egr cooler. $5995.00 repair cost. Does anyone know a reputable, honest tdi shop in the St. Louis area? I'm available at 801-599-0478

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
LMAO... Bommarito...

It'd be next month before I could get to it. You just need a heater core, and a good coolant system flush.

There's even a TSB about it...

oilhammer

TDI
Yep, got put out back with the rest of them I have not nearly enough time to get to...

1712233155187.jpeg

turbodieseldyke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 jetta
Maybe rerouting the coolant to go from the heater core to the egr cooler, instead of vice versa. I'm guessing someone would have done it already if it were feasible.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
A tune that takes the regen parameters back to what they were when the car was manufactured can help a lot. Keeps coolant temperatures down.

oilhammer

TDI
The NCS and NMS (and the 2012+ Beetle) all have heater core clogging problems, regardless of the engine. Even the gassers. It's just that the NMS, the CKRA in particular, seems to be the worst. But I've had two 2.5L Passats here recently with plugged up heater cores.

A "soft tune", which can simply dial back the EGR duty cycle would certainly help, but it seems like frequent coolant flushes are required, and often just an exchange of the coolant (which is relatively easy), is not enough. You need to manually reverse-flush with a garden hose some of the circuits. And the diesels, especially the ones with the air-to-water charge air cooling, have a lot of circuits. None are especially easy to get at. Also, the vent line assembly gets clogged up which causes steam pockets to develop and all sorts of other problems. The CVCA is really bad for that. That's why they blow the vent nipple off the end of the heater hose. Hot steam cuts right through that plastic once the flow of liquid is blocked off.

These things are also difficult to properly fill. Vacuum filler is almost a must, as well as manually running the intercooler pump and on the CVCA/CRUA, the EGR cooler pump. Then, if it is a DSG, the transmission has its own thermostat, so there can be a pocket of air trapped there, and until the ATF is hot enough to require cooling, will stay trapped.

d24tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
96 B4V
Whenever I wander in to do a little reading for fun in the CR discussion threads..... These are the kinds of stories that reassure me it still makes sense putting $ into keeping my 300k+ mile VE and PD era "fleet" on the road.

I'm often tempted when I see the newer ones out there, given how nice they are in terms of dynamics and creature comforts. There's a really clean 6-speed Mk6 Golf wagon with only 120k for sale near me in great shape. I can see enjoying driving it every day. But then you get a reminder like this that the level of complexity is on a whole different plane with the later cars. Impressive technology, but so many additional ways it can leave you on the side of the road or facing repairs to expensive parts that don't even exist on the old models. Intercooler pump, EGR cooler pump, to name just two things mentioned in this discussion that made me laugh... Stuff an owner of an ALH or PD has never even heard of.....

I realize this isn't a comment that adds anything to the OP's thread, just interesting to see what is going on in the community on these newer cars. Respect to those who are finding ways to keep these going, and I am sure more solutions will come out for them as they continue to age.

oilhammer

TDI
What sucks is, Volkswagen has obsoleted many of the parts for the older cars, so keeping them on the road and not looking/sounding/feeling the age that the are, with the mileage they've racked up, is becoming increasingly difficult.

Just today, found out the driver seat belt buckle on a 2003 NB is NLA.

If only someone would/could tool up and reproduce some of these items. Like the fragile glove boxes on the A4 cars. I just did an HVAC case in a 2005 Jetta, and five of the seven connecting points on its glovebox are broken, and broken beyond the "stick a washer under the screw" type of repair.

... at least the HVAC case was still available. For now.

I may have gotten the OP's cars' cooling system sufficiently flushed out, though. Got about a third cup of debris out of it, if I had to guess. Heat works, temps stay under control, no DTCs coming back.

oilhammer

TDI
I'd sure like to call this fixed, but I'm still waiting for two final readiness to be set... but driven it a couple hundred miles and so far it seems fine. Just flushed all the crud out of the cooling system. And manually disconnected and flushed the heater core directly at the firewall, twice.

d24tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
96 B4V
Folks with these cars are lucky you're able and willing to go the extra mile for them on jobs like this. 👍

In my area, it would be the dealer's way, or the highway.