EGR cooler delete on Auto?

02beater_auto

TDI
2002 Automatic ALH TDI
Hi,

I recently broke the EGR cooler bellows and I want to get rid of the cooler but it is an Automatic. I searched around and all of the remedies appear to be piecemealed together along with what to buy.

I don't mind spending money on the right kit or kits. I just don't want to deal with the EGR cooler again as it blocks the way to the intake manifold and makes work that much harder when I am in that area...especially pulling the turbo, etc.

I don't want to lose access to the ASV in case there is a runaway though.

Could someone please provide a clear path forward so that I can get this car running? I am prepared to deal with slower warmups. I am willing to live with the check engine light and/or pay to get it removed. I just don't want the cooler obstructing my way again or having the bellows break on me.

Trying to get everything ordered up from IDparts as soon as possible, but not sure if they have everything that I need to make this one and done.

Thanks.

Last edited:

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
There is a pipe found on euro cars that bypassed the EGR cooler, part #038131521J that goes from the exhaust mani to the EGR underside directly. Did it to both my Jettas, no regrets. EGR still functional (with Malone Dynamic EGR heh). Mine are manual though, not sure if there's a difference (doubt it) so caveat emptor. I got one of mine for like $35 from a private seller in my own state, and one for about the price listed here on ebay:

Then of course this:
YW!

Last edited: