EGR Cleaning Questions for ALH

amit9

Veteran Member
TDI
None...
The EGR in my 03 ALH has significant build up, so I am planning to remove and clean it soon.
Just want to confirm that these the parts that I need when I re-install it:
1 x EGR to Manifold O-ring (ALH) (Part N90521604) - O-Ring seal for the EGR to intake manifold connection.
1 x EGR System Gasket, Fibre Type (32mm) (Part 069131547D) - This gasket fits between flex pipe from the EGR cooler and EGR valve. I don't see it currently installed when I looked at the flex pipe-EGR valve joint? :confused:
Are there any tips for cleaning it? Any other steps to be done pre/post install?
Thanks.

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
If the EGR has significant buildup, there is even more in the intake manifold. No point in cleaning one and not the other. You will need a new intake manifold gasket as well since it is a crush type.

Simon

amit9

Veteran Member
TDI
None...
Car had been running in limp mode for a while now, not much power at all on inclines and overall. Finally got the EGR and Intake Manifold swapped out today. Car came alive after that and runs so much better.

This is what 10 years/180K kms of deposits looks like, there was barely any opening left to let any air in. I guess I've been driving too easy in the right lane for too long...time to move to the left lane and step on it a bit...;)

EGR:

Intake:

amit9

Veteran Member
TDI
None...
Follow up question on this - Any tips on keeping the deposits in the EGR and Intake to minimum accumulation levels? I really don't want to have to swap them again. I've seen youtube videos of TDI owners in the UK spraying Oven Cleaner in their EGR's and running their cars on idle to keep the airways clean 😲. Then there's a tdiclub member in Florida (josh8loop) who does "steam cleaning" by spraying water inside the boost host going into the EGR with the car running on idle. :confused:. Any thoughts/suggestions? Thanks.

03tdiwagon

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 vw jetta wagon TDI
The whole issue with the egr is the recirculating unburnt diesel fuel sticking and building up throughout the evap system/ exhaust system.
If you dont want egr issues either delete the egr. Then no more recirculation will occur OR hammer on the pedal once ever couple hundred km and push the turbo so it gets hot on the EGTs and hopefully burns anything off ....
If the egr and Manifold looked like that. Your valves and turbo will also have buildup. I took my turbo out and cleaned it at the same time as the egr and Manifold. .....lastly another way the soot builds up is if your turbo is starting to slowly fail and allowing oil to bypass and go into the turbo cooling system. The oil will actually coat the lining of the egr/ manifold/ intercooler piping etc. And this allows the unburnt diesel to stick to it.
Usually the intercooler ( under the passenger front bumper) on higher mileage cars especially ones looking like yours will have oil deposits in the bottom of it. Take it out and either drill a hole in the bottom then drain/ plug after and seal. or turn it upside down and flush it
....all the best.

amit9

Veteran Member
TDI
None...
The whole issue with the egr is the recirculating unburnt diesel fuel sticking and building up throughout the evap system/ exhaust system.
If you dont want egr issues either delete the egr. Then no more recirculation will occur OR hammer on the pedal once ever couple hundred km and push the turbo so it gets hot on the EGTs and hopefully burns anything off ....
If the egr and Manifold looked like that. Your valves and turbo will also have buildup. I took my turbo out and cleaned it at the same time as the egr and Manifold. .....lastly another way the soot builds up is if your turbo is starting to slowly fail and allowing oil to bypass and go into the turbo cooling system. The oil will actually coat the lining of the egr/ manifold/ intercooler piping etc. And this allows the unburnt diesel to stick to it.
Usually the intercooler ( under the passenger front bumper) on higher mileage cars especially ones looking like yours will have oil deposits in the bottom of it. Take it out and either drill a hole in the bottom then drain/ plug after and seal. or turn it upside down and flush it
....all the best.
Thanks for the details. Yes I had the shop take the oil out of the intercooler during the EGR and Intake swap. For now I'm driving on higher speeds as the "new normal", as well I do push it even more every now and then on the highway. I have been reading up on the "EGR adaptation" using VCDS to slow down the deposits. I'm leaning towards doing this, not going to the max 33768 value though.