Egr and catalytic converters delete

BuckeyeMan71

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta wagon
Hi all. I’m wanting to do a delete and haven’t found out how to do it. I have my own VCDS cable and would like to know how to do these 2 things. Thanks for all the help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mjez

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta
Not sure about egr but cat is easy, just remove it and replace with a straight pipe. Also, if you have vcds you could just reprogram it so it doesn't open anymore which I believe should act in the same way as if it was removed.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

BuckeyeMan71

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta wagon
Not sure about egr but cat is easy, just remove it and replace with a straight pipe. Also, if you have vcds you could just reprogram it so it doesn't open anymore which I believe should act in the same way as if it was removed.

Ok. Cool. I know they sell egr delete kits to be able to remove the egr all together

mjez

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta
Yeah, I know. I don't know what's the difference between removing it and stopping its function. One thing I can say is when I stopped it's function in my ALH the engine couldn't come up to operating temperature on a cool spring morning after 70+ mile drive. Not sure if that was the only cause. Maybe my thermostat was faulty, etc. Just saying

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Yeah, I know. I don't know what's the difference between removing it and stopping its function. One thing I can say is when I stopped it's function in my ALH the engine couldn't come up to operating temperature on a cool spring morning after 70+ mile drive. Not sure if that was the only cause. Maybe my thermostat was faulty, etc. Just saying

Can't really **** then if work VCDS you minimize the function.
Thermostat was absolutely the reason it doesn't come up to temp.

A race pipe and block of plates to remove the exhaust portion and a black water hose connector to remove the EGR cooler.
Try the TDI search and you'll find a how to for the off road modification
https://cse.google.com/cse?q=+&cx=018097697432185261444:_idbzjdyxdm

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
The 'best' solution for a TDI in Ohio would be a tune with 'Dynamic EGR' function. No
wrenching required and it retains the benefit of faster warm-up on winter mornings.
The cat doesn't sap any power at reasonable tune levels so keep it - maybe lose the
muffler.

BuckeyeMan71

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta wagon
The 'best' solution for a TDI in Ohio would be a tune with 'Dynamic EGR' function. No
wrenching required and it retains the benefit of faster warm-up on winter mornings.
The cat doesn't sap any power at reasonable tune levels so keep it - maybe lose the
muffler.

Ok. How do you do that?

ruSSrt

TDI
Hey guys. I got 05 (B5.5 PD) TDI I've already delete my EGR, but I kept my valve plugged in so car won't go in to limp mode. I opted out of getting the tune for now since I don't really mind CEL light. But I'm toying with idea of cutting out my catalytic. Car has 205xxx miles and it's daily driver and looks like it's original cat on it. Do you think it's time to get rid of it?

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Is it causing a problem ? If not leave it.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf

I almost guarantee you that your thermostat was bad. Took me a while to figure this out on one of my cars (it was overwhelmingly obvious once I put my ColorMFA on it).

As for deleting, you can go several ways. EGR block off plates on the intake and turbo, or if you want to give yourself more working room if you upgrade the turbo or etc, you can delete the EGR cooler as well, and use a 1" PEX male to male with clamps, to bridge the coolant hoses together. I did this on all my cars so it's not as cluttered. I also went a step further on my ALH and put in a racepipe, to delete the ASV. On my Golf, I use a darkside custom intake manifold, which simplifies the intake as much as possible (plus it's already cleaned out of nasty buildup).