EDC 17 platform engine in a EDC 16 platform vehicle.

martin33100

Veteran Member
TDI
VW T5 2.5
Has anyone managed to put an EDC 17 engine and running gear into a EDC16 vehicle and managed to get it to run correctly?.
The vehicle is a VW T5 2.5PD running EDC16 but the engine being used as a replacement will be an Audi 3.0tdi running EDC17.
I would have the complete Audi as a donar i.e. I would use the ECU and loom but would probably need to get the ABS and speed monitor on the T5 to communicate with the new ECU.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

B3n

TDI
Passat B7 2.0 CR TDI, B6 2.0 CR EA288
ABS and ECU can cause troubles. Check if it works without errors. If you can't fix the errors with coding or other tricks, you can maybe mount the Audi ABS. Dashboard rpm will be interesting.
Your T5 maybe does not have too much control modules. So maybe doable IMO.
I was doing a similar thing in the Passat B7. Its working for me.

martin33100

Veteran Member
TDI
VW T5 2.5
ABS and ECU can cause troubles. Check if it works without errors. If you can't fix the errors with coding or other tricks, you can maybe mount the Audi ABS. Dashboard rpm will be interesting.
Your T5 maybe does not have too much control modules. So maybe doable IMO.
I was doing a similar thing in the Passat B7. Its working for me.
It's the ECU and ABS communication that is worrying me but does the ECU only use speed recognition for gear based torque limiters, gear based maps, traction control etc?.
As the converter was going to be Quattro I was wondering if you could do away with the gear based torque limiters and traction control if you couldn't get the ECU and ABS to successfully communicate with each other.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
How exactly were you planning on mounting it? VAG doesn't do tranverse V engines, and the Transporters (at least the T4 that we DID get) angle the engines pretty far forward (inline or VR). Whereas the longitudinal mountings of the V engines are straight up and down. There isn't any off the shelf gearbox I would think you could use.

martin33100

Veteran Member
TDI
VW T5 2.5
How exactly were you planning on mounting it? VAG doesn't do tranverse V engines, and the Transporters (at least the T4 that we DID get) angle the engines pretty far forward (inline or VR). Whereas the longitudinal mountings of the V engines are straight up and down. There isn't any off the shelf gearbox I would think you could use.
I was going to mount the engine inline and use the complete Audi drive train.
It's already been done with a RS4 V8 with the Quattro running gear and the V6 isn't as deep so the V6 may even go in without modding the bulk head.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
OK, so then it would seem very little if any of the original T5's electronics would remain anyway. In essence, you are reskinning the Audi with the Transporter. So, I would hardly call your question as necessary as I would have thought. You are going to be removing most of the T5's innards anyway, why not just use (in addition to the engine/trans) the Audi's ABS, Cluster, etc., etc. ?

Not trying to be snarky here, I really am curious as to why you asked. What of the Transporter's original bits will be left over?

martin33100

Veteran Member
TDI
VW T5 2.5
OK, so then it would seem very little if any of the original T5's electronics would remain anyway. In essence, you are reskinning the Audi with the Transporter. So, I would hardly call your question as necessary as I would have thought. You are going to be removing most of the T5's innards anyway, why not just use (in addition to the engine/trans) the Audi's ABS, Cluster, etc., etc. ?
Not trying to be snarky here, I really am curious as to why you asked. What of the Transporter's original bits will be left over?
Your not being snarky at all, I was basically asking if it was possible in any way to just use the Audi engine, engine loom and ECU but configure it in a way that it doesn't require a speed input from the T5's ABS system.
I admit the blue T5 above that had the engine transplant used an earlier B7 platform engine and not a B8 like I would like to use.

martin33100

Veteran Member
TDI
VW T5 2.5
If you can consider standalone racing ECU I can help you for v6tdi also cuaa 2.0
Bobby Singh has currently done the maps on my T5 for the last 3 years and die to his experience on the B8 V6's I was thinking of using OE management and letting him do all the mapping.

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
audi a4 2.5 tdi 98 quatrro 6speed
You're being brave tackling that engine swap on a t5...as for Bobby mapping your motor is one of the best choices so far, he really shines with edc 17 ecu's ! I would have done it a bit differently just as oilhammer pointed: fit the t5 shell onto the b8 audi floorpan
...you then have all the modules work just as they should !

martin33100

Veteran Member
TDI
VW T5 2.5
You're being brave tackling that engine swap on a t5...as for Bobby mapping your motor is one of the best choices so far, he really shines with edc 17 ecu's ! I would have done it a bit differently just as oilhammer pointed: fit the t5 shell onto the b8 audi floorpan
...you then have all the modules work just as they should !
If I do a conversion I will be buying a complete working car so I would have every bit to transplant in the T5 if required.