ECU reprogram needed after EGR delete?

DieterLange

TDI
2004 Mk5 Golf 2.0 TDI (BKD)
Hi, looking at deleting my egr (complete delete) since I'm taking off the entire EGR system to take of the cylinder head, I'm planning on using this kit. I know that deleting the EGR will cause a CEL becuase the ECU wont pickup the EGR system or valve but after doing some research I found that some people say that doing an EGR delete causes the car to go into limp home mode and others say you'll only get a CEL.

So my question is, is it possible to do an EGR delete now and drive the car without any issues other than CEL, and then program out the EGR later down the line when I get a remap done? Also does having a vacuum operated EGR valve make a difference as to how the ECU responds to an EGR delete and is its possible to program out the EGR with a VAG-COM for the time being?

mk1chris

TDI
mk1 golf with pd130 swap ,mk5 ppd 170 bmn daily
you can do a delete mechanically or with software
no matter what the ecu needs to be flashed to turn off the eml
cant do it with vcds ,it wont limp mode
if you had mpps or similar i could egr delete youre ecu flash for you (y)

DieterLange

TDI
you can do a delete mechanically or with software
no matter what the ecu needs to be flashed to turn off the eml
cant do it with vcds ,it wont limp mode
if you had mpps or similar i could egr delete youre ecu flash for you (y)
So full egr removal/delete won't result in car going into limp mode like I've been told? Im planning to get my car tuned by a local shop in December which includes EGR programed out.

mk1chris

TDI
mk1 golf with pd130 swap ,mk5 ppd 170 bmn daily
unless you create a leak in the system which causes a boost leak it shouldnt limp mode

Andre Sowell

TDI
2006 mk5
i have a kit it was the second one i got is there like 2 different 1.9s how easy was it to do and is it run your tdi better really i keep hearing it dont

EZ2PLZ

TDI
2006 vw jetta
I just performed a delete on my 1.9. I also had to rebuild the turbo so all of that was already out of the way. You have two coolant lines. If you don't want to drain your coolant you can clamp them both off with needle nose vise grips. Your kit will come with two block off plates and a 90 elbow. Disconnect the two coolant lines and connect them together with the 90 elbow. Then remove the two bolts from the egr valve and the exhaust manifold. You now have four bolts and vacuum line still to go. Remove them and maneuver the cooler out of the engine bay. The oil drain line from your turbo will make this difficult and you may have to disconnect it to get the cooler out. Cap off the vaccum line from above and install your two block off plates. Remove the electronic plug from your egr and you are done. Engine lights will be on but it won't affect the drive other than a slight performance gain, and less soot buildup.

DieterLange

TDI
Quick update, ended up just getting two blocking plates and putting one on the outlet of the EGR cooler and the other on the inlet for the EGR valve. Haven't been able to take my car for a test drive yet as its only jack stands cause I'm waiting for some new rear hubs to arrive. I have turned on the car and let it get up to operating temp (mainly cause I also fixed and oil leak and did an oil change and wanted to check if it was solved) and so far no engine codes. I'll post an update when i actually take it for a drive.

EZ2PLZ

TDI
2006 vw jetta
Quick update, ended up just getting two blocking plates and putting one on the outlet of the EGR cooler and the other on the inlet for the EGR valve. Haven't been able to take my car for a test drive yet as its only jack stands cause I'm waiting for some new rear hubs to arrive. I have turned on the car and let it get up to operating temp (mainly cause I also fixed and oil leak and did an oil change and wanted to check if it was solved) and so far no engine codes. I'll post an update when i actually take it for a drive.
Did you leave your egr plugged in?

DieterLange

TDI
So far I haven't had any issues just the emission light on the dash, my fuel economy has improved but that could be unrelated and just a coincidence. I have had an issue with the car idling higher when at a light occasionally (1000rpm instead of 800rpm) fairly sure its unrelated to the EGR delete and probably something to do with the ASV valve when I have spare time ill check it out. Pretty happy so far with the EGR delete, I had to take off the ASV and EGR valve to replace a worn o-ring and it looks much cleaner with almost zero build-ups, apart from a bit of oil (might add a catch can to stop that).