ECU reprogram needed after EGR delete?

DieterLange

TDI
2004 Mk5 Golf 2.0 TDI
Hi, looking at deleting my egr (complete delete) since I'm taking off the entire EGR system to take of the cylinder head, I'm planning on using this kit. I know that deleting the EGR will cause a CEL becuase the ECU wont pickup the EGR system or valve but after doing some research I found that some people say that doing an EGR delete causes the car to go into limp home mode and others say you'll only get a CEL.

So my question is, is it possible to do an EGR delete now and drive the car without any issues other than CEL, and then program out the EGR later down the line when I get a remap done? Also does having a vacuum operated EGR valve make a difference as to how the ECU responds to an EGR delete and is its possible to program out the EGR with a VAG-COM for the time being?

mk1chris

TDI
mk1 golf with pd130 swap ,mk5 ppd 170 bmn daily
you can do a delete mechanically or with software
no matter what the ecu needs to be flashed to turn off the eml
cant do it with vcds ,it wont limp mode
if you had mpps or similar i could egr delete youre ecu flash for you (y)

DieterLange

TDI
2004 Mk5 Golf 2.0 TDI
you can do a delete mechanically or with software
no matter what the ecu needs to be flashed to turn off the eml
cant do it with vcds ,it wont limp mode
if you had mpps or similar i could egr delete youre ecu flash for you (y)
So full egr removal/delete won't result in car going into limp mode like I've been told? Im planning to get my car tuned by a local shop in December which includes EGR programed out.

mk1chris

TDI
mk1 golf with pd130 swap ,mk5 ppd 170 bmn daily
unless you create a leak in the system which causes a boost leak it shouldnt limp mode

Andre Sowell

TDI
2006 mk5
i have a kit it was the second one i got is there like 2 different 1.9s how easy was it to do and is it run your tdi better really i keep hearing it dont