Eco Vandalism

Kayakkermit

Veteran Member
Joined
Jun 9, 2005
Location
Ontario
TDI
Jetta TDI, 2002, Silver
WASHINGTON — When Gareth Groves brought home his massive new Hummer, he knew his environmentally friendly neighbors disapproved. But he didn't expect what happened next. The sport utility vehicle was parked for five days on the street before two masked men smashed the windows, slashed the tires and scratched into the body: "FOR THE ENVIRON."
"The thought of somebody vandalizing it never crossed my mind," said Gareth Groves, who lives near American University in Northwest Washington. "I've kind of been in shock."
Police said they see small acts of vandalism in the area from time to time, but they have not seen anything so severe, or with such a clear political message, in recent years.
"This seems to be an isolated event," Cmdr. Andy Solberg said.
Investigators said they are searching for the vandals but don't have many leads. Witnesses said they saw two men smash up the seven-foot-tall SUV early Monday and then run off.
Now, as Groves contemplates what to do with the remains of his $38,000 Hummer, he has had to deal with a number of people who have driven by the crime scene and glared at him in smug satisfaction
"I'd say one in five people who come by have that 'you-got-what-you-deserve' look," said his friend Andy Sexton.</SPAN>
Neighbor Lucille Liem, who owns a Prius hybrid, said that a common sentiment in the neighborhood is that large vehicles such as the Hummer are impractical and a strain on the Earth.
"The neighborhood in general is very concerned with the environment," said Liem, whose Prius gets about 48 miles a gallon compared with the Hummer's 14 miles a gallon. "It's more liberal leaning. It's ridiculous to be driving a Hummer."
Liem quickly added that she does not condone violence. :rolleyes:


</SPAN>
 

Gil

Veteran Member
Joined
May 16, 2004
Location
Wallingford CT
TDI
2002 auto wagon and 2004 stick
Nazis did everything for the "good of the Volk".
If you have a good cause you can get away with anything.
 

hevster1

Vendor
Joined
Nov 14, 2005
Location
Columbia NJ
TDI
98 NB
Define good cause....A persons property should be free of this kind of threat. If that happened here in NJ the Gorons (yes I spelled it correctly) if caught by the PD would be lucky...till they got out. Then a little payback would be in order.
 

keggo

Veteran Member
Joined
May 12, 2007
Location
SF Bay Area
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
Meh... serves that guy right. People know the facts, people can plainly see/feel what's happening with the environment... but they don't care. Who cares about their kids... or their grandkids? 14mpg.... ha... epa estimates are too generous. Though I hate vandalism, I still have to say that I am happy to hear about this. Where's Captain Planet when we need him to smite all the Hummer drivers?
 

badgolfer

Veteran Member
Joined
Feb 23, 2006
Location
Illinois
TDI
2006 Jetta
keggo said:
Meh... serves that guy right. People know the facts, people can plainly see/feel what's happening with the environment... but they don't care. Who cares about their kids... or their grandkids? 14mpg.... ha... epa estimates are too generous. Though I hate vandalism, I still have to say that I am happy to hear about this. Where's Captain Planet when we need him to smite all the Hummer drivers?
So you get to decide who can drive what kind of vehicle?
 

catmandoo

Veteran Member
Joined
May 9, 2005
Location
ia
TDI
2000 jetta gls tdi,91 2dr jetta gl n/a diesel
what i have found out about hummer drivers is they might have been nice people before they bought one but once they got it they turned into arrogant a-holes that think they own the world.
 

mavapa

Veteran Member
Joined
Aug 29, 2000
Location
rome, ga
TDI
2001 golf
But the a-holes need those Hummers for their long treks through trackless wilds, blazing trails where no civilized man has gone before.
 

40X40

Experienced
Joined
Feb 12, 2006
Location
Kansas City area, MO
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Terrorism is terrorism. Rationalize it any way that makes you feel superior.

The cure is to make the perps DRT, then call the police. Anyone can buy and drive any kind of vehicle they like, they don't have to 'NEED' a specific type. They don't need 'YOUR' permission either...
Egging a car on prom night is vandalism, but the minute you scratch a POLITCAL slogan on it, it is terrorism.... Got it?

Bill
 
Last edited:

darkscout

Grammar Scout
Joined
May 28, 2006
Location
Michigan
TDI
2003 Golf
40X40 said:
Terrorism is terrorism. Rationalize it any way that makes you feel superior.
I support terrorism. School children all across America support terrorism daily (at least I did). Everyone I know has a pretty big party celebrating one of the largest acts of terrorism on American soil. Terrorism supported by (now) illegal drugs and a black market of goods to avoid the tax man.

I can't stand militaries who sit and whine about "wartime etiquette" and "rules of war." ***. It's WAR. THERE ARE NO RULES. Guerrilla tactics are how things are done. Random attacks, targeting officers, blowing up bridges when retreating.

Gil said:
Godwinned on the 2nd post.

Kayakkermit said:
THE ARTICLE
I don't condone Hummer violence, but I still think that's a bit funny.
 
Last edited:

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
Joined
Feb 21, 2006
Location
NJ
TDI
2017 Bolt EV, 2015 Spark EV
What if the eco-terrorists start trashing our TDIs because they're diesels and in their minds, diesels are evil. Would it be ok to wreck them?
 
Last edited:

no-blue-screen

TDI Nut
Joined
Feb 9, 2006
Location
Maryland
TDI
TDI
The fact of the matter simply:

People can drive what they want and don't have to justify that to anyone else...except their husband/wife...period.

There are laws against malicious destruction of property...which is what this is....period.

Most of us do make logical choices, but there are a lot of people out there that don't. This guy probably always wanted a hummer and he spent his money to get it....does he need it....maybe not...but it's his...if you say it's okay to do that because his truck gets poor fuel economy...where does it stop...blowing up houses....killing people...bla bla bla.

No matter how you cut it..it wasn't right....but it is a little funny though. I personally hate hummers and think they are a total waste.
 

61scout80

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 3, 2006
Location
Maricopa, az
TDI
03 jetta
catmandoo said:
what i have found out about hummer drivers is they might have been nice people before they bought one but once they got it they turned into arrogant a-holes that think they own the world.

i drive a jeep, and 4 wheel, i must be satan too :rolleyes:


the fact of the matter is we are a free county, free to make our decisions. freedom means disagreements, and you need to live with that to be free. what sort of cowardice does it take to attack someones vehicle?

why don't these save the world types go after the real problems? how about all the pollution from major manufacturers over seas? what about all the crap china is doing? how about the politicians traveling by private jets cross country several times a week to tell everyone to be more environment friendly by buying more expensive light bulbs?

no one wants to step up and attack the real problems, its way easier to go after some clown that wants to drive a refrigerator. In the grand scheme of things the guy with the hummer isn't hurting much.

if you think smashing a hummer will save the world, why don't you eliminate your "carbon footprint" and make yourself fertilizer for a flower bed.
 

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
Joined
Nov 19, 2003
Location
Richmond, BC, Canada
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
Now that his hummer is all smashed up anyway, he should weld a bunch of plate steel all over it, paint it camoflage and put bullet-proof tires on it.

His neighbours will love that. They obviously had something to do with it. Now make them have to look at the monstrosity forever.
 

keggo

Veteran Member
Joined
May 12, 2007
Location
SF Bay Area
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
badgolfer said:
So you get to decide who can drive what kind of vehicle?
Not necessarily. I'm all for freedoms, but when there are and have been huge effects on the environment because of a-holes like that guy, it gives me the right to protect what is all of ours; if you hadn't guessed, um... the environment we live in? Not just the U.S., but everywhere. To sum it all up, I don't want to decide what people drive, as for being a "responsible" adult he should've been able to make the call himself as to whether or not to buy the thing. A LOT of people only care about self indulgences and live in a tiny bubble where they say "f- the world, what about what I want"... I'm not one of those people and would happily burst anyones bubble that thinks that.
 

61scout80

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 3, 2006
Location
Maricopa, az
TDI
03 jetta
keggo said:
Not necessarily. I'm all for freedoms, but when there are and have been huge effects on the environment because of a-holes like that guy, it gives me the right to protect what is all of ours; if you hadn't guessed, um... the environment we live in? Not just the U.S., but everywhere. To sum it all up, I don't want to decide what people drive, as for being a "responsible" adult he should've been able to make the call himself as to whether or not to buy the thing. A LOT of people only care about self indulgences and live in a tiny bubble where they say "f- the world, what about what I want"... I'm not one of those people and would happily burst anyones bubble that thinks that.
so the H2's are the reason the environment is polluted? not about 100 years of industry not caring or knowing what their out put was...


that a-hole bought a vehicle that was deemed 100% legal by the government we elected. seriously, before you worry about the small pollutant out of the tail pipe of an H2 why don't you look at the major polluters.
 
Last edited:

keggo

Veteran Member
Joined
May 12, 2007
Location
SF Bay Area
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
mavapa said:
But the a-holes need those Hummers for their long treks through trackless wilds, blazing trails where no civilized man has gone before.
LOL... It's so all the idiots that drive them can journey across the Atlantic and romp in the safaris of Africa. More than likely, they'd aim for the animals too... lol
 

keggo

Veteran Member
Joined
May 12, 2007
Location
SF Bay Area
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
61scout80 said:
so the H2's are the reason the environment is polluted? not about 100 years of industry not caring or knowing what their out put was...
Jeez man... I never said it didn't have anything to do with that. It's the same mentality now as it was 100 years ago, but now they know the effects on the environment, yet the pig-headedness still remains. I'm not pinpointing it to ONE vehicle... hell, I had a '91 Toyota 4Runner up until about a month ago. I loved the thing, but not as a daily driver. I like camping in it and "treading lightly". But, I only did that probably once a year... The 4Runner has since sold and I'm very happy about it. The guy I sold it to is more than likely going to do a TDI conversion as well... Plus, my 17 year old truck, got the same if not better gas mileage than a lot of the newer trucks... what does that tell you?
 

61scout80

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 3, 2006
Location
Maricopa, az
TDI
03 jetta
keggo said:
my 17 year old truck, got the same if not better gas mileage than a lot of the newer trucks... what does that tell you?

it tells me until the fuel price tripled no one was worried about saving fuel. people wanted to be comfortable, have more power, and *think* they were safe. now the price of fuel is up, people want more economy, and you'll start seeing it soon.


we shouldn't focus on more laws to prevent people from having things, we certainly shouldn't be condoning the smashing of some ones vehicle. we should be more interested in educating the public on what is fact, what is fiction and what is theory. we should also educate people on how to seperate the 3.

the price of fuel going up was the best thing to wake people up about pollutants. when i moved to phoenix a year and a half ago i seen H2's everywhere, with one person driving, sitting in traffic. the price of fuel went up and i'm pretty sure the aliens came down and took all the h2's the next day...seriously, i haven't seen one in a long time, there has to be car lots stacked with them.....

unfortunatly for everyone people do not know how to tell the difference between what is actually a problem and what isn't. people tend to listen to what the media says, and the media is careful not to make its sponsors look bad. to me that means any news that has commercials is bias....

from my four wheeling stand point there are so many people that are ill informed. there have been sections of land closed because ATV and OHV users are deemed dangerous to the environment. then a few months later a developer buys the land, bulldozes it and builds thousands of houses. go figure.
 

CoriolisSTORM

Veteran Member
Joined
Oct 17, 2006
Location
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
TDI
2006 Jetta BRM DSG
61scout80 said:
it tells me until the fuel price tripled no one was worried about saving fuel. people wanted to be comfortable, have more power, and *think* they were safe. now the price of fuel is up, people want more economy, and you'll start seeing it soon.


we shouldn't focus on more laws to prevent people from having things, we certainly shouldn't be condoning the smashing of some ones vehicle. we should be more interested in educating the public on what is fact, what is fiction and what is theory. we should also educate people on how to seperate the 3.

the price of fuel going up was the best thing to wake people up about pollutants. when i moved to phoenix a year and a half ago i seen H2's everywhere, with one person driving, sitting in traffic. the price of fuel went up and i'm pretty sure the aliens came down and took all the h2's the next day...seriously, i haven't seen one in a long time, there has to be car lots stacked with them.....

unfortunatly for everyone people do not know how to tell the difference between what is actually a problem and what isn't. people tend to listen to what the media says, and the media is careful not to make its sponsors look bad. to me that means any news that has commercials is bias....

from my four wheeling stand point there are so many people that are ill informed. there have been sections of land closed because ATV and OHV users are deemed dangerous to the environment. then a few months later a developer buys the land, bulldozes it and builds thousands of houses. go figure.
Totally agree. I drive a Jeep as well and follow tread lightly in anything I do. Its not right period. Nobody should be able to force you not to drive your vehicle. **** off and dont look at it if it bothers you that much. Of course, the Prius "ecologically friendly wannabes" conveniently forget what the area around the nickel production plant in canada looks like... I realize as well that the factory has made steps to reduce pollution, but that doesn't seem to be helping the area at this point.
 

hevster1

Vendor
Joined
Nov 14, 2005
Location
Columbia NJ
TDI
98 NB
keggo said:
Not necessarily. I'm all for freedoms, but when there are and have been huge effects on the environment because of a-holes like that guy, it gives me the right to protect what is all of ours; if you hadn't guessed, um... the environment we live in? Not just the U.S., but everywhere. To sum it all up, I don't want to decide what people drive, as for being a "responsible" adult he should've been able to make the call himself as to whether or not to buy the thing. A LOT of people only care about self indulgences and live in a tiny bubble where they say "f- the world, what about what I want"... I'm not one of those people and would happily burst anyones bubble that thinks that.
Californians....A state where if your polluter meets criteria you can get a waiver for emissions. Can't do that in NJ, NY or most other states. Stinks of hypocracy to me.
What element you seem to be missing is the FACT that he can buy whatever he feels like as long as he has the cash. He should NOT have to worry about twits who under the guise of doing the right thing for the environment vandalizing his vehicle. I would love to see someone try to do that to me. IF they ever got out of the hospital they would be in jail. He did nothing illegal remember. And contrary to popular belief he did nothing to damage the environment. The real problems are from the manufacturing sector and aircraft when it comes to smog. Oh and to really burst your bubble, when gore's kid got caught doing 100 in his Prius he was getting about 15mpg. Recently a friend purchased a highlander hybrid and towed 2 motorcycles to daytona and got 9 MPG. The hummer would have been better.
I digress however. Property rights are in the constitution. Blaming hummer drivers for a perceived problem that is IMHO total hype and nonsense is ridiculous. reminds me of the *******s who strung the rope to knock the Dirt Bike rider off his bike. They were caught and are going to do time. They nearly killed him. But thats ok to you I guess Keggo.
 
Last edited:

Syndicate

Veteran Member
Joined
May 14, 2007
Location
FL
TDI
14 Q7 TDI Sline, 09 335d
__I keep hoping for the day that everyone for "Global warming" realizes its all going to be ok.

__The world isnt going anywhere for eons. The world was once know as flat, look how that turned out.

__I also vote people like keggo be constitutionaly violated into only being 'allowed' to ride a bike to work. (even if you did once drive a 4runner) ;)
 

keggo

Veteran Member
Joined
May 12, 2007
Location
SF Bay Area
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
Think and say what you will... that's what public forums are about. I'm not going to argue anymore as obviously everyone in here has strong ideas on all points of the spectrum. I don't condone violence (clotheslining a dirtbike rider) nor do I condone vandalism. If you want to debate what causes more greenhouse emissions, be my guest.
 

2slowtdi

Veteran Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2004
Location
Dallas Tx
TDI
2003 ALH Bora gone. 2006 Benz CDI 235hp 420ftlbstq
I did not care when they started vandlizing SUV's.

Then I did not care when they vandalized trucks.

Then I did not know who to turn to when they started to vandalize soot
making diesels as no one cared.



In some peoples eyes diesels are as bad as a H2's no matter what size.

I don't live in a totalitarian state and hope I never will.
 

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
Joined
Dec 4, 2001
Location
Williamstown, Mass
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
How do we know the guy didn't have a Greasecar system in his Hummer?

What happens with the batteries in Hybrids when they need to be replaced? Can the nickel and other metals be recycled?

As clean as we like to think our TDIs are "green", they're still Diesels.
 

catmandoo

Veteran Member
Joined
May 9, 2005
Location
ia
TDI
2000 jetta gls tdi,91 2dr jetta gl n/a diesel
61scout80 said:
i drive a jeep, and 4 wheel, i must be satan too :rolleyes:


the fact of the matter is we are a free county, free to make our decisions. freedom means disagreements, and you need to live with that to be free. what sort of cowardice does it take to attack someones vehicle?

why don't these save the world types go after the real problems? how about all the pollution from major manufacturers over seas? what about all the crap china is doing? how about the politicians traveling by private jets cross country several times a week to tell everyone to be more environment friendly by buying more expensive light bulbs?

no one wants to step up and attack the real problems, its way easier to go after some clown that wants to drive a refrigerator. In the grand scheme of things the guy with the hummer isn't hurting much.

if you think smashing a hummer will save the world, why don't you eliminate your "carbon footprint" and make yourself fertilizer for a flower bed.
i don't have near the opinion of jeep owners as i do of hummer owners.people with jeeps seem to be into 4 wheeling in one way or another and seem to be more interested in the environment,whereas the hummer owner just wants to say look at me get out of my way,kiss my a$$.i don't condone what happened but as others have said it is funny.theres a guy here in town that has a hummer,one of those stupid ones with the little 3 foot bed.i was at the bank one day letting my girlfriends kid go in and cash his check,i was pulled up right in front with my truck running and i had my foot on the brake(manual trans) so my brakelights were on,anyway this moron in his hummer pulls up right behind me and sets there.kid comes out and gets in and hummer boy is still setting there.so i just pop it in reverse and start backin up.he starts laying on the horn like i didn't see him,i just keep on backing up.he finally gets the message and moves.he gets the finger as i leave too.
 

61scout80

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 3, 2006
Location
Maricopa, az
TDI
03 jetta
catmandoo said:
i don't have near the opinion of jeep owners as i do of hummer owners.people with jeeps seem to be into 4 wheeling in one way or another and seem to be more interested in the environment,whereas the hummer owner just wants to say look at me get out of my way,kiss my a$$.i don't condone what happened but as others have said it is funny.theres a guy here in town that has a hummer,one of those stupid ones with the little 3 foot bed.i was at the bank one day letting my girlfriends kid go in and cash his check,i was pulled up right in front with my truck running and i had my foot on the brake(manual trans) so my brakelights were on,anyway this moron in his hummer pulls up right behind me and sets there.kid comes out and gets in and hummer boy is still setting there.so i just pop it in reverse and start backin up.he starts laying on the horn like i didn't see him,i just keep on backing up.he finally gets the message and moves.he gets the finger as i leave too.

as far as hummers on trails, i have not met one hummer owner off road who isn't VERY serious about tread lightly and wheeling responsibly. i have seen countless dummys with hummers on the street.

off road i have seen countless dummies in jeeps. i think its because they are more affordable. many jeep drivers are extremely eco friendly, but there are a few that really have the dumb attitiude of "its a jeep, i can mow down trees with it". i've nearly been in fist fights with idiots of that mentality. luckily they backed down, i guess i'm scary looking :D


the really sad thing was the day in table mesa when i seen a guy in a golf unloading a bunch of junk to shoot at. when i left he was gone but all the bottles, cans and other garbage was left behind. i wish i would have known :mad:
 

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
Joined
Apr 26, 2001
Location
Oregon, WI
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
keggo said:
Meh... serves that guy right. People know the facts, people can plainly see/feel what's happening with the environment... but they don't care. Who cares about their kids... or their grandkids? 14mpg.... ha... epa estimates are too generous. Though I hate vandalism, I still have to say that I am happy to hear about this. Where's Captain Planet when we need him to smite all the Hummer drivers?
you're an idiot....period. What about the cost and enviromental impact of the repairs? What do you say to that? left coast.....

What about all the p***** driving BMW or Mercs that nobody messes with? Huh? They get 14 on a good day. All the workmans vans and trucks? How about all them too. Idiot. No apologies for or to you. The batteries cause more enviromental damage than the us of the fuel.
 

Rexking414

Veteran Member
Joined
Jun 8, 2006
Location
Wisconsin
TDI
02 jetta
jasonTDI said:
The batteries cause more enviromental damage than the us of the fuel.:eek:
Amen!


CoriolisSTORM said:
Of course, the Prius "ecologically friendly wannabes" conveniently forget what the area around the nickel production plant in canada looks like...
Amen!


The article forget to mention that the energy used to make ONE "1" Toyota prius battery production and all, is the SAME amount of energy to make THREE "3" Hummers.:confused: :rolleyes: He should put a big sign on his lawn that says that. This neighbors are gonna be like...oohhh crap... I read the source, i don't have it off hand but i can probably find it again if anyone don't believe that. I don't know about you but the more power we use the more soot(coal power), Nuclear waste(nuclear power) that gets created.
 
Last edited:
Top