ECM relay shroud removal

tdiblair

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat 2005 silver Passat Sedan & 2005 Wagon Stone Henge Gray
Ok, just pulled the wiper arms off with a mini puller.

Next on the skinny black plastic shroud immenidately under the windshield wiper arms ( not the big two part battery shroud which I already pulled off ) - I've found 2 clips on the smaller shroud directly under the windshield and wiper arm which I can't remove, yet. One holding the middle of the shroud the other over by the driver's side removed - thinking their should be a 3rd pull off retaining clip over by the passanger side near the cabin air filter but not finding one. Didn't see any mention of these retaining clips on the instructions on the web site.

Next the instructions show a pop out circular plug next to the drivers wiper arm and 4 screws you are suppose to removed. I'm confused on that "4 screws you can see" - my guess is that little plug I just popped out can only access (1) screw.

I'm too stupid to figure out how to get this last shrould off so I can access the 219 Relay to the ECM which is prone to fail - any help on where these 4 screws are that I can't find and why am I not finding a 3rd slide of retaining clip over by the passenger side? Where have I failed?
The read on line instructions and still having issues.

I don't know where these 4 screws are....and thinking there has to be a 3rd slide off retainging clip holding the passenger side of that shroud and not finding it either. Maybe it's a senior moment I'm having.

Blair

LoneLIPumpeDuse

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat,04,BLUE GRAPHITE PRL
I don't think you have the right instructions. After the wiper arms are removed (and the plastic washer under them) There are 2 clips (only) in the middle and on the drivers side holding the cowl down. They pull stright back (hold onto them!) The hard part is how the cowl is fit from the factory to the windscreen. The PDF shows to use a series of wedges between the windscreen and the top of the cowl. I was reluctant to do it below freezing temps for fear of cracking the cowl (so beware) I pryed from the drivers side first using thick cardboard as my wedges. (Careful not to crack the windscreen either:D ) As you work your way across to the passenger side it is the pulled down and out (opposite of how you would put it in the clip holders). Popping it out was abit of a PITA and never fit back in as well from factory( Iguess that what the clips are for;)) While your in there you should fix the air plenum gasket and do the battery upgrade.

Here are directions for the cowl
http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/500/Cowl_Service_Action_Circular.pdf

Last edited:

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
There are 5 screws holding the black cover on the ECU one. Four screws are readily accessible and the 5th is through that round hole. Once the cover is off the ECU, you will see relay 219 to the left of it.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Don't need to remove the wipers.

Don't need to remove the cowl cover.

That little plug is in the cowl cover specifically for access to the wiring pass-through/ECU cover withOUT having to pull the cowl cover off.

Turn the wipers on, then shut the key off when the wipers are up on the windshield (they will stay that way so long as the key remains off). Then pop the plug out, and you can get to the hidden bolt. The other 4 are easily seen. Then slide/shimmy the cover forward and out (it is a snug fit). Then the ECU and relay 219 are exposed. This is also where the main 80A glow plug fuse lives, for future reference if needed.

tdiblair

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat 2005 silver Passat Sedan & 2005 Wagon Stone Henge Gray
Lone Li PUmpe, Tony & Oil Hammer,

Thanks, I finally figured it out - unfortunately before I saw your posts.
Took the wipers off anyway to anti-seize the spline and then pulled the shroud off which made the port hole un-necessary to the 5th screw.

I was confused when I read ' the 4 screws you can see" thinking they were part of the shroud and not the ECM cover. I just read it wrong and it hit me after a cup of coffee.

Well, on my 2005 wagon the original relay did have the two leads going to the 87 position on the relay. Hope I got that right. So I assume when the wagon was made they got the upgraded relay.

Tomorrow it's the sedan.

I'm assuming it's the upgraded relay because on the diagram I see two black lines printed out on the side of the relay cover 'both' going to the 87 terminal.

Thanks,

Blair