Easy Lubro Moly Diesel Purge How-To - with pics!!

TDIMK4GUY

TDI
02 reflex silver golf
BUMP... the stuff this product cleans off the injectors, is it basically the same stuff that builds up in the intake? And if so would useing this stuff in the tank help to reduce the intake build up? I KNOW my intake is getting clogged but do to the fact i live in a apt complex i cant work on it here and i'm just not ready to swallow the $400.00 bill the stealership quoted me. any help you guys can give me on tis would be very helpfull.. thanks

ARBY

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf Sportwagen - really want a F-150.
No, DP is run straight from the can, so it goes through the injector pump to the injectors and back to the can. It does not clean intakes. It is also meant to be run straight from the can, not added to the tank. Nothing I know of, if added to the tank, will reduce or eliminate intake plugging, save for ULSD. And in that event, if your intake is plugged, running ULSD will not unplug it. If your intake is plugged, the best thing to do is to pull it and clean it.

Tisey06

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2000 TDI, Golf 99.5 TDI
Diesel purge

Does anyone know where to get the Diesel Purge for a sick diesel engine in the Bay area, SF area ? thanks

sdk131

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GL RC1+
You could also just check in a few auto parts stores. I was surprised to find a whole selection of Lubro-Moly products at my local Advance Auto. It would be near all of the other fuel and oil additives.

highender

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
Hi:

Does anyone know if the biodiesel will also do the trick ? Biodiesel is known to clean the fuel systems....and in fact, it is known to remove all the deposits and gunk, so efficiently that one may need to change fuel filters after 1 month of switching to biodiesel. I had to switch fuel filters about 2 months after using biodiesel.

Does Diesel Purge do a better, similar, or worse job , than biodiesel ???

Tisey06

Veteran Member
TDI
Shoot this diesel purge really works, I just Diesel Purged my TDI Golf Yesterday and It sure was amazing today, It ran smoothly, It fires right up, before I did the purge, my golf was very letargic starting up sepecially when it was already warm, hey guys if you haven't Diesel purged your TDI, I recomend you do, you will hear and feel the difference,,My Jetta is next to the Purging table,,,,,, thanks a million Arby for the Post.

914fan

Veteran Member
TDI
1997, Jetta, Green
Ok you run the DP to get the crap out of the injectors, lines, pump, and combustion chamber. Some of that probably goes back into the bottle via the return line, right? That is why someone used a vw carb filter. (less than $1 at most AC VW shops) Why not use the cars filter to do this? Instead of hooking up this system after the filter, do it before the filter. Than the filter cleans the DP and you get a worry free experiance. Then replace the filter. Does that make sense? Could you run say redline cleaner or some other stuff instead of the DP? What about spraying some water into the intake at the same time or before to realy get it nice?

I have used redline in the filter when changed, but will do this process next time. Also I have run water with simple green through the intake using a spray bottle. It noticably cleaned the parts of the intake I could see, aswell as helping smoke. The CEL turned off after reconnecting all intake hoses, and I sprayed at the intake, AFTER the intercooler. I would love to find some way to spray steam at the turbo to clean out the impellers. It can't be any worse than the crap that hits it now. I realy need a beter ccv filter.

Great write up, thanks for the help and ideas.

Last edited:

timmyd

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS
Tisey06 said:
Shoot this diesel purge really works, I just Diesel Purged my TDI Golf Yesterday and It sure was amazing today, It ran smoothly, It fires right up, before I did the purge, my golf was very letargic starting up sepecially when it was already warm, hey guys if you haven't Diesel purged your TDI, I recomend you do, you will hear and feel the difference,,My Jetta is next to the Purging table,,,,,, thanks a million Arby for the Post.
I second this. I just did 2 cans of LM diesel purge and the car was like night and day. I pulled the fuel filter, drained it, and filled it with one 500ml can of diesel purge. I then disconnected the fuel suppy and return lines on the fuel tank side of the filter and hooked up my hoses. I ran untill the jar was empty then drove the car hard on the road giving it the "italian tune-up" with the remaining diesel purge in the fuel filter.

great stuff, engine is quiet (I can heard the turbo a lot more now)and there is more power.

nobody else noted it, but my car did smoke a bit while I reved the engine with diesel purge setup in place.

bosox_tdi

TDI
2003 Jetta GLS
me too

I'm on this- assuming I can get a can of LM before the start of this weekend (I already have the beer part of the process covered)- I'm probably going to use the McBrew variation as it looks simplest and will allow me to enjoy my beer quicker :)

I'm at 102,000, cleaned the intake at 98,000 (I've had Majetta since new) performance increase was mind boggling after cleaning the intake.

I'm assuming the diesel purge improvement will be more subtle, but I spend so much time in the car each week (3 hours or so a day) that very subtle shifts in performance, either positive or negative are duly noted.

jollyGreenGiant

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf TDI GLS ( my 5th TDI ), 03 Eurovan GLS - VR6 :(
Improvement in cold start performance/smoke ( like this AM here in MA 1.4 F at 7:00 AM ) can be rather dramatic.

Don't fool yourself into thinking that a LM dieselpurge will keep a set of injector nozzles at 100% past 200K though, they should be replaced between 100K and 150K as maintenance in my opinion.

Diesel and beer, what a fine combination!

Tisey06

Veteran Member
TDI
Red line and DP

I have used red line product through the years in my cars, like the diesel catalyst, 85 plus, and let me tell you, the minute that I used tha DP stuff directly into my fuel system, It really blew me away, I could hear my car a lot quiter and firing up a lot better,responding on the freeway efficiently, I think the whole idea of getting a saparate container with the hoses that Arby drew in the pics. is that the D.P stuff goes pure into the fuel pump and injectors, so it could really clean the injectors and the pump, I did it exactly like in the drawing. I am really impressed of the quality of this product. you should try it,,,, GO TDI'S

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
I'm not sure if it was noted in this thread (DD may have mentioned it), but several members have done used oil analysis tracking with every oil change and found lots of wear after performing this DP purge. I don't have time to search for the threads with those mentions, but IIRC, SunRG's UOA threads contain some of those posts.

It may be wise to change oil immediately after doing the DP purge, and only do this procedure infrequently. For some reason my car did not respond one iota to the cleaning.

jollyGreenGiant

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf TDI GLS ( my 5th TDI ), 03 Eurovan GLS - VR6 :(
Also, not too sure what repeated cleanings do to IP seals that may already be on the way out... Something tells me it's probably not the best thing for those seals.

unitacx

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 golf
2 questions:

timmyd said:
I just did 2 cans of LM diesel purge ... I pulled the fuel filter, drained it, and filled it with one 500ml can of diesel purge.
1. Why not just fill a new filter with the stuff and not bother with the hemodialysis kit? Or does all of the return fuel from the pump normally go back into the tank? (There are 2 lines on the fuel filter, but it's not clear why.)

2. You guys who are noticing a difference -- how many miles on the injectors?

- s

UPDATE
My W123 was running like a tractor with a hit-or-miss engine. I solved the problem on previous occasions with a bottle of Techron, and 2 bottles of el-cheapo injector cleaner. This time I used Power Service in the fuel filter. I don't know how long it took for it to have an effect since the first stop sign is something like 1/8 mile from the house! I did the Italian tuneup, which works particularly well with those cars.

I suppose the triple bypass dialysis kit is more effective, but when it comes time to clean the Golf, I'll just dump the stuff into a new filter and forget about trying to match the VW coolant diagram with my fuel lines!

Historical note: Techron was the diesel cleaner of choice back in the early/mid 1980's. I'm sure the stuff is good, but today's purpose formulated diesel injector cleaners are probably better.

Last edited:

ARBY

Veteran Member
TDI
unitacx said:
Or does all of the return fuel from the pump normally go back into the tank?
That is correct. That's why it is run straight, either from the LM can or from a new filter, filled with DP with the return lines disconnected.

timmyd

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS
unitacx said:
1. Why not just fill a new filter with the stuff and not bother with the hemodialysis kit? Or does all of the return fuel from the pump normally go back into the tank? (There are 2 lines on the fuel filter, but it's not clear why.)

2. You guys who are noticing a difference -- how many miles on the injectors?

- s
Well, I changed the filter about 5000km ago so I didn't need a new one:) . You can just fill the filter and forget about the whole jar and 2 tube setup, but mixing will occur in the fuel filter and the diesel purge will be slowly diluted as the IP draw more diesel purge and fuel from the gas tank replaces it in the fuel filter.

ARBY

Veteran Member
TDI
timmyd said:
Well, I changed the filter about 5000km ago so I didn't need a new one:) . You can just fill the filter and forget about the whole jar and 2 tube setup, but mixing will occur in the fuel filter and the diesel purge will be slowly diluted as the IP draw more diesel purge and fuel from the gas tank replaces it in the fuel filter.
...thus defeating the whole purpose of this thread. :rolleyes:

timmyd

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS
ARBY said:
...thus defeating the whole purpose of this thread. :rolleyes:

agreed, I was just stating that it could be done, not it should be done. Diesel Purge is already 65% diesel diluting anymore will limit its effectiveness

Tybrad

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDi
did this today, all went well after some cursing and elbow grease, i found though, i had to add some diesel fuel as 1 can was sucked right out of the bottle, and almost started sucking air. This can be attributed to doing a filter change as well. No big differences in sound as of yet! but when i revved it up, left i nice big black mark on the concrete at my exhaust!

timmyd

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS
Tybrad said:
did this today, all went well after some cursing and elbow grease, i found though, i had to add some diesel fuel as 1 can was sucked right out of the bottle, and almost started sucking air. This can be attributed to doing a filter change as well. No big differences in sound as of yet! but when i revved it up, left i nice big black mark on the concrete at my exhaust!
Did you prefill the fuel filter? I used 2 cans, 1 entire can went into the filter and the other into the jar that feeds the filter. Funny you should say about the black mark on the concrete, I just noticed today that mine left a pretty big black mark on the garage floor. I hope it cleared all the carbon from engine.

I noticed a reduced noice level and a smooth engine right away. upon driving the car on the road to use the remaining diesel purge still in the fuel filter the engine was WAY quiter and I could hear the turbo spool up really clear.

I almost think that you need 2 cans of diesel purge for it to work correctly. To keep the diesel purge from being diluted, you need to empty the fuel filter and fill it with diesel purge, which uses one whole can. So IMHO you need one can to fill the fuel filter and one can to feed the fuel filter as to not dilute the diesel purge.

Tybrad

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDi
yea i prefilled the filter, not to the max, but enough, but i think your right, 1 can for the filter, one to run through it! will remember it for next time. My old filter was black! kinda gross!. ive noticed more pick up though, kinda fun

97B4TDi

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 B4 Passat, 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
where can I find some LM Diesel Purge Locally? Anyone have any ideas?

bosox_tdi

TDI
2003 Jetta GLS
I got my two cans of LM from TDIparts.com in less than a day - of course I live in massachusetts, but it was really no hassle if you can't find it on the shelf locally

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
Tybrad said:
yea i prefilled the filter, not to the max, but enough, but i think your right, 1 can for the filter, one to run through it! will remember it for next time. My old filter was black! kinda gross!. ive noticed more pick up though, kinda fun
2 cans is unnecessary. It takes around half a can to prime the filter. Remember that the fuel return brings the DP back into the supply can. It will take quite awhile of running the engine before you suck air.

As nick has noted above- you should do this procedure shortly before changing the oil. I would advise doing this at every air filter change interval. This way you complete two tasks that will impact the quality of your oil at once. If you do this just before an oil change, you are maximizing the life of the oil and minimizing the negative impact on your lubrication.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
MalcolmBurke said:
Advanced Auto Parts started carrying the complete Lubro Moly line I think. Diesel Hi-Test is great too, btw.
The complete line of products is unavailable in N. America. My local AAP doesn't have any LM products on the shelf. They may be able to order them in some locations.

bosox_tdi

TDI
2003 Jetta GLS
Bought two cans only so I wouldn't have to pay for shipping twice- ;)

only planning on using one- when the temperature gets about 2F outside