Easy Lubro Moly Diesel Purge How-To - with pics!!

ARBY

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf Sportwagen - really want a F-150.
No accusations of hijacking here! But I must say that it appears that the DP I used was "past its prime." Geoff explained to me that when DP goes bad it turns red - maybe I should do this again to make sure I didn't do more harm than good.

ALCO

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 A3 Jetta, silver/2005 B5 Passat, silver
Bump for a handy how-to. The toughest part was getting the darn factory crimp clamp off the return line!

Edited for picture problem.

Cincy_Mike

Veteran Member
TDI
Auto 2003 Jetta GLS TDI - Galactic Blue
Okay... your post got me jazzed up about Diesel Purge again. I went up to Impex yesterday to pick up a bunch of stuff -- by the way, check out their part# ALH KIT OE
McBrew, are you sure that's the right part number? Doesn't seem to work.

03_01_TDI

Banned
TDI
Na
Nice write up..

But I think I'll just stick to my additives 2oz of Soyshield, 1oz of Power Master 405C, and 4oz of powerservice per tank.

I did search Liqui-Molys web page and they make some 505.01 oil for the PD engines.

Ricosuave

Veteran Member
TDI
See signature!
I did it this way, and it really is a lot easier than it looks. And it looks really easy!

I took 'er for a spin after, and I think I did notice an improvement. I'll keep an eye on the cold starts and the fuel economy and let you know.

BTW, I have an a3 jetta with the 1.9 IDI

rico

McBrew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS TDI, 5 speed, Silver/Grey
Cincy, yeah, the part number doesn't work... but it's right on their main web page... scroll down a bit and you'll see it.

Deuskid, that's not step 7. That's step 0.5! Gotta start out with a beer, or else no work will get done.

ARBY

Veteran Member
TDI
Bump as a must-do heading into the winter season! (Just did this today!)

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
What about just waiting until the end of a tank of fuel, and adding the DP via the tank at this point? Or even filling the fuel filter when the tank is almost empty, and running it thoroughly until fueling up? In other words, how much fuel do we think would have to be in the tank to dilute the DP to the point where it was ineffective?

delste

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon GLS 2004 Black/Black leather
Good point. The stuff is cheap enough that you could run down to the low fuel light, drive another 30-50 miles and dump in 3 cans and drive another 30 miles.

ARBY

Veteran Member
TDI
Re: Easy Lubro Moly Diesel Purge How-To - with pic

Actually, if you wanted to, you could secure the DP in the engine compartment and drive around the block a few times. The whole procedure takes about 20 minutes to use the whole bottle. But really, the point is to run it straight and it is so easy that there is really no reason why you couldn't do it like those above (and myself) have indicated.

VDubbing

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta Galactic Blue

Thanks buddy I did mine today. I couldnt find the lubro moly but i used wynns diesel purge. Seems like better power but maybe its in my head

soupaman305

TDI
2000 Golf IV GLS TDI White

okay, so i'm goin out to buy the stuff to do it but i only had one question.. after removing the fuel lines and hooking them up to the primed plastic tubing is there any need to 'plug up' the open ports where the fuel lines came from? i'm just thinking that some air might get in to the fuel filter like that. or am i wrong?
ps thanks Arby for settin it up and McBrew for the great pic

soupaman305

TDI

also can i purge the water and change the fuel filter while i'm doing this?
thanks

ARBY

Veteran Member
TDI

Don't worry about plugging the filter, the pump can handle some air getting into it and won't stumble a bit. Now, this may be different if you decide to drain the water separator at the same time as fuel drains out as well. you **may** need to prime the filter after doing doing this. now that i have some experience doing this procedure, you really don't need to prime the lines going to the diesel purge. if you work quickly enough only a little air will enter the line. you'll be fine. remember the final step.

soupaman305

TDI

thanks for the help! this was really easy and the pix just made it that much easier. great stuff, now i'm gonna go grab a beer and chill out.. ps i dont recommend doin this in a apartment complex, i think i pissed off a couple of people...

ARBY

Veteran Member
TDI

No, in fact there's a specific PD DP procedure listed in Wing Nut's How-To thread, you just have to take into account the fact that the filter/fuel pump arrangement is different on a PD than on a VE.

jollyGreenGiant

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf TDI GLS ( my 5th TDI ), 03 Eurovan GLS - VR6 :(
Worked great on my 180K B4V. Had some cold start rough running issues that seem to be a thing of the past... Definately would recommend this on those higher mileage injectors.

P.S. Thanks TDIParts for the poly lines, that definately made the job a lot easier...:D

FritzH

TDI
12 Jetta Sportwagen
I used this in my '78 MB 300D. Turned that old smoker into, well, an old smoker with better pickup, less noise, and a whole lot less smoke! That and the LM Diesel Hi-Test kept the 5 cylinder mill chugging away nicely.

debensey

Veteran Member
another way to use this stuff is to take two lengths of anealed copper tubing, (1/4", iirc) and 12" long and stick one each into the ends of the tubes going to and from the pump. I just shove the copper tubes into the ends of the rubber tubes where they connect to the filter and then put the other end of the copper tubes into the can of DP. Let it idle for a while. Rev it up some if you want to. When the can is more than half gone, connect the rubber tubes back to the filter, pour the rest of the DP in the fuel tank and you are done.

It does a good job for me.

bobla

TDI
2004 Jetta GLS, Silver
Diesel Purge Success??

Tried the diesel purge on my 2004 PD. Pretty much per the How To although without the inline filter. Started with 2 cans of diesel purge in a plastic milk bottle. All started well but then the fittings in the engine fuel lines started to leak and enough air got in to kill the engine. (Made the mistake of using 1/4" instead of 5/16" connectors cause that's what was readily available.) Added clamps to secure the connectors, used the Mityvac to purge the air and started up again. Ran for about 10 minutes at various RPM's when engine quit again. Checked set up and found poly tubing that came with Diesel Purge from TDI Parts had softened, (I would almost say melted as I could scrape pieces off with my fingernail), with the heat. Actually some flakes of it in the very hot diesel purge. The plastic milk bottle had softened up and started to leak also. Replaced the tubing with some 1/4" clear vinyl I had on hand, decanted the hot diesel purge to remove the crud, transfered the diesel purge liquid to a clean glass juice bottle which I set on the driveway with long enough tubing to reach. Again purged the air with the Mityvac and restarted the process. All went well from that point.

Just thought I would share this experience of how not to do things. Seemingly minor variations can cause unexpected problems. I now have the set up for future use and know what not to do. Haven't really driven the car since doing this today so am not sure what improvements may be. Wife didn't notice much difference on her shopping trip.

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
bobla said:
Checked set up and found poly tubing that came with Diesel Purge from TDI Parts had softened, (I would almost say melted as I could scrape pieces off with my fingernail), with the heat. Actually some flakes of it in the very hot diesel purge.
I had this happen recently on a PD engine. Kinda unnerving. I will never again use the supplied tubing on a PD, copper lines only.

I dropped Dan a note to let him know about this.

PD2004

TDI
2004 Platinum Gray Jetta PD
When you say copper lines, what do you mean? Did you cut copper (I'm assuming 1/4") for the bottle? Or is there more?