Easy Emergency Brake Adjuster Access!

kstef

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2005.5 Black
My Rear brakes lasted for ~60,000 mile, but with all the talk of the poor mileage, I'm still searching for issues!
Anyway, I didn't want to destroy the center console(lots of threads mentioning this)

I took the easy way out.

No Need to remove the center console!

I used a dremel/die grinder with a carbide cutter(burr) to make a access whole.

Please check out my access hole that I made!

Emergency Brake Adjustment Access

Sorry, I did not take a before pic.

I now have some free play after I loosened the adjuster a few turns.

Enjoy!

Keith

Mach1

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
05.5 Jetta 5 spd, 06 Jetta DE DSG, 04 F250 6L, 2000 F250 7.3L
Keith, were the cables too tight and needed loosening?

Dang, thats alot easier then disassembling the console...good idea!!!!!

kstef

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2005.5 Black
My E-Brake lever always seemed too snug.(No free play at all)
The lever is higher now with the E-Brake on, but it holds the car fine when I need it.
Yes, I vacuumed out the mess once I was done:D:D:D!

Mach1 said:
Keith, were the cables too tight and needed loosening?

Dang, thats alot easier then disassembling the console...good idea!!!!!

Mach1

TDI
Great mod, I may have to try it that way, it does cover?

kstef

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2005.5 Black
Two screws hold a cover "pocket" that ends up being used to catch mud and dirt from my sons shoes:p.

The access hole is not visible at all once the cover is back on.

I amazed myself that I came up with this!

Later,
Keith

Mach1 said:
Great mod, I may have to try it that way, it does cover?

Mach1

TDI
Looks good..

You amaze me as welll

just kidding...

rivercanoe

TDI
'06 Jetta Pkg 0
That's clever:cool: I'm going to try this over the weekend. I jacked up my car to check the resistivity of spinning the rear wheels. There is definintely a little more resistence on the left (drivers side) wheel. Hopefully, this will improve my mileage a bit :)

kstef

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2005.5 Black
I'll be in town(Syracuse)Oct 4th for the Big East Snomobile show.
Shall I bring my Drill?:D

LF06VWJTDI said:
I wonder how that would work in vehicles that feature the AC inverter/plug.

LF06VWJTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 MkV Jetta TDI
kstef said:
I'll be in town(Syracuse)Oct 4th for the Big East Snomobile show.
Shall I bring my Drill?:D
No I was just curious. I have the "mudpocket" just like you and I was planning on trying this out tomorrow. Not sure if I'm going to go with the drilling, maybe I can cut through somehow, we'll see.

Hey I think I'll go to the show, just look for a black "TLI" :p with Wolfsburg plates on. Can't miss it...;)

LF06VWJTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 MkV Jetta TDI
I did this e-brake adjustment today. I took my sweet time and went ahead and disassembled the whole console. The 10mm ratcheting wrench was all I needed once the console was out. I test drove the car once everything was put back together. I can definitely tell the difference compared to pre-adjustment. The car takes longer to decellerate and like someone was saying, it just keeps on rolling. I hope this little servicing will help with the mpg, but most of all I hope I will get lesser deposits of brake dust on my rear wheels. Washed the car and wheels are now spic and span, I want to see how long it takes to get brake dust deposits. Prior to the adjustment I had so much in a matter of a couple of days, that I could have made a new set of pads out of it.

PS: If anyone wants to do this service and disassemble the console, I must warn you that in order to take the e-brake frame you must unbolt both front seats and take them out. There are two T20 screws at the base of the frame that cannot be removed any other way but with the seats out. I hope this will save you a lot of cursing and swearing. I'm definitely going to hell after today. :D

Mach1

TDI
LF, you dont have to remove either seat, to do the adjustment.

You will experience all what you seek, better fuel economy, less brake dust, less rolling resistance, less noise/vibration while free-wheeling. Brakes will last longer.

ATLSilverTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Special Edition Jetta - Silver
Sigh...

I have the 115 V AC access, so not sure if this will work.

I took mine 2006.5 in for excessive brake wear on rear (complained that e-brake was sticking), got the call that they claim it isn't sticking. I told them not to do my brakes as I can get it done elsewhere with better material for nearly half the price. I am still trying to press them on the e-brake being to tight, and/or that they are binding.

I hope to have it back to me by 12:00 so I can get it done by a real mechanic. I wanted to do myself, but found a guy that would do it for basically 30 dollars labor and can have it done in about 2 hours.

Later,
John.

Mach1

TDI
2 hours, dang how many breaks is he going to take..At most its 15 min a side..

ATLSilverTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Special Edition Jetta - Silver
2 hours includes getting the parts brought in, pulled and hang the new pads and rotors, and me going over to pay for it. He said basically 1 hour, but I doubt the wisdom of techs when it comes to matters of the watch.

John.

Mach1

TDI
Yea, it would be closer to 1 hour, bring the car in, put on lift, pull tires, My parts are on the shelf, expand calipers..

I can tell you this you are getting a great deal on labor if you are just paying $30!!!!!

rivercanoe

TDI
'06 Jetta Pkg 0
I performed the E-Brake adjustment modification on my Jetta the other day. I jacked the car up and noticed that my driver's side rear wheel had slightly more resistance than the passenger side. I adjusted the emergency brake and eliminated the resistance all together. It seems like my fuel economy has improved. I think that highly efficient vehicles are probably sensitive to even the slightest resistance. I'm a happy camper. :D

rolling18

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetter 5 Sp.
kstef said:
My Rear brakes lasted for ~60,000 mile, but with all the talk of the poor mileage, I'm still searching for issues!
Anyway, I didn't want to destroy the center console(lots of threads mentioning this)

I took the easy way out.

No Need to remove the center console!

I used a dremel/die grinder with a carbide cutter(burr) to make a access whole.

Please check out my access hole that I made!

Emergency Brake Adjustment Access

Sorry, I did not take a before pic.

I now have some free play after I loosened the adjuster a few turns.

Enjoy!

Keith
can you post the picture in the thread???

when i click on the link, tells me i must be a registered user to vew this gallery, yet obviously I am registered and logged in..

or email it to me? rolling18@gmail.com :confused:

kstef

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2005.5 Black
Sorry, for some reason, I cannot post pics in my threads. If someone could tell me why/how, that would be great.

You must log into the gallery separately. Same user name and password as this site.

Thanks
Keith

rolling18 said:
can you post the picture in the thread???

when i click on the link, tells me i must be a registered user to vew this gallery, yet obviously I am registered and logged in..

or email it to me? rolling18@gmail.com :confused:

rolling18

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetter 5 Sp.
kstef said:
Sorry, for some reason, I cannot post pics in my threads. If someone could tell me why/how, that would be great.

You must log into the gallery separately. Same user name and password as this site.

Thanks
Keith
ok thanks i got in but was greeted with many choices.. where exactly is this picture? what album? or??
thanks!!:D

LF06VWJTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 MkV Jetta TDI
Ran a full tank since the adjustment.
I filled up the day I did it. Here's my MPG:

14.165gal. 37.2 prior to adjustment.
14.165gal. 38.3 after adjustment.

Not bad. I'm happy, considering this is ALL city driving.
Also, I checked my rear tires and there's minimum deposit of brake dust.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
LF06VWJTDI said:
Ran a full tank since the adjustment.
I filled up the day I did it. Here's my MPG:

14.165gal. 37.2 prior to adjustment.
14.165gal. 38.3 after adjustment.

Not bad. I'm happy, considering this is ALL city driving.
Also, I checked my rear tires and there's minimum deposit of brake dust.
There is at least one member (cujet) who is of the opinion that de-adjusting the parking brake is not enough. He feels the springs that are intended to overcome the parking brake cable tension and friction are not strong enough (the return to free springs).

So he added helper springs.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=223027

My 2005 has not needed them. He seems to think that the 2006 and up do need them.

I have no opinion, just passing along information.

DanG

LF06VWJTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 MkV Jetta TDI
DanG144 said:
There is at least one member (cujet) who is of the opinion that de-adjusting the parking brake is not enough. He feels the springs that are intended to overcome the parking brake cable tension and friction are not strong enough (the return to free springs).

So he added helper springs.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=223027

My 2005 has not needed them. He seems to think that the 2006 and up do need them.

I have no opinion, just passing along information.

DanG
Interesting. Thanks DanG. Yes I am following that thread as well and I just bumped it for some pics. I'm not sure if my car needs anything done to these springs. As I mentioned in previous posts, I disassembled the entire center console and from what I could clearly see, those two cables look pretty loose to me. I tested a few times by pulling and releasing the e-brake while adjusting the center screw and the tensioning looked fine.
I'll stand by for more info as it becomes available. For the time being, I'm happy with the 1MPG gain and the tremendously reduced brake dust. Perhaps I should reset the piston in the rear calipers and see if that makes any difference, but I really want to wait until next Spring when I'll be changing the rear pads.

Last edited:

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
Remember that slack at the handle end does not equate to slack at the business end.
That was his point, as I understand it; he had proper slack in the cabin, but his brakes were still not disengaging. You would have to check at the rear wheels to see if they were returning properly.

DanG

abakos

Veteran Member
TDI
-----
DanG144 said:
Remember that slack at the handle end does not equate to slack at the business end.
That was his point, as I understand it; he had proper slack in the cabin, but his brakes were still not disengaging. You would have to check at the rear wheels to see if they were returning properly.

DanG
I just finished my oil/filter/fuel filter service and decided to break out the dremel and drill for an adjustment screw. Hats off to the OP for this simple yet effective modification!!

The whole thing took me maybe 20 minutes from start to finish. I backed off the adjustment nut until I could see that there was an ever so small gap between it and the bracket attached to the ebrake cables.

Didn't go on a test drive yet, but the car rolls down the driveway a LOT easier now. I'll know more on my morning commute, but once again this is a great idea on how to gain quick access to that adjustment screw.

Thanks again!!!