Easy Emergency Brake Adjuster Access!

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
i need to preform this on my 2010, i can def feel the brakes holding me back when i first release it in the morning, so I am sure they are wearing down quite quick.

dr.zed

Veteran Member
My 09 has 91,000 kms on it. The rear brakes have always dusted up from minimal braking. In fact the two times I took the car to North Carolina from Toronto I could watch the brake dust collect. I even measured the rotor temp after a highway drive and coasting to a stop without the brakes. The rears were definitely sticking somehow.

At 91,000 I did my first set of rear pads which actually isn't that bad. There didn't appear to be an adjustor at the caliper it self nor at the cable, so I backed off the bolt one full turn hidden under the middle console (most of it had to come up).

Immediately the car has gone from an average of 5.9L / 100km (50-50 hard driving) to 5.5 - 5.7L (after three tanks). I've even seen 4.xL on my MFD a hand full of times after an hour highway run in the last 3 weeks. I've only ever seen that once before the adjustment in a two year period.

In fact I bet that if I did my NC run now I'd be 5.0L /100km.

I used NAPA premium ceramic pads which don't dust up as much anyway, but there has been literally NO dust. If anybody is doing this on their MKV at this first rear brake change make sure to get the brake kit with the new shims. Obviously all the heat generated for the sticking brakes (though the pads did last a LONG time considering that) warped and discoloured the shims and they didn't hold the new pads at all.

dtrvler

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5 spd
Last edited: